Project HUD - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Project HUD in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Yes, everything as you see it is intact with the exception of the defrost trim panel that snaps into place ...
    ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Re: Project HUD

Yes, everything as you see it is intact with the exception of the defrost trim panel that snaps into place on the top of the carrier. There isn't a metal plate in there. Which picture are you referring to? The white insulation comes up through the cutout but actually covers the left hand side of the plastic HUD housing. If that insulation wasn't there, all you'd see is the remainder of the HUD assembly visible through the cutout.

NoKSuCoW is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 STS

Does this have anything to do with a rear camera? C360_2013-05-10-15-21-27-861.jpg

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    These cars NEVER had a back up camera. No way to add one to a factory system. Period.

NoKSuCoW is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 STS

So what your really trying to say is?? Just kidding...lol

Okay so the only way is a new screen + camera or cts cam + mirror and lose intellibeam?

Quote Originally Posted by NoKSuCoW
    So what your really trying to say is?? Just kidding...lol

Okay so the only way is a new screen + camera or cts cam + mirror and lose intellibeam?
    Correct

The export SLS has a camera you can use or aliexpress sells SLS add on cameras which will work but you'll need a display.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

Here are some close ups I took of the window, not sure if they will be useful or not but I figured they couldn't hurt.

All are very large resolution so you may want to open them in a new tab to get full size.

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Quote Originally Posted by NoKSuCoW View Post
    Does this have anything to do with a rear camera? Attachment 112081
    This is a diagnostic connector for the Ultrasonic Rear Park Assist system.

Maximln is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 STS V8, 1SF, Tusc Lthr, Adptv Cruise, 18" Chrm Whls

Hope your HUD project is working good! I love to see how people can adapt different accessories to their car. My first Cadillac was a 75 Sedan de Ville d' Elegance that is still probably my favorite Cadillac. It came with the Twilight Sentinel option but not the Auto High Beam dimming option. I got all the parts for the Auto Dimming option at a wrecking yard & installed them into my car & it worked perfectly! Something so fulfilling about it!

If you do get your HUD to work, you will most likely have to replace your windshield. I had to replace the windshield on my car a few years ago & I told the insurance co. they had to replace it with a factory windshield because of Rainsense & the HUD. Sure enough, they did not listen to me & when I got my car back, Rainsense did not work properly & my HUD reflection was blurry as heck! They allowed me to order my own windshield from GM & there were 2 available. One with HUD & one without HUD. I'm guessing the one with HUD is "more polished" in the area where the HUD is reflected. Hopefully yours will be different!

Max

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

I think it's actually got polarization to improve the HUD.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    AFAIK, any type of projection on glass requires a polarized area.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

As noted early in the thread and in the many HUD upgrades on various places on the web, most automotive glass will work but better results involve additional measures; the best results can get expensive. Nothing new there.

So just a little update

Found a donor car at local yard and have started to assemble everything. 1st up my conversion harness.

I was happy to find the HUD only uses 7 wires. 4 come from the info control switch the other 3 are ground and gm LAN low speed which both come from SP201 and last is a 12v power source which is supposed to come from the front fuse box but I will be tapping into the rear to avoid running wire in the engine bay.

As the picture shows I already have the proper info switch plug (not the same as non hud cars) and the HUD projector plug wired together.

Next step will be getting some terminal leads to connect into the factory SP201 on the passenger side left part of the dash and then to the fuse box so in theory there should be no cutting or splicing into the factory wiring.

The most difficult part will obviously be removing the dash carrier, cutting it out for the HUD display and hoping everything works and displays properly through the HUD without any needed programming to the other modules.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    I would think you would have to enable the HUD via a tech 2 otherwise I would bet the car isn't going to broadcast the info it is going to pick up from the LAN bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp
    I would think you would have to enable the HUD via a tech 2 otherwise I would bet the car isn't going to broadcast the info it is going to pick up from the LAN bus.
    I thought the same thing. However daddler shut off the RPO in his system and it still provided full data to the HUD.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by ddalder
    Interestingly, after changing the settings in the IPM/RIM, there was no change in the operation of the HUD. I can tell you that the car will set a DTC for an incorrect number of modules detected on the data bus if options are not set correctly. I'm not certain exactly what other functions the configuration information controls, in light of this new information.
    See above

Daddler does shutting off DRL in the IPM turn off the amber turn signals during the day?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.