Project HUD - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Project HUD in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Well it seems you are quite capable for sure. I really can't see why this won't work, but it is ...
    ddalder is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Re: Project HUD

Well it seems you are quite capable for sure. I really can't see why this won't work, but it is a PITA if it doesn't. When the dealer replaced my HUD under warranty, they broke away pieces of my carrier instead of removing the steering column the way they should have. If you take out the column, you may be able to clear the shifter. This is another area they broke to save a little work.

BTW, there is a problem with the link in your last photo. It isn't displaying properly.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4

retried it!

i agree i would rather not waste my time or money if this proves to be fruitless but I think it will work (in theory on paper it looks legit!)

----------

Lets hope the RCDLR pans out...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120839227693...84.m1439.l2649

07 module should have everything SET, we shall try this....

i think i take on too many projects at once... this is why my Camaro never gets done...

Give it a shot. Hopefully it will work for you.

Worst case for that one Ill need to reprogram my keys back to my OE RCDLR and I wasted $25 bucks if it doesn't work, or if it does Ill need to have the dealer clear it with the VTD...

The HUD is what I really want though hahaha

Ill wait till I head the status on the RIM once you shut off the HUD to decide if I wait to pick this HUD carrier up (pointless to waste money)

I may have them turn on the HUD in the RIM program the brake pedal and clear the VTD for the new RCDLR all at once, maybe Ill get away with just an hours diagnostic hahaha

If you have a look at the Hollander information on that eBay listing, it says "STS 07-08 Theft/Locking; w/o keyless entry". Hopefully this doesn't create a problem. I'm not aware of an STS without keyless entry, but for an 07-08 part, it does have a different part number on the case than mine.

All of them say that if you dig into it. No idea why. Maybe because our cars technically don't have keyless entry. It's called passive proximity or something special since you only need the fob on your person and not to actually press the unlock for access. I forget the exact name for it.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

with regards to MDI/SPS programming vs the TechII if you want to flash a module or option that a vehicle doesn't have you have to call GM TechLine and get them to add that option to the VIN so when you program it with the MDI using the VIN the option is there

we ran into this recently turning on cruise control for a chevy cruze
    (oh the irony of a cruze that didnt' have cruise)

the customer didn't explain themselves clearly to us and the tech and I worked for about a half hour trying to figure out why the customer would say that cruise wasn't working when the car clearly didn't come with the cruise control option

when we went back to the customer they explained better that they wanted us to turn cruise on... that was news to me
    so my tech called techline and they said that this is the new normal - lots of simple options will no longer require new parts but just new software
    so techline added the option and my tech reflashed with the MDI and all was good
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

That sounds frustrating.

So can I mail you this rcdlr rippy and have you turn on the secure car feature?

Also ever find out if the headlamp switch has a pigtail?

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

@1BadCadSTS - what is on your bumper on the STS in the last pic with the XLR (next to passenger headlight)?

Also, as you apparently have intimate relations with the XLR are there any parts for the XLR that could or should or that someone might want to be used on the STS?
    Not really sure of all its features.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp
    @1BadCadSTS - what is on your bumper on the STS in the last pic with the XLR (next to passenger headlight)?

Also, as you apparently have intimate relations with the XLR are there any parts for the XLR that could or should or that someone might want to be used on the STS?
    Not really sure of all its features.
    It threw a headlamp washer cover. Had to order and have painted. I promptly deactivated the system right after. Great system, lets spray water all over the front of the car while its crappy out... Got tired of my car looking all streaked in the front, but it was amusing to hit my GF with the washers while picking her up all the time....

XLR...share.... the shift knob, ecm, tcm and the throttle body... seriously thats about it... Engine accessories are routed all different so the engine cover isnt even the same. HUDS different, only green but it has a really cool boot up, vette suspension, sway bars, brakes, wheel bolt pattern, trans tube... The block and heads MAY be the same but I never dug that much into it to check.

we can't program it like that
    it has to be in the car to be programmed

there probably is some way to bench program but dealers don't have access to the equipment, tools or knowledge info

another consideration is if GM TechLine will alter the option for you or not

some option adding (like the cruise control i mentioned earlier) maybe sanctioned and some may not be sanctioned

the only way to know is to try i guess
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Gotcha. Thanks. How about the headlamp harness. Pigtail or no?

that was the driver's info switch connector (88988295) not the headlamp switch

it was not a pigtail ... the parts catalog says "without leads"

Well HUD came today I found something which made me VERY happy.

The XLR-V front clip I bought to section on to the XLR I rebuilt for my boss included most of the wiring. As luck would have it I cut and kept every single left over plug of that front clip just in case because you never know when you might need a GM plug for something. Well with those plug was the XLRs HUD plug which is a DIRECT plug in for the STS HUD. 1 pin needs relocated and I need one extra wire but I have the major (and way overpriced!) HUD plug!

Once I hear back from Daddler about the RIM HUD on/off programming is how I will proceed next. Hoping to know tomorrow (if not I fully understand), so I can plan on the 2 hour road trip to Ohio to get the dash carrier assembly with HUD provisions.

From there Ill hit up Rippy for the dash nozzle, info control switch and plug and with 1 solid days work I'm assuming Ill be set!

So far total cost in this project is only $25 bucks!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.