4.6l Motor mount replacement
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 4.6l Motor mount replacement in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; 2005 STS 4.6L RWD: Has anyone replaced the motor mounts? If so, can it be done without removing the exhaust ...
    bs1295 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8

4.6l Motor mount replacement

2005 STS 4.6L RWD: Has anyone replaced the motor mounts? If so, can it be done without removing the exhaust manifolds? I would be doing this on the garage floor with car on stands. The service manual calls for removing the manifolds but I wondered if anyone has performed this job and if they really had to remove the manifolds. The other question was if someone likes an after market mount better then please offer a suggestion... (I was thinking the aftermarket ones might be smaller and easier to fit back in if the manifolds were left on.)Thanks for your help and suggestions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 125k

Re: 4.6l Motor mount replacement

Didn't do it myself but I remember the mechanic sarcastically saying how much fun my FRT driver side one was to replace....

Think it was over 3 hours worth of labor IIRC.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

orange57 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS Northstar RWD
    I think someone on here did it without removing the manifold. Just takes patience. I had a post on mounts a short bit ago that had some good activity. It is on my to do list.

thanks for your comments. I had searched prior to posting and I did not find much... I think one person said he did it on a lift but I think he was talking about a CTS not an STS.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    Quote Originally Posted by bs1295 View Post
    thanks for your comments. I had searched prior to posting and I did not find much... I think one person said he did it on a lift but I think he was talking about a CTS not an STS.
    Well the CTS doesn't run with the v8 4.6L so if you can figure out what engine it was it would tell you the car at least to a point.

To bring closure to this post I did the job over the weekend. The right side is easy, less than an hour. The left side bolts are harder to get to due to the lines, hoses and steering box. I did it without a lift which also made it more difficult.

Thanks for the update and reporting back. So i'm guessing it was doable then. Any tips or pointers, or lessons learned that would help out future DIY'ers?

matt

Here is my basic description for the next guy who tries this. A lift would be great but I did not have one and made this harder. I also did not want to remove the exhaust manifolds as the service manual suggests...You have to drop the bottom nut off the motor mount then take the mount bracket bolts (4 each out of block) out then remove the mount with the bracket attached on the right side. with the assembly removed from the car take the nut off that holds the mount to the bracket itself, then put the new mount on the bracket. Next put the combined assembly back in position and put the bottom mount nut on and the 4 bracket bolts back in. To get enough room to remove and install the assembly I had to lift the engine up to get the assembly out and in so that means you have to take the bottom mount bolt off the left side too. I also took the transmission mount bolts out so the engine would come up far enough without putting strain on transmission mount. I also took the fan shrould bolts out so the fan would move up enough as I lifted the engine. On the left side the only difference was the bolts are harder to get to. I could not get the mount w bracket assembly out in one piece so I positioned it sideways parallel to the engine so I could take the top mount nut off the bracket and replace the mount as the mount would come out of the area, it is really tight. This was difficult because you have to wedge the bracket while turning the nut. The passenger side takes less than an hour after car is up on stands. The driver side took 2 hours or so. I also had to cut a 15mm wrench off and put a cheater pipe on it to break a few bolts lose. The mount nuts are 13/16 socket and the bracket bolts are 15mm. I had about 180 bucks in parts with a gm discout, but the cadillac dealer parts dept wanted 155 for rt and 130 for the left, The service dept at the caddy dealer wanted 1200 to do the job so I saved 1000 this past Saturday.
    Good Luck if you try the right side, the left side is pretty easy though.
    I would not recomend this unless you are pretty mechanincal and have done a lot of car repair as it was difficult in my opinion.

Ben

Charles Warren is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 sts v8 and 2003 cts 3.2

That's how i did mine minus taking fan out and trans bolts off(i had a lift), didn't take manifold off. It was a pita but i got her done in less time than alldata said. Got rear bushing out without special tool but think tool will help and save time but i have revshift 3 piece bushing now.

So I attempted this one today. And now matter how I tried, the drivers side mount I could not get up high enough to get the stud out of the frame in order to tip the assembly sideways. The bolts are a PITA, but doable, but just couldn't get the assembly or the old mount out. So needless to say the old mount is still in the car, and my efforts were wasted on that side. Also doesn't help being around 110 in the garage today. I think i'm done and may take this in to have someone else complete. I think i've lost 10 lbs of water weight this morning attempting it....

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

From what I hear, you must have AC in your garage. Aren't you seeing 50-year highs in Phoenix?

We have a small portable AC unit that we used in our room before we had our baby so we could cool just our bedroom and not the entire house at night. I moved it to the garage, and the plan was to let it run all night to cool the garage to about 80 or so. Well go figure, that when I go to plug it in it isn't working anymore Big part of why I gave up for the day. The heat is miserable. And using the swamp cooler just made it hot and more humid in the garage.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Take to it to a reliable shop. I call that money well spent under these conditions.

That's what I was thinking of doing in order to avoid heat stroke. I just don't want the bill lol

Charles Warren is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 sts v8 and 2003 cts 3.2

damn thats hot, and dont know why but mine came out. You have to tilt the mount and wiggle that mfer out. Its a pain at first but it will come out if you charm it. I see the oem mounts are wider than these revshift poly mounts so the polys went back in easier.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.