Considering buying my first Caddy
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Considering buying my first Caddy in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello everyone! I have been lurking for over a week, researching all there is to know about the Cadillac STS ...
    Oakland Raiders is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Considering buying my first Caddy

Hello everyone!

I have been lurking for over a week, researching all there is to know about the Cadillac STS 2005. I've been on the Cadillac site, read countless "test drive" articles, read people's pro's/con's in this forum, and looked at the STS in person (I haven't driven one yet). So far, I'm impressed, but I still haven't made up my mind yet. I wanted to just list a few of my own pro's and con's from my research and see if any current STS owners or past Cadillac owners might offer their $.02. I'm looking to make my decision by February on a new car.

Pro's:
    -American made: I've always owned American cars. Yes, I'm patriotic and want to support this country, but I also feel that American cars have made a big comeback in the last ten years. Past cars owned....1990 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Pontiac Trans-Am, 1999 Corvette Coupe, 2002 Yukon Denali.

-Value: With the exchange rate the way it is in Europe, German cars are extremely expensive right now for comparable value. Cadillac offers several package upgrades, but they don't seem to nickle and dime you to death like Mercedes and BMW with all their options.

-Sound System: 15 speakers is friggin ridiculous!!! I love my music and would enjoy hearing it on a system like this.

-Interior Finish: natural wood and leather seem like they are comparable to Mercedes and BMW. I love the instrumentation's simple lay-out which contrast nicely with the high-tech navigation touch-screen.

-Performance: From what I've read, the STS is right up there with BMW 5 and Mercedes E. Unless you do Autobahn high-speed driving (which I obviously don't living in Southern California), the STS would be a great car on the freeway in Cali.

Con's
    -Past reputation: Growing up, my mom had a Cadillac in the mid-80's that had nothing but problems with electrical, air-conditioning, and transmission. (I believe she had a Seville) I have always heard that one of the weeknesses with Caddy's is their poor electronics. Is this still true? How about cars built in the last five years? Has this improved?

-1st Year Models: I've always stayed away from purchasing a new model in it's first year of production. This is the biggest thing on my mind. It just always seems that they use the first year to iron the kinks out of the car.

-Voice-command complaints: I was surprised to read several negative comments about this feature. In fact, I hardly read anything positive about this on the STS, when other people claim that the system on the CTS and XLR work quite efficiently. If Cadillac does truly have an issue with the system on the STS, would they offer a software upgrade at a later date? How has this worked in the past on other models? Does Cadillac own up to their mistakes and fix them, or will I be stuck with a poor system?

-Service: I know BMW includes free servicing with their cars....does Cadillac offer the same thing?

My heart is set on the STS at this point, but my logic is pulling me elsewhere. The only other serious consideration at this point is the Infiniti Q Luxury sedan. It is comparable in price, options, and performance. I won't even consider any of the German imports right now because I feel they're way over-priced for the product. There's something sentimental inside of me that's been waiting for Cadillac to put out a product that could honestly compete with the Germans. The STS seems like the one.

Please share with me any and all opinions that you may have. I know this was long and kinda wordy, but I appreciate your time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

don_mccarter is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8

Re: Considering buying my first Caddy

Routine maintenance came with my Lincoln.
    When they asked if I was there for my "free oil change"
    I always replied " no, I am here for the prepaided one".
    Free service equals prepaid.

megeebee is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

About your comment on electronics: I've had no trouble with either my old '03 CTS or my new '05 CTS(yet). But I know several people with both BMW and Mercedes who complain constantly about their electronics trouble. I think you'll find that the Germans are much worse in that respect than Cadillac.

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

I have a 2000 STS, and I haven't had any electrical problems with it.

PTC Sclade is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Oakland Raiders: Hi there! I purchased a new STS - Black Raven/Cashmere - in November. So far have had no problems with it. We do not put a lot of miles on it so I only have about 1100. To this point in time everything is good. I agree with most of your pro comments, especially buying American. This is my second Cadillac in two years. Bought an 03 Escalade new in 2003. We really like it as well, I think a lot has to do with the dealer because we had a couple of problems with the Escalade and everything is worked to our satisfaction. Regarding the STS: We bought the 1SF package with the nav, 15 speakers (awesome), and the magnetic ride control. The more I drive it the better it feels. It really needs to loosen up some more yet. It was a very tight ride and the sporty seats also take some getting used to but really very nice. We also believe in buying American - have done so for the past 38 years. Interior is beautiful. Dark color exterior left something to be desired but after two coats of wax it is much improved. I have never driven any of the German cars but have ridden in several including the top of the line Mercedes. My loyalty still goes American. I agree with what you have heard about the voice recognition. Much to be desired. I still love the STS and I do not think you have too much too worry about with a new model since much of it was refined on the SRX. If you want to see my interior check out the post in this forum regarding new mats. Good Luck with your decision. I love my STS. Best regards.

Paul

PTC Sclade is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Oakland Raiders: Hi there! I purchased a new STS - Black Raven/Cashmere - in November. So far have had no problems with it. We do not put a lot of miles on it so I only have about 1100. To this point in time everything is good. I agree with most of your pro comments, especially buying American. This is my second Cadillac in two years. Bought an 03 Escalade new in 2003. We really like it as well, I think a lot has to do with the dealer because we had a couple of problems with the Escalade and everything is worked to our satisfaction. Regarding the STS: We bought the 1SF package with the nav, 15 speakers (awesome), and the magnetic ride control. The more I drive it the better it feels. It really needs to loosen up some more yet. It was a very tight ride and the sporty seats also take some getting used to but really very nice. We also believe in buying American - have done so for the past 38 years. Interior is beautiful. Have had no electrical problems as of yet. Had none with the Escalade either. Maybe some depends on the luck of the draw and who put it toegether. Dark color exterior left something to be desired but after two coats of wax it is much improved. I have never driven any of the German cars but have ridden in several including the top of the line Mercedes. My loyalty still goes American. I agree with what you have heard about the voice recognition. Much to be desired. I still love the STS and I do not think you have too much too worry about with a new model since much of it was refined on the SRX. If you want to see my interior check out the post in this forum regarding new mats. Good Luck with your decision. I love my STS. Best regards.

Paul

DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Oakland Raiders
    Hello everyone!

I have been lurking for over a week, researching all there is to know about the Cadillac STS 2005. I've been on the Cadillac site, read countless "test drive" articles, read people's pro's/con's in this forum, and looked at the STS in person (I haven't driven one yet). So far, I'm impressed, but I still haven't made up my mind yet. I wanted to just list a few of my own pro's and con's from my research and see if any current STS owners or past Cadillac owners might offer their $.02. I'm looking to make my decision by February on a new car.

Pro's:
    -American made: I've always owned American cars. Yes, I'm patriotic and want to support this country, but I also feel that American cars have made a big comeback in the last ten years. Past cars owned....1990 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Pontiac Trans-Am, 1999 Corvette Coupe, 2002 Yukon Denali.

-Value: With the exchange rate the way it is in Europe, German cars are extremely expensive right now for comparable value. Cadillac offers several package upgrades, but they don't seem to nickle and dime you to death like Mercedes and BMW with all their options.

-Sound System: 15 speakers is friggin ridiculous!!! I love my music and would enjoy hearing it on a system like this.

-Interior Finish: natural wood and leather seem like they are comparable to Mercedes and BMW. I love the instrumentation's simple lay-out which contrast nicely with the high-tech navigation touch-screen.

-Performance: From what I've read, the STS is right up there with BMW 5 and Mercedes E. Unless you do Autobahn high-speed driving (which I obviously don't living in Southern California), the STS would be a great car on the freeway in Cali.

Con's
    -Past reputation: Growing up, my mom had a Cadillac in the mid-80's that had nothing but problems with electrical, air-conditioning, and transmission. (I believe she had a Seville) I have always heard that one of the weeknesses with Caddy's is their poor electronics. Is this still true? How about cars built in the last five years? Has this improved?

-1st Year Models: I've always stayed away from purchasing a new model in it's first year of production. This is the biggest thing on my mind. It just always seems that they use the first year to iron the kinks out of the car.

-Voice-command complaints: I was surprised to read several negative comments about this feature. In fact, I hardly read anything positive about this on the STS, when other people claim that the system on the CTS and XLR work quite efficiently. If Cadillac does truly have an issue with the system on the STS, would they offer a software upgrade at a later date? How has this worked in the past on other models? Does Cadillac own up to their mistakes and fix them, or will I be stuck with a poor system?

-Service: I know BMW includes free servicing with their cars....does Cadillac offer the same thing?

My heart is set on the STS at this point, but my logic is pulling me elsewhere. The only other serious consideration at this point is the Infiniti Q Luxury sedan. It is comparable in price, options, and performance. I won't even consider any of the German imports right now because I feel they're way over-priced for the product. There's something sentimental inside of me that's been waiting for Cadillac to put out a product that could honestly compete with the Germans. The STS seems like the one.

Please share with me any and all opinions that you may have. I know this was long and kinda wordy, but I appreciate your time.
    Have had my STS for a month and 2,800 miles. The car is without a doubt , awesome! Pick up Friday's Wall Street Journal, they did what I think is the best review of the STS . It is better then any car out there and I have had no problems with the car.

You should also know I put 27,000 miles on a '04 CTS prior to purchasing the STS. I did not have 1 singel problem with the car. My wife drives an SRX andit has been nothing but reliable.

Buy the Cadillac!!

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Purchase with confidence and enjoy!

http://cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23977

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V

Quote Originally Posted by megeebee
    About your comment on electronics: I've had no trouble with either my old '03 CTS or my new '05 CTS(yet). But I know several people with both BMW and Mercedes who complain constantly about their electronics trouble. I think you'll find that the Germans are much worse in that respect than Cadillac.
    I never had any electronics problems with either of my BMW's, and right now I still own quite possibly the most criticized one in BMWs history, which is the 740. In contrast, my 2001 Cadillac STS had many small electronic glitches that I have practically forgotten half of them. Of note, failing sensors, stability system constantly threw up errors, heated seat failure, etc.

The only problem I can remember in the 740 is one time the Nav system did freeze, but that was it. The overall electrical problems faced by both the Cadillacs and BMWs of the world 15 years ago, have pretty much in general improved with the advent of longer lasting more durable materials and improved error checking technologies. Still, niggling electrical problems can not be completely eliminated.

In fairness, the CTS has proven to be a very trouble free car overall. The STS is too new to make a real determination, but if you spend some time in the SRX forum, youll see there have been a good number of general complaints from SRX owners over the course of its existence, and some of them do relate to electrical problems and fit and finish issues. Thats of some concern because while the STS shares the Sigma architecture with the very good CTS, it has more in common (stretched platform, same engine) with the V8 SRX.

The first year car thing is hit and miss. I owned a 1999 Grand Cherokee Limited at one point. That truck has gone down in history as one of the absolute worst disasters in first year vehicle history EVER, and mine wasnt actually that bad considering the poor publicity.

Overall, I dont think the STS will disappoint you.

Thanks everyone who responded and offerred their opinions. I'm going out of town for a few days on business and when I return, I am going to arrange a test drive.

What should I expect to pay for a 1SF packaged V8 STS? $55,000????

Blue Chip is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Don't worry about past problems. I've had five Cadillacs. They keep getting better. I traded a 2000 Seville STS on the 05 STS. I had no serious problems with the Seville. Also, the service at your local Cadillac dealer is light years ahead of what it was even five years ago. My STS has no first-year problems. Everything works, even though it is probably the most complicated car in the world. I love the technology. Re the voice commands, try them yourself, but just speak normally (not too loud) and don't pause between commands. Every time you pause, even for an instant, the system immediately fills in the next default command. I think people are giving up too easily on the voice recognition. Play with it awhile. There is no free service on Cadillacs, but they require hardly any maintenance. When they do, parts and procedures are generally much less expensive than BMW. Also, you’re paying for that so-called “free” service. Based on service intervals and quality surveys, you're going to need more servicing on just about any other car than a Cadillac. I have two cars: a sports car and a sedan. I want the sedan to be very quiet, very comfortable, full of gadgets and able to carry friends. The other car is just the opposite. The STS fills the bill for me for my sedan. In considering other possibilities (Infiniti, Merc, BMW, Lexus, Jaguar), all of them, except the last, look dowdy and old-fashioned to me. The Jag looks old-fashioned but nice. The Cadillacs seem to me to be the only cars with "with-it" contemporary styling, instead of the same old thing.

That didn't take very long!

I went for my test drive and drove home my new black on black 1SF STS. Gorgeous car and it handles like a dream. I am on my way out of town for business, but can't wait until I get back to drive this car again. Thanks for everyone's input...much appreciated.

Blue Chip is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oakland Raiders
    That didn't take very long!

I went for my test drive and drove home my new black on black 1SF STS. Gorgeous car and it handles like a dream. I am on my way out of town for business, but can't wait until I get back to drive this car again. Thanks for everyone's input...much appreciated.
    Congratulations! I don't mean to sound patronizing, but, if you have any problems, tips or questions, don't hesitate to post. We're here to help each other whenever we can and exchange information. Enjoy - you're driving the best.

jworkmans is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Hey Oakland - Congratulations!

I haven't been a regular viewer of this board for long, but so far I've been impressed with how willing everyone is to be helpful, open minded and genuinely interested in the car. I've had several questions answered (some I didn't even know to ask), vented my spleen a couple of times, and found a lot of really great info about the car & Caddy.

Like Blue Chip said, you're driving the best....ain't it grand!!!!

John

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.