Shock replacement. OEM vs Aftermarket?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Shock replacement. OEM vs Aftermarket? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My rear shocks are shot so i need to get new ones. I found a hole in one of the ...
    shortfur7 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8

Shock replacement. OEM vs Aftermarket?

My rear shocks are shot so i need to get new ones. I found a hole in one of the shocks which in turn now my compressor is shot and when putting air through the lines i found some holes in the lines also. So my question being is to replace all 3 components its going to be over $2000. That being said its hard to justify that when resale value of the car in perfect condition in my area is only $6000.

So in turn im looking at getting one of the following for replacement and wondered if any of you have experience with them.

http://www.suncoreindustries.com/cad...ersion-kit.php

Thanks in advance

----------

I guess not quite $2000 GMpartsdirect has the following prices for me.
    Left- $490
    Right- $460
    Comp- $365
    Tubing- $70

So still $1385 vs $600 or $700 for the aftermarket ones.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

stevenriz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 V8 1SG

Re: Shock replacement. OEM vs Aftermarket?

What ever happened with you here? I am in the same predicament Need shocks, leaking all over the place... Can't justify the 1000s to fix...

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

It's now a $6000 car but you have to buy parts for a $60,000 car. The cheap turns out to be expensive.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 121k

I was unaware that there are aftermarket shocks for MRC equipped cars available. If so, how would you fool the system into thinking the system is still intact? I know with the older F45 CVRSS system you just had to install a resistor to complete the circuit.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

The kits listed above have instructions on disabling the air system from what I can tell..

Quote Originally Posted by stevenriz View Post
    The kits listed above have instructions on disabling the air system from what I can tell..
    I'm not referring to self leveling, which is where the air compressor comes into play. I am referring to the active electronic suspension, I see it says there's instructions on disabling it, just wondering how it does it.
    Past Cadillac's

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

I cannot imagine that it is going to properly disable a F55 equipped car's suspension system.

"This kit will convert the Front [or rear] of your STS from Active Electronic Gas Shocks to Passive Gas Shocks."

The MRC shocks aren't what I would call to be "Gas" Shocks.... the label on the shock itself (at least for the bad rear one i have laying in the garage) says that it contains Oil and Gas under pressure.
    Part of me would believe that the 'gas' part would be the warning for the air-ride portion of the shock and the oil part is the active MRC portion.

Get OEM from Rippy and do it right. You could likely have a new pair of rears installed for $900 and they would be OEM new with warranty and give you the ride you should have.
    If the compressor is shot well that is another story, not sure how you have confirmed this is bad and at $400 plus labor I would want to confirm it.
    The fronts would run a bit more, probably $1000 for the pair and then the labor to install those and do an alignment. (rear only does not need alignment done).

So call it $1800 for 4 new MRC shocks from GM w/ warranty intact, plus a couple hundred to install and align.

Those aftermarket ones are $1200 for all 4 plus an unknown amount for shipping.
    I added them to the cart to see if they would show shipping costs and they were suddenly no longer STS shocks, they are SRX shocks.
    So they were made with the SRX in mind that was very rare to have the MRC setup on it.
    Additionally you would then be highly likely to have your speed limited to 80MPH (as my testing has shown you get if you have certain parts of your suspension disconnected) and believe me it really does limit it to 80.

Thanks, great info... Are these difficult for an amateur to install? What is the procedure? Jack it up enough to drop the wheels just enough to take pressure off the shock itself and then R&R... ? Does anyone know torque specifications? I will ask a friend that works at the local Ford dealer and hope he is able to assist...

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    I can bypass magride. Done 1 DTS and 2 lades.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post
    I can bypass magride. Done 1 DTS and 2 lades.
    Enlighten us please.
    Past Cadillac's

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Resistor trick just like with old cvrss. Need wire wound resistors though 2 1ohm resistors per strut. Made a post about it before. While I enjoy magride and would never defeat it on my own personal car others don't like to pay to play.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

There are aftermarket substitutes for MRC shocks that are all some extended warranty companies will cover. I read about them here from a member. I'm tempted but will probably buy from Chris at Rippy's if and when.

This debate about repair cost exceeding the value of ones car is looking at the wrong number. I think replacement cost is far more important than some speculation about market value IF in good condition. What do you care? No one is going to offer you that for a car that needs an expensive repair, anyway. If it isn't repaired, nobody will buy it. A dealer might take it in trade, but only by inflating the purchase price (or terms) of the car you buy.

Looking at a repair this way can prove enlightening. Should I spend $2,500 (or let's include tires & brakes and make it $5,000) on a car that I know or unload it (broken) for next to nothing and spend HOW MUCH? on its replacement?

Get real. Sure, there comes a time to unload a car, but focus on real out of pocket costs, not some fiction that you'll never see, anyway.

turnne is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    There are aftermarket substitutes for MRC shocks that are all some extended warranty companies will cover. I read about them here from a member. I'm tempted but will probably buy from Chris at Rippy's if and when.

This debate about repair cost exceeding the value of ones car is looking at the wrong number. I think replacement cost is far more important than some speculation about market value IF in good condition. What do you care? No one is going to offer you that for a car that needs an expensive repair, anyway. If it isn't repaired, nobody will buy it. A dealer might take it in trade, but only by inflating the purchase price (or terms) of the car you buy.

Looking at a repair this way can prove enlightening. Should I spend $2,500 (or let's include tires & brakes and make it $5,000) on a car that I know or unload it (broken) for next to nothing and spend HOW MUCH? on its replacement?

Get real. Sure, there comes a time to unload a car, but focus on real out of pocket costs, not some fiction that you'll never see, anyway.
    Echase

this is what I call financial reality...and what 90% of automobile owners are going to live by

I agree with you that not repaired, the car is practically worthless....so its a catch 22

However...90% of the people are not going to fix a car where the repair cost/car value ratio is where it is in this situation

Would you have considered fixing your HG if your old car had been worth 2x-3x of what it was?

And the cycle continues with older Cadillacs and the value retention. Either someone buys it cheap used and cant afford the repairs...or someone is unwilling to pour money into a car that is relatively low in value......Enter "Buy Here pay here" car lots next to the Jaguars that have the same value retention issues and expensive repairs

I for one dont think these MRC shocks add much in the way of overall ride and handling..vs cars with passive systems that rode and handled better

One caveat with the older cars is/was the ability to bypass this system and use passive shocks
    This added new life to many of the older STS body style cars. I dont think you will have many that will drop $2500 in a 6K car...most will probably just keep driving it and let the chips fall where they may

how many 6-7 year old Caddy's have you seen driving around with warning lights on..."Check Ride Control" being one of them?

Warren

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.