Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Project HUD

36K views 174 replies 18 participants last post by  xtester 
#1 ·
So I saw this on eBay and the price was too good to pass up...

Look at this on eBay:

GM 2006 CADILLAC STS REFURBISHED HUD - 15943543

http://bit.ly/153uLpl

Won it and its being shipped here and once the weather clears so I can drive the Camaro this is another little project to add to the car along with finalizing my brembo upgrade and egx body kit.

I'm hoping I can just cut the dash (it's hollow) buy the HUD defrost nozzle and wire it up with the HUD dash switch and it'll be a go.

Don't want nor need acc so that removes most of the headache however does anyone know if there's any special programming needed to activate this once I hook everything up or once wired up will it just work (highly unlikely).

Any assist guys? Especially looking for insight from the other gurus (this means you ddadler!)

See less See more
#27 ·
Makes sense except if my rcdlr were to fail they would replace it. It would come as a blank slate no programming. Since an 05 and 06 is the same part they would be flashed with the tech 2 and programmed with whatever options are applicable and then sync it with the vtd so why can't my current 05 rcdlr have the ability for it?

That's down the road though

Will be hard to test the HUD if I need it turned on and a tech 2 to do it unless without the option turn on it still gets some data. Could you test turning off your hud in the rim and see if it has any functionality?

#29 ·
I understand what you're saying about the RCDLR. My guess is there are incompatibilities with software in other modules within the car. GM doesn't use a Tech2 for programming anymore, they use an MDI. With this, there have been changes to how this takes place. Just last week we had a problem with a radio I installed in one of our fleet vehicles a few years back. It had to be replaced and the dealership was unable to program it. They ordered the same part number I had installed. Back then, I was able to use a Tech2 for the programming and I was able to select a calibration of my choice. This allowed me to "trick" the system into letting me program it. Since I don't subscribe to SPS access anymore I can't try many of the things I used to be able to do. Working with the dealer we tried to install the new radio using my past method unsuccessfully. When you use an MDI for programming, it verifies VIN's and part numbers so this is where you'll be stuck.

I will try changing the option setting in the IPM but I won't get to it tonight. Tomorrow is my Friday so I'll try to get to it over the weekend.

#30 · (Edited)
Understand

I appreciate all the help/advice!

Just worried if that could end up being the case here with adding the HUD now....

Already found a good used HUD carrier for 250, was going to pick it up this weekend, replacing that doesnt bother me, I rebuilt an XLR and did a heater core on my old Seville both required removal of the dash carrier.

You can see my STS back when it had the Platnium grille in the last pic

#31 ·
Well it seems you are quite capable for sure. I really can't see why this won't work, but it is a PITA if it doesn't. When the dealer replaced my HUD under warranty, they broke away pieces of my carrier instead of removing the steering column the way they should have. If you take out the column, you may be able to clear the shifter. This is another area they broke to save a little work.

BTW, there is a problem with the link in your last photo. It isn't displaying properly.

#32 ·
retried it!

i agree i would rather not waste my time or money if this proves to be fruitless but I think it will work (in theory on paper it looks legit!)

----------

Lets hope the RCDLR pans out...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120839227693?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

07 module should have everything SET, we shall try this....

i think i take on too many projects at once... this is why my Camaro never gets done...

#34 ·
Worst case for that one Ill need to reprogram my keys back to my OE RCDLR and I wasted $25 bucks if it doesn't work, or if it does Ill need to have the dealer clear it with the VTD...

The HUD is what I really want though hahaha

Ill wait till I head the status on the RIM once you shut off the HUD to decide if I wait to pick this HUD carrier up (pointless to waste money)

I may have them turn on the HUD in the RIM program the brake pedal and clear the VTD for the new RCDLR all at once, maybe Ill get away with just an hours diagnostic hahaha

#35 ·
If you have a look at the Hollander information on that eBay listing, it says "STS 07-08 Theft/Locking; w/o keyless entry". Hopefully this doesn't create a problem. I'm not aware of an STS without keyless entry, but for an 07-08 part, it does have a different part number on the case than mine.

#36 ·
All of them say that if you dig into it. No idea why. Maybe because our cars technically don't have keyless entry. It's called passive proximity or something special since you only need the fob on your person and not to actually press the unlock for access. I forget the exact name for it.

#37 ·
with regards to MDI/SPS programming vs the TechII if you want to flash a module or option that a vehicle doesn't have you have to call GM TechLine and get them to add that option to the VIN so when you program it with the MDI using the VIN the option is there

we ran into this recently turning on cruise control for a chevy cruze
(oh the irony of a cruze that didnt' have cruise)

the customer didn't explain themselves clearly to us and the tech and I worked for about a half hour trying to figure out why the customer would say that cruise wasn't working when the car clearly didn't come with the cruise control option

when we went back to the customer they explained better that they wanted us to turn cruise on... that was news to me
so my tech called techline and they said that this is the new normal - lots of simple options will no longer require new parts but just new software
so techline added the option and my tech reflashed with the MDI and all was good

#40 ·
@1BadCadSTS - what is on your bumper on the STS in the last pic with the XLR (next to passenger headlight)?

Also, as you apparently have intimate relations with the XLR are there any parts for the XLR that could or should or that someone might want to be used on the STS?
Not really sure of all its features.

#41 ·
Ludacrisvp said:
@1BadCadSTS - what is on your bumper on the STS in the last pic with the XLR (next to passenger headlight)?

Also, as you apparently have intimate relations with the XLR are there any parts for the XLR that could or should or that someone might want to be used on the STS?
Not really sure of all its features.
It threw a headlamp washer cover. Had to order and have painted. I promptly deactivated the system right after. Great system, lets spray water all over the front of the car while its crappy out... Got tired of my car looking all streaked in the front, but it was amusing to hit my GF with the washers while picking her up all the time....

XLR...share.... the shift knob, ecm, tcm and the throttle body... seriously thats about it... Engine accessories are routed all different so the engine cover isnt even the same. HUDS different, only green but it has a really cool boot up, vette suspension, sway bars, brakes, wheel bolt pattern, trans tube... The block and heads MAY be the same but I never dug that much into it to check.

#42 ·
we can't program it like that
it has to be in the car to be programmed

there probably is some way to bench program but dealers don't have access to the equipment, tools or knowledge info

another consideration is if GM TechLine will alter the option for you or not

some option adding (like the cruise control i mentioned earlier) maybe sanctioned and some may not be sanctioned

the only way to know is to try i guess

#45 ·
Well HUD came today I found something which made me VERY happy.

The XLR-V front clip I bought to section on to the XLR I rebuilt for my boss included most of the wiring. As luck would have it I cut and kept every single left over plug of that front clip just in case because you never know when you might need a GM plug for something. Well with those plug was the XLRs HUD plug which is a DIRECT plug in for the STS HUD. 1 pin needs relocated and I need one extra wire but I have the major (and way overpriced!) HUD plug!

Once I hear back from Daddler about the RIM HUD on/off programming is how I will proceed next. Hoping to know tomorrow (if not I fully understand), so I can plan on the 2 hour road trip to Ohio to get the dash carrier assembly with HUD provisions.

From there Ill hit up Rippy for the dash nozzle, info control switch and plug and with 1 solid days work I'm assuming Ill be set!

So far total cost in this project is only $25 bucks!

#49 ·
Interestingly, after changing the settings in the IPM/RIM, there was no change in the operation of the HUD. I can tell you that the car will set a DTC for an incorrect number of modules detected on the data bus if options are not set correctly. I'm not certain exactly what other functions the configuration information controls, in light of this new information.

As for the RCDLR, there is an option to Enable/Disable the Secure Car feature using the Tech2. This option was only found in the 2006+ STS menu choices however.

#50 ·
That's something I wanted to hear! So I should be able to test wire it up and see if it works. Now l find a location to easily access all the wires needed to splice into the HUD plug.

Wonder why my dealer told me when going in the tech 2 under an 06 they could not turn the feature on...?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.