Project HUD - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Project HUD in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Nice! How's the HUD coming? Too bad we don't have an express open like hold unlock instead of lock....
    Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    Nice! How's the HUD coming?
    Too bad we don't have an express open like hold unlock instead of lock.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp
    Nice! How's the HUD coming?
    Too bad we don't have an express open like hold unlock instead of lock.
    They do express open I think you mean remotely and yea I suppose that would be nice but ill take what I can get.

HUD is on hold till it clears here for me to bring the SS Camaro out. Need time to do it and can't be down the car so that's on hold.

Yeah. Girlfriends Jetta has the auto down and up _and_ closes the moonroof as well. It's handy.

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Re: Project HUD

It's certainly positive news that it is is working for you. Good job!

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Yea, since they VR can open all windows, the must be a code that could be sent over the car's network. Likewise, it might be possible to modify a window control module to close the sunroof when the Secure Car feature is activated.

As usual, such project might get very expensive, but 'possible' has no pricetag.

The Express Open is only when using the switch in the console because there is no data bus connection to the sun roof in these cars. Certainly Express Open/Close is within design possibility, but without integral sensors engineered into the system, there is no protection from strangulation or other pinching making this type of modification a really bad idea. There would need to be timing modifications, along with other significant software changes in many different components to adapt a door control module. I'd love to meet someone that has source code though. It would help with a lot of my "dream" projects.

Vr can open / close all windows (no roof) so I agree there must be a network "packet" that sends this command to express down or express up the windows.

Are you sure there is no data up there?
    I thought the roof would stop closing if put in park or something if it was during closure. Then again that might have been in the SRX.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp View Post
    Vr can open / close all windows (no roof) so I agree there must be a network "packet" that sends this command to express down or express up the windows.
    Absolutely there is for the door windows. It's a case of how to adapt this functionality for the roof that simply isn't realistic from "our" abilities. I should have been more clear in my post that my first sentence was referring to Express Open of the roof, and the switch I reference is in the "roof" console, nothing to do with door glass or controls. I was ambiguous.

I don't have my car (again) to test it out.

So doing a little more reading, it does have an anti-pinch feature so why GM didn't tie this in to the rest of the vehicle systems is beyond me. Hmmm. Definitely nothing about this in schematics or the Owner's manual.

----------

The only connection outside of power, ground and the control switches is to the Rear Integration Module. This provides and 'Enable' signal so the controls are permitted to work.

I wonder if the RIM could be commanded to open or close the roof. Not sure how you would do it though.

Maybe add an extra PDM to control the roof as if it were a window? No idea how you might go about doing that though.

The problem is that each type of module (PDM, DDM, DDSA, etc) has a three digit ID assignment. When information is transmitted on the data bus, the data packet contains this ID which is how each module knows whether to act upon/process the packet or ignore it. In this vintage of vehicle (I say this because as development moves forward, GM may change the strategy a little), the ID's are standardized across all GM platforms. In order to make this work, the module would require a unique ID, but also any other module sending data to it would also have to be reprogrammed with the appropriate ID. This would require resources only available to very few people.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

A few years back, I posted a call for one of those few people. They do drop in from time to time.

Like most people, they want to be compensated properly for their effort. Possible, yes; practical? It may verge on a labor of love.

DD is right. It may take a knowledge of the source code & network protocols.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Daddler

Doubt it but do you happen to have a picture with the defrost vent nozzle (upper plastic dashboard) removed?

Trying to determine if I can cut mine and if so what and how big the cut is.

Thanks!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.