Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Project HUD

36K views 174 replies 18 participants last post by  xtester 
#1 ·
So I saw this on eBay and the price was too good to pass up...

Look at this on eBay:

GM 2006 CADILLAC STS REFURBISHED HUD - 15943543

http://bit.ly/153uLpl

Won it and its being shipped here and once the weather clears so I can drive the Camaro this is another little project to add to the car along with finalizing my brembo upgrade and egx body kit.

I'm hoping I can just cut the dash (it's hollow) buy the HUD defrost nozzle and wire it up with the HUD dash switch and it'll be a go.

Don't want nor need acc so that removes most of the headache however does anyone know if there's any special programming needed to activate this once I hook everything up or once wired up will it just work (highly unlikely).

Any assist guys? Especially looking for insight from the other gurus (this means you ddadler!)

See less See more
#79 ·
You are the man!

I don't mind waiting its finally nice enough out I can start driving the Camaro and put the STS down to do this.

Thanks!

----------

You are the man!

I don't mind waiting its finally nice enough out I can start driving the Camaro and put the STS down to do this.

Thanks!

#82 ·
I know I will have to have it activated. I spoke with the dealer and my year uses the same HUD for 2009-2011. Part number is #25823413. They said they are not sure it would work I might need a different nav unit, but I don't believe that for one second. So I'm really wondering if the wires are all there or what I'm going to need keep in mind my year is different...does anyone have the the info on a 2011? Thanks a lot.

#87 ·
I took some pictures. Hard to get really good ones because of the reflection from the windshield. I put a tape measure on the dash so you will have an idea of size and reference to some of the other structures. If I have a chance to post them tonight I will (have some things I must get done before work in the AM), otherwise, tomorrow evening.

#90 ·
Thank you so much!

It really looks like there's just a window cut out through the carrier. There isn't any sideing to cover the gap between the carrier and HUD window I presume the defrost nozzle provides that?

Is that metal plate between the HUD cut out and the white insulation?

#91 ·
Yes, everything as you see it is intact with the exception of the defrost trim panel that snaps into place on the top of the carrier. There isn't a metal plate in there. Which picture are you referring to? The white insulation comes up through the cutout but actually covers the left hand side of the plastic HUD housing. If that insulation wasn't there, all you'd see is the remainder of the HUD assembly visible through the cutout.

#98 ·
Hope your HUD project is working good! I love to see how people can adapt different accessories to their car. My first Cadillac was a 75 Sedan de Ville d' Elegance that is still probably my favorite Cadillac. It came with the Twilight Sentinel option but not the Auto High Beam dimming option. I got all the parts for the Auto Dimming option at a wrecking yard & installed them into my car & it worked perfectly! Something so fulfilling about it!

If you do get your HUD to work, you will most likely have to replace your windshield. I had to replace the windshield on my car a few years ago & I told the insurance co. they had to replace it with a factory windshield because of Rainsense & the HUD. Sure enough, they did not listen to me & when I got my car back, Rainsense did not work properly & my HUD reflection was blurry as heck! They allowed me to order my own windshield from GM & there were 2 available. One with HUD & one without HUD. I'm guessing the one with HUD is "more polished" in the area where the HUD is reflected. Hopefully yours will be different!

Max

#102 ·
So just a little update

Found a donor car at local yard and have started to assemble everything. 1st up my conversion harness.

I was happy to find the HUD only uses 7 wires. 4 come from the info control switch the other 3 are ground and gm LAN low speed which both come from SP201 and last is a 12v power source which is supposed to come from the front fuse box but I will be tapping into the rear to avoid running wire in the engine bay.

As the picture shows I already have the proper info switch plug (not the same as non hud cars) and the HUD projector plug wired together.

Next step will be getting some terminal leads to connect into the factory SP201 on the passenger side left part of the dash and then to the fuse box so in theory there should be no cutting or splicing into the factory wiring.

The most difficult part will obviously be removing the dash carrier, cutting it out for the HUD display and hoping everything works and displays properly through the HUD without any needed programming to the other modules.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.