05 Caddy STS Antenna needed
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 05 Caddy STS Antenna needed in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Ok, I'm a newbie here however a long time user of these forums and know the hoops. That being said ...
    checkmate26 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

05 Caddy STS Antenna needed

Ok, I'm a newbie here however a long time user of these forums and know the hoops. That being said I bought a 05 STS in Oct and the GM Navigation (henceforth GPS) works ar 50% being that the Navigation and the Bluetooth are all jacked up. I took out the GPS out and noticed that the antenna wire that is dashmount is not there. Well I found one online and when it got here the plugs are the same.????? WTF???
    So I call the guy and he states that I ended up buying a Gen2 (2008-2010) instead of the Gen 1 (2005-2007) style and they do not have the Gen1 instock. Hmmm. I put it back in there and today I went to the Cadillac Dealership to have it reprogrammed (trying to troubleshoot this problem) since I've read here that should solve the problem. He tells me that this unit is not recieving a signal since there is not a antenna and if I want one installed its the WHOLE dash that comes out at $117/hour. No thanks I say. Ok the reason I post up here is that I'm in need of a 2005/07 Navigation Antenna to make this all work. Now I do have the one antenna and I think I need a male/male Fakra adaptor to get this to work. Any help is wanted, and yes I've read and saved the post about taking the dash out. It's to cold in the garage for that this time of the year.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ddalder is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Re: 05 Caddy STS Antenna needed

For factory placement, you must remove the dash carrier. This isn't to say that you can't place it elsewhere within range of the cable length. RF signals don't take well to passing through connectors. There is definite signal loss through each one. This is obviously necessary at times but you may find performance is degraded. I have the factory installed nav and antenna yet still find times where my GPS flag comes on and reception is marginal. I would definitely recommend acquiring the correct part.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Both our 2006 & 2007 GPS lose signal regularly. It has little affect on the performance of the Nav system. A goal of never seeing a loss of signal indicator tends pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    Both our 2006 & 2007 GPS lose signal regularly. It has little affect on the performance of the Nav system. A goal of never seeing a loss of signal indicator tends pointless.
    Respectfully, I disagree. I have had several occasions where I've needed to drive several kilometers to regain a GPS signal and have my mapping return to normal. The system has been inspected, along with signal strength readings, all found to be normal.

DD - How far North are you? I'm still a good 120 miles south of the 45th parallel. Maybe your reception is worse than ours. I know my GPS antenna wire has almost no slack in it at all. Refitting the Nav (and stuffing my Lockpick & uPAC-STS wiring back in) is a trick. (Hint: A piece of string helps a lot!)

Anyway, I'll admit when I engage the Lockpick, the Nav gets 'lost' pretty quick and eill show me driving through a nearby field as if there was another road. But that's after the VSS has been blocked for a while. I'm pretty sure the 2008 & up Nav uses different software and maybe the algorithm that 'stciks' the Nav position to the road is different as well.

For satellite radio, coverage can vary due to the limited number and location of satellites but for GPS telemetry it's pretty consistent worldwide. I'm at about the 51st but I don't think this is a factor.

I certainly agree with original response to the OP, recommending the correct part. I'm a bit surprised that you have an intermittant problem. I do recall other member posts but I wouldn't call it common.

Good luck!

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

mine has no GPS signal for NAV about 50-60% of the time. its all OEM nav and not added after the fact.
    XM always works (I do realize different antenna and location). I don't understand why they decided to use a dedicated antenna under the dash rather than piggybacking on either the same antenna as XM/OnStar or have dual antennas where the roof antenna is.

As you can see from the pic below, GM did kind of bury the antenna. Both the hood and the roof present obstacles to seeing the satellites. At least with XM, it's right on top of the roof. I can see why they don't try and share GPS and XM, but I don't understand why the position information isn't shared between the VCIM and navigation radio, especially since the OnStar GPS antenna is also on the roof. There should be a way for the VCIM to process the signal and broadcast the data to the nav system over the data bus.

RandallLee is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS

ddalder. Are you are still monitoring this topic? I have a 2006 without navigation. After reading a few hundred blogs on the subject of installing factory navigation (here and elswhere), I went ahead and ordered one. The nav unit hasn't arrived yet, but I've already received the factory DVD disks, mic, and GPS antenna from your above photo. I am wanting to do as much of the process as factory install as possible, but would love to avoid pulling the entire freaking dash out. Isthere a way around this? The factory GPS antenna I received (wi/pink connector) only has about an 16" leash so my options are limited. Any further thoughts on reception?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.