At 75,000 Miles. What to expect next?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, At 75,000 Miles. What to expect next? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 2006 STS V6 with about 75k miles. I'm wondering what services/tune-ups/problems I am going to encounter in ...
    kschwed is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS 1SC

At 75,000 Miles. What to expect next?

I have a 2006 STS V6 with about 75k miles.

I'm wondering what services/tune-ups/problems I am going to encounter in the next 25,000 miles.

So far I've only had to replace:
    torque converter (25k miles ago and under warranty)
    ignition coils 1 and 3 (both within the last 5k miles)

The car runs pretty well, but every once in a while, and seemingly randomly, it takes two attempts for the car to start. It also goes through a quart of oil every 1k miles.

It is in need of four new tires. I'll probably go with the Conti Extreme DWS's at the tune of about $900 and will also need to replace one of the TPMS's.

My question really boils down to whether or not I should invest this $900 in to new tires and probably some preventative maintenance, or if I should start shopping for new cars before something breaks. I would like to keep this car for no more than two more years, but wouldn't be against trading it in if there is likely going to be thousands of dollars in repairs between the 75k and 100k mileage.

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

orange57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS Northstar RWD
    I don't know that you can expect problems. Some people are trouble free their entire ownership, others have more issues.

As far as things that are wear items, you already mentioned tires, have you done brakes before? Probably filters, a coolant flush, maybe a hose or two depending on how they wear. I don't know that there is a clear answer for you.

Re: At 75,000 Miles. What to expect next?

Yeah, I've replaced brakes as well. They should be good for a while.

Now that I think about it, I did the cabin filter and air filter both at 50k miles.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

If you like the car, keep it. Trading cars rarely saves money. But if there's another car you really want, buy it; life's too short.

But it's never cheaper to buy a new car. Driving it off the lot simply costs too much.

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    If you like the car, keep it. Trading cars rarely saves money. But if there's another car you really want, buy it; life's too short.

But it's never cheaper to buy a new car. Driving it off the lot simply costs too much.
    You're quite right. My only concern is that I'll end up putting thousands into the car in the next 25k miles as I know that this is when things start to break. All things considered I'd like to get in a new car if I know that the effective cost of getting in a new car will be minimized by the cost of repairing this one, even if it's not a break even. I'm just trying to estimate with some amount of accuracy whether or not I'm really going to end up spending thousands. This brings me back to Econ class and utility curves.

I know that timing chains are an issue with this engine (I check my oil every week and it burns through it), and they can cost upwards of $1500 to fix, but with the exception of that, is there anything else common that usually goes wrong? I don't really mind replacing a few more ignition coils or spark plugs. That's the least of my worries.

And I love this car.

Oil is cheap in comparison. Some members report great results. If there's nothing else you really want, reevaluate in 6-12 months.

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    Oil is cheap in comparison. Some members report great results. If there's nothing else you really want, reevaluate in 6-12 months.
    Report great results from what? Adding oil all the time? I know that adding oil helps keep the tensioners working properly so the chains don't break. Is that to say that if I stay on top of checking my oil, I'll be in good shape?

turnne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS

Quote Originally Posted by kschwed View Post
    Report great results from what? Adding oil all the time? I know that adding oil helps keep the tensioners working properly so the chains don't break. Is that to say that if I stay on top of checking my oil, I'll be in good shape?
    yes...I hear you

with these cars its always...to me anyway....the big question

When are you better off to trade/sell the car before you get that $2000 repair that adds nothing to the cars value

The related issue is the cars market value
    For instance with the 02 STS I had...it had 125K when I traded it in...they gave me $3500 for a car that was in very good condition

However ..I was thinking that the suspension was about to go south and the only option, at that time, was the dealer to the tune of about $3800 for that repair

Spending $3800 on a repair would be a bitter pill. However that money invested in a $4K car would have been another huge slap in the face and added insult to injury

To my knowledge there is still no aftermarket replacements for the magnetic ride control shocks....like the older ones

Warren

@ Warren

Sounds like you understand my dilemma. I think I've decided to take my chances with the car. Even if I get slapped with a $2000 repair bill, that's still cheaper long term than buying something new. In all reality, there isn't a whole lot that goes wrong with these cars. I don't have MRC, so I won't ever get that bill. I do my own brakes and oil, so I save some cash there. I've replaced my own ignition coils too. The torque converter has already been replaced. I supposed I don't see a whole lot more going wrong with this car.... Famous last words, I know.

That's where I was headed. Sorry I wasn't clear. Some members go twice that mileage with only regular maintenance and not all V6 timing chains fail!

ITSQUIK is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS
    I dropped off my baby tonight. (05, 3.6, RWD). It has 105,000 miles & the timing chains are starting to rattle & it's got a bad motor mount. My buddy is a heavy line tech at my local Caddy dealer so he's doing it all for me tomorrow. I got it with around 70,000 & I do drive hard so I have no complaints. He checked the history & it was well maintained up to the point when I bought it. So, he is doing the timing chains. I'm having him replace both motor mounts while he's there. Replacing the water pump since the check coolant comes on about every 3 weeks & again, it's right there. We are doing a fuel system service, tranny service, new spark plugs & the T-Stat assembly. It shows minor signs of leakage as well. Even with the chains rattling & a bad motor mount, the car still runs perfect & hasn't given me a lick if problems. I figure I better take care of my baby now, since she has been so good to me & do all the preventative maintenance & give all the extra TLC I can!! I still have big plans for her but the drivetrain has to be tiptop before any of them can take place now. I'll post the results of my STS's day at spa after tomorrow!!

06WhiteDiamond is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac STS-V

2006 Cadillac STS V6 AWD

Bought my car with 100,000km's, it currently has 133,500km's and i just had it in the shop for the following. Its a good thing a put away a few grand anticipating these repairs because this was on hefty repair bill. I even managed to get 15% off the labor cost since i used to work for the Cadillac dealer, not to mention cost on all the parts as well. Total $2900.00

Replace the following.

Both front struts
    Both front lower control arms
    Front pads and rotors
    Rear pads and rotors
    *Four wheel alignment*

ITSQUIK is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS
    Soooooo, Timing Chains-Done, Water Pump-Done, Motor Mounts-Done, Spark Plugs-Done, T-Stat & Assembly-Done, Tranny Service-Done, Fuel System Service-Done!! With 105,000 miles & She absolutely feels like a brand Caddy!!! No Rattles, No Vibrations, No more ticking of injectors or timing chains & my Heavy Line Tech buddy @ Cadillac that did all the work says she is in Tip-Top shape & will stay that way as long as I maintain her, which won't be an issue!!!! Now back to the modifications list....I'll post up more pics after the next session!!

[IMG][/IMG]

stevenriz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS4 V8 1SG Platinum Edition

Bought mine at 15k and now have 130k with no major issues. I rarely drive hard but still do on occasion. Power steering has a slight leak and the passenger door is slow to open. Was about to replace the micro switches in the door but it rained and got humid out so it is now working again. I hear the door switches like the humidity! Otherwise it purrs and I still love it!

cykotic247 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS

What kind of exhaust do you have?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.