Starter "clicks"
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Starter "clicks" in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I've noticed twice today after the car has set for awhile my first try to start it I only get ...
    DarkMingBlueSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS 6 CYL

Starter "clicks"

I've noticed twice today after the car has set for awhile my first try to start it I only get a single click noise( I'm assuming the noise is the starter). When I press "off" and try again it starts fine. Battery is a year old and charging seems fine by the meter on the DIC. I'm thinking the starter is going bad, what do y'all think? And anybody have experience with that repair? Thanks in advance...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Have you checked your connections?

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 126k
    Mine did that too, during remote or manual starts....Starter was replaced under my extended warranty.

Think it ran about $600-$700 at the Cadillac dealer. I paid my $100 deductible...
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

02603sec is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS 1SF Black V8 2006

Re: Starter "clicks"

I would have to look at the power cables, terminals, as well as the grounds, Wire brush them all. The starter motors in these should go a long time.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

If the battery terminals & cable-ends are clean & tight, how old is the battery?

Bat is a year old, I'll check the connections at the bat tomorrow and if I can get under it enough I'll check them at the starter

----------

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMingBlueSTS
    Bat is a year old, I'll check the connections at the bat tomorrow and if I can get under it enough I'll check them at the starter
    Also car has 185,xxx miles on it

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkMingBlueSTS View Post
    Also car has 185,xxx miles on it
    So I get the feeling that you might be trying to tell us it's been started a few times over the years.

Lol exactly Luda

orange57 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS Northstar RWD
    Do you have the v6 or Northstar? If the Northstar, the starter is under the intake manifold. Not sure where it is on the V6.

----------

Nevermind, i see you have the v6. The forum app on my phone didn't list your car the way a web browser does.

Yeah same with mine and my ipad app, lol that's why I always try to post the motor too...but yes a 3.6

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMingBlueSTS
    Yeah same with mine and my ipad app, lol that's why I always try to post the motor too...but yes a 3.6
    Checked the bat terminals today and maybe they were a little loose(got like a 1/4 turn on them) but time will tell....

orange57 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS Northstar RWD
    That could definetly be it. I used to have an old Jeep CJ5, and occasionally the starter would just click and not engage. I found i could move the positive slightly on the post. Cleaned the post, made the connection good and tight, and never had the issue again.

Quote Originally Posted by orange57
    That could definetly be it. I used to have an old Jeep CJ5, and occasionally the starter would just click and not engage. I found i could move the positive slightly on the post. Cleaned the post, made the connection good and tight, and never had the issue again.
    Lol yeah I've had some old mud trucks where I had to beat the mess out of the starter the next day after mudding so maybe I'll be lucky and it's only those connections...it's only been a few hours since I've tightened them but so far all is good

Lifer is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS 1SG, 2001 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

I got the click click click and then start routine a few times in the past week, and once my door would not open as if the battery was dead. I have 74,000 miles on the V8 and wondered if the starter was dying. I even got a service engine soon warning last night. So, I took it Walmart this morning for a free battery check. The Walmart battery I have is the fifth battery, counting the original factory issue, put in this 2006 car since new (09/2012)- the others were three Delco replacements under warranty. The tech said it tested badly and should be replaced. Since it has a three-year warranty, it would be no charge.

But since the size I installed (myself in September) was not the correct size listed in the Walmart service book, they are not allowed to replace it for me. The required size is not carried by Walmart, but the size I used fits perfectly after removing the carrying strap, as recommended by many on this forum. But, the tech gave me a box of tools and a space to work, and I changed the battery myself.

After it was installed, I reset the express windows and have started the car a few times. All as it should be. So, the failing battery was the problem and not the starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifer
    I got the click click click and then start routine a few times in the past week, and once my door would not open as if the battery was dead. I have 74,000 miles on the V8 and wondered if the starter was dying. I even got a service engine soon warning last night. So, I took it Walmart this morning for a free battery check. The Walmart battery I have is the fifth battery, counting the original factory issue, put in this 2006 car since new (09/2012)- the others were three Delco replacements under warranty. The tech said it tested badly and should be replaced. Since it has a three-year warranty, it would be no charge.

But since the size I installed (myself in September) was not the correct size listed in the Walmart service book, they are not allowed to replace it for me. The required size is not carried by Walmart, but the size I used fits perfectly after removing the carrying strap, as recommended by many on this forum. But, the tech gave me a box of tools and a space to work, and I changed the battery myself.

After it was installed, I reset the express windows and have started the car a few times. All as it should be. So, the failing battery was the problem and not the starter.
    Nice...mine was just loose connections at the battery

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.