Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Project HUD

36K views 174 replies 18 participants last post by  xtester 
#1 ·
So I saw this on eBay and the price was too good to pass up...

Look at this on eBay:

GM 2006 CADILLAC STS REFURBISHED HUD - 15943543

http://bit.ly/153uLpl

Won it and its being shipped here and once the weather clears so I can drive the Camaro this is another little project to add to the car along with finalizing my brembo upgrade and egx body kit.

I'm hoping I can just cut the dash (it's hollow) buy the HUD defrost nozzle and wire it up with the HUD dash switch and it'll be a go.

Don't want nor need acc so that removes most of the headache however does anyone know if there's any special programming needed to activate this once I hook everything up or once wired up will it just work (highly unlikely).

Any assist guys? Especially looking for insight from the other gurus (this means you ddadler!)

See less See more
#4 ·
the info control switch ... that's to the left of the cluster next to the driver's side a/c vent outlet?
if so, that's
$59.44 - list price
$42.35 - your price

and the connector
$34.00 - list price
$21.25 - your price

the HUD connector
$244.74 - list price
$152.96 - your price

the dash pad comes in two colors (ebony/black and cocoa/brown)
your vin might help in getting the correct color but it's possible you have an interior that the HUD option was not available with
(it was only available with RPOs 4AL, 4BF, & 4BC)
either way the price is very similar
list price ~$123
forum price ~$88

all parts still available from GM

#11 ·
Thanks so much!

Checked the ipm and rim replacement info and it says you must turn on acc and HUD individually so I'm assuming ill be ok with just hud. The wiring doesn't scare me, just the programming.

Too bad your in Canada. I'd come to you and throw a couple bucks at you over the dealer just to power it on!

----------

EChas3 said:
Set your expectations appropriately. HUD cars have a special polarized windshield. A standard windshield might not perform quite as well.

Illogically, that polarization is in the same axis as most sunglasses. Voila! Disappearing HUD!
Vette boys have been doing it for years. Most say the difference is minimal. If it becomes an issue ill lay a small 25% tint square in the reflection area for the HUD

#14 ·
Yeah. The entire car is tinted. 35% over OEM 70% tint on side and rear windows. 20% over the OEM moonroof tint. 50% over OEM 70% tint on windshield.

I have a medical exemption prescription from the tint laws in MN due to migraine headaches. Before tinted windshield I had roughly 2 a week now it's about 1 per month with the tint. Traded in the DTS with the same tint setup dealer didn't notice or didn't care and sold it as it was. My monte has 35% on all glass but its hardly driven and is typically only out summer daytime.

#15 ·
After poking around in the IPM/RIM setup configuration, it would appear that you can turn on only the HUD without having to activate ACC. The following screen shots are configurable options for the 2008 model year. I haven't looked into any other year. One point to note, anytime I've ever changed the configuration in the IPM, I've had to perform a Brake Pedal Position calibration. Since the RIM retains a backup copy of the configuration, it is automatically updated when anything in the IPM configuration is changed.

#19 ·
Ludacrisvp said:
Foglamps not US/Can ... what does that do?

See anything about getting the V cluster features or did you not think to look? or are those all the options related to the IPM?
Probably has fog lamps remain in whatever state you left them in? Ie had them on shut off car restart they are on again without toggling? Or means export rear fogs.

#21 ·
Daddler

Once turned on in the RIM/IPM will the Nav directions display on the HUD? Or is there some programming needed in the Nav module (radio) to enable that?

Also for my own amusement dealer said it couldnt be done but can you go under the tech2 manually as an 05 build and see if you can turn on the secure car feature?

PIC3165A: Windows Will Not Express Up Using the Secure Car Feature - keywords button car control function inaccurate information inoperative lock RKE security - (Feb 16, 2006)
Subject: Windows Will Not Express Up Using the Secure Car Feature

Models: 2005-2006 Cadillac STS

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
The 2005 Cadillac STS owner's manual pages 2-5 and 2-19 incorrectly state that the vehicle is equipped with a "secure car feature" that would allow the customer to express up the vehicles windows by pressing and holding the lock button on the keyless entry transmitter. This feature is not available for 2005 model year.
For 2006 model year vehicles the feature is available, however, some vehicles were built with the feature disabled. To enable the Secure Car feature on 2006 model year vehicles, perform the following:
****•* DIAGNOSTICS
****•* PASSENGER CAR
****•* CADILLAC
****•* D
****•* STS
****•* BODY & ACCESSORIES
****•* KEYLESS ENTRY
****•* MODULE SETUP
****•* RCDLR
****•* SETUP NEW RCDLR

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a ""do-it-yourselfer"".* They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle.* Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely.* If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition.* See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information. WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2013 General Motors Corporation.* All rights reserved.

#24 ·
The 'secure car feature' has been discussed many times on the forum. The conclusion has always ended that only the very latest build 2005's could enjoy this nice feature.

On the original topic, it does make sense that HUD can be enabled without ACC. HUD was available on its own in many later-model STS but only V8's had ACC.

#26 ·
Sorry I couldn't respond sooner, but work was getting in the way :)

I believe when turned on, the HUD will display navigation information without further programming of the radio. Of course to try will determine this for sure. It makes sense though base on my past experiences. Personally, I would connect the HUD in a test configuration before taking your dash apart. From a person who's had his dash out twice, it is a fair amount of work if it turns out this is not going to work.

In regards to the configuration change, it has been my experience that changing an option setting in the IPM is automatically mirrored in the RIM and requires no direct interaction with the RIM. The BPP calibration is a separate procedure, also completed through the IPM menu options.

I suspect the 'V' series cluster will have different firmware as it is a different part number and is for a different application. It would make sense that information broadcast to it will be based upon the engine option selected through the IPM configuration.

I believe the Fog Lights not US/Can is for the rear fog lights. Even though I have enabled this, my car does not retain the last state selected during the previous ignition cycle.

As far as the "Secure Car" feature, while the module part number may be the same, the software loaded into the module when installed or replaced is different. This is not as simple as changing a setting with the Tech2. I had looked for a past member a long time back. This requires the use of GM's SPS (Service Programming System). You may be able to get a module from an '06 with a newer calibration already loaded to work, however the RCDLR is an integral part of several other systems in the vehicle and you may inherit a whole new set of problems. This component plays a key role in lock/unlock status, remote start, TPMS, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.