The Never-ending Check Engine Light
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, The Never-ending Check Engine Light in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Just after Christmas I bought a 2006 V8 (1SF) STS from a small town GM (not Cadillac) dealer about 90 ...
    dnett is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS, N*, 1SF

The Never-ending Check Engine Light

Just after Christmas I bought a 2006 V8 (1SF) STS from a small town GM (not Cadillac) dealer about 90 miles from me. It only had 36K miles and is immaculate inside and out. When I test drove it, the CEL was on. Code is P2097 - Running rich post cat. The dealer changed the post cat O2 sensor and I bought the car the next day. When I got home, the CEL was on again. took it back and they reset the computer trims (I think). 3 weeks later, the CEL is on again - same code. Took it back and they replaced the pre cat O2 sensor. 1 week later, CEL on again. I then took it to a local Cadillac dealer. they talked to a GM engineer and did a static discharge on the electrical system. 2 days later. CEL on again. Back to the Cadillac dealer and they found the bolts on the air intake extremely loose and tightened them and cleaned the gummed up looking throttle body. 1 day later, CEL on again. So I'm going back to the dealer I bought it from - they won't pay someone else any more.

Sorry to be so long winded...

Anybody out there got any ideas??

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4
    Man, that's annoying. From what I've read from others on here, I'm surprised one of those things they tried hasn't fixed it, except for the alleged static discharge

Keep us posted.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Sounds like me and my cam sensors lol

Re: The Never-ending Check Engine Light

Here's the latest update.

Caddy dealer has had the car for almost 2 weeks. I'm picking it back up today. They have been on the phone with GM engineers trying to diagnose problem. They seem convinced that the problem is a vacuum leak somewhere or a small leak somewhere within the exhaust line. Tightened a loose clamp on a vacuum line on the brake booster. Supposedly pumped smoke thru as much of the vacuum lines as they could, but found nothing else. They kept it this long so that they could drive it some every day to see if the CEL came back on.

Once again, I'm not too optimistic that this will fix the problem, but what else can I do....

Black tape? Just kidding. I hope they got it fixed for you.

Well, didn't even make it home before the light came back on again. The saga continues....

Batarang23 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8

Frustrating...I hope they get it sorted for you quickly.

The dealer didn't notice that after 2 weeks? I would try a different one.

Quote Originally Posted by dnett View Post
    Well, didn't even make it home before the light came back on again. The saga continues....

jdelp is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '05 Sport Red Tintcoat STS-4 1SG N*

I was having a CEL issue on my '05 also. I tightened the intake bolts - no luck, took it Cadillac dealer and had both cats replaced under manufacturer 200K warranty (don't recall details & which models/years it covers but you can find it on here) - again, no luck. Finally I found a thread on here about cleaning the MAF - so I bought some MAF cleaner at parts store, cleaned it & throttle body and have had no CEL for two + weeks now. Not sure if this would help, but for $7.99 can of MAF cleaner I'd give it a try.

Good Luck!

About 2 visits ago, they cleaned the throttle body - not sure if they did the MAF at the same time. If I had owned the car since new I would be tempted to just say the hell with it and drive it with the light on. But, since I just bought it and the problem was there when I bought it, I damned well want it fixed.

I told the general mgr from where I bought it from that I wanted my money back and he could have the car - he pretty much just laughed in my face. Not sure what I can do, but I'm looking into it.

malatu is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 3.6 AWD

In Delaware, you can't pass an inspection with an Check Engine Light on.

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

Same code (or different); inquiring minds (okay, maybe just me), want to know.

It's been the same code every time - P2097 Rich Trim Post Cat. Where I live in Va, you can pass state inspection with the CEL on. There are some parts of Va where that is not true, though.

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

Wouldn't think it a vacuum leak, would want to run lean; your problem is rich. I'm not a tech (so my info is just thinking out loud). Goggle search yielded this: P2097

Post catalyst fuel trim system too rich bank. Probable cause 1. Rich Air/Fuel ratio - Leaking injectors, regulator, high fuel pressure. 2. Incomplete combustion - Ignition or mechanical condition. 3. Failed H02S (Heated oxygen sensor)

The latest update.

Took it back to the Caddy dealer 2 weeks ago. It had thrown some new codes: P0171 - lean fuel mixture and P0430 - bad catalytic converter as well as the P2097 code. They replaced the cat which was still under 8-80 warranty and replaced the gaskets on the intake manifold. Got it back after a week and on the second start, CEL on again. Had the codes read myself, P0171 and P2097. Took it right back and they decided to replace the ECM - also still under 8-80 warranty. Got it back last night and made it home, with a fill-up stop, and no light came on.

We'll see...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.