Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Project HUD

36K views 174 replies 18 participants last post by  xtester 
#1 ·
So I saw this on eBay and the price was too good to pass up...

Look at this on eBay:

GM 2006 CADILLAC STS REFURBISHED HUD - 15943543

http://bit.ly/153uLpl

Won it and its being shipped here and once the weather clears so I can drive the Camaro this is another little project to add to the car along with finalizing my brembo upgrade and egx body kit.

I'm hoping I can just cut the dash (it's hollow) buy the HUD defrost nozzle and wire it up with the HUD dash switch and it'll be a go.

Don't want nor need acc so that removes most of the headache however does anyone know if there's any special programming needed to activate this once I hook everything up or once wired up will it just work (highly unlikely).

Any assist guys? Especially looking for insight from the other gurus (this means you ddadler!)

See less See more
#53 ·
OK

with Daddlers help and removing the speedo I can confrim the cavity is there and set up for ALL cars to accept hud and it does not in fact mount to the carrier but an aluminum subframe which mounts to the firewall which is also PRESENT on non hud cars, with the holes for the projector mount but it is missing the threaded inserts to actually bolt it down....

The differences in the dash carrier only appears to be a cut in the upper plastic for a window to project the hud, this I passed on purchasing the carrier to keep costs down and will opt to simply use a cut wheel to cut the window myself

I did note and I believe Daddler mentioned this that the vent tube which runs to the left side vent does in fact appear different, thus Rippy I need to add that vent tube to the parts list, its the large plastic vein which directs the air flow from the air box to the left most side vent. I am assuming you can confrim there is a difference between one with and without UV6.
***Picture courtesy of Daddler!***

Thanks guys for all the help so far!

#54 ·
There may in fact not be a different duct. You will be able to tell if you remove your instrument cluster trim and instrument cluster. This will give you a clear view of where the HUD should mount. Looking at some of my other photos, the HUD doesn't appear to extend past the aluminum frame to where it will interfere with the HVAC duct.

#62 ·
Ludacrisvp said:
Nice! How's the HUD coming?
Too bad we don't have an express open like hold unlock instead of lock.
They do express open I think you mean remotely and yea I suppose that would be nice but ill take what I can get.

HUD is on hold till it clears here for me to bring the SS Camaro out. Need time to do it and can't be down the car so that's on hold.

#65 ·
Yea, since they VR can open all windows, the must be a code that could be sent over the car's network. Likewise, it might be possible to modify a window control module to close the sunroof when the Secure Car feature is activated.

As usual, such project might get very expensive, but 'possible' has no pricetag.

#66 ·
The Express Open is only when using the switch in the console because there is no data bus connection to the sun roof in these cars. Certainly Express Open/Close is within design possibility, but without integral sensors engineered into the system, there is no protection from strangulation or other pinching making this type of modification a really bad idea. There would need to be timing modifications, along with other significant software changes in many different components to adapt a door control module. I'd love to meet someone that has source code though. It would help with a lot of my "dream" projects.

#67 ·
Vr can open / close all windows (no roof) so I agree there must be a network "packet" that sends this command to express down or express up the windows.

Are you sure there is no data up there?
I thought the roof would stop closing if put in park or something if it was during closure. Then again that might have been in the SRX.

#68 ·
Vr can open / close all windows (no roof) so I agree there must be a network "packet" that sends this command to express down or express up the windows.
Absolutely there is for the door windows. It's a case of how to adapt this functionality for the roof that simply isn't realistic from "our" abilities. I should have been more clear in my post that my first sentence was referring to Express Open of the roof, and the switch I reference is in the "roof" console, nothing to do with door glass or controls. I was ambiguous.

#70 ·
So doing a little more reading, it does have an anti-pinch feature so why GM didn't tie this in to the rest of the vehicle systems is beyond me. Hmmm. Definitely nothing about this in schematics or the Owner's manual.

----------

The only connection outside of power, ground and the control switches is to the Rear Integration Module. This provides and 'Enable' signal so the controls are permitted to work.

#73 · (Edited)
The problem is that each type of module (PDM, DDM, DDSA, etc) has a three digit ID assignment. When information is transmitted on the data bus, the data packet contains this ID which is how each module knows whether to act upon/process the packet or ignore it. In this vintage of vehicle (I say this because as development moves forward, GM may change the strategy a little), the ID's are standardized across all GM platforms. In order to make this work, the module would require a unique ID, but also any other module sending data to it would also have to be reprogrammed with the appropriate ID. This would require resources only available to very few people.

#74 ·
A few years back, I posted a call for one of those few people. They do drop in from time to time.

Like most people, they want to be compensated properly for their effort. Possible, yes; practical? It may verge on a labor of love.

DD is right. It may take a knowledge of the source code & network protocols.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.