Tpms on 1sa - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Tpms on 1sa in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by chazglenn3 My 2005 has them. I have replaced three of the four of them...LR twice in the ...
    ddalder is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Re: Tpms on 1sa

Quote Originally Posted by chazglenn3 View Post
    My 2005 has them. I have replaced three of the four of them...LR twice in the two years I have owned the car. But, I blame the relatively inexpensive TPMS sensors that I buy from Discount Tire.
    I believe you've pretty much hit the nail on the head. Realistically, whether it's GM or aftermarket, there are likely to be problems (perhaps more with aftermarket). I have no doubt that there are military or aircraft grade systems that have very high reliability. To start installing these in passenger vehicles would likely become cost prohibitive. Further refinement of the "consumer" grade product is definitely necessary and I'm sure can improve overall reliability. I feel it does eventually come down to a cost-benefit decision. When GM (and other makers) start to delete things like a right hand door lock cylinder, under hood light, interior courtesy lighting, etc., the message is clear that they want to reduce the cost of building vehicles. I'm sure they feel the current systems provide acceptable levels of reliability given the maturity of the technology.

dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

The system is government mandated. That ought to tell you everything you need to know.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Lifer is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS 1SG, 2001 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post
    My 05 1sg has them.

Pain in the ass.
    You can bet your bippy on that one. I have replace two in three years, and the DIC won't stop reporting it until they are fixed.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

Quote Originally Posted by neverlateSTS View Post
    ....the new cars to come will go into limp mode if the tpms signals trouble.
    I had not heard/read anything about that before your post.
    .... there will be an awful lot of slow traffic in the future if they dont get this stuff to last longer.
    In my limited experience with GM's applied TPMS technology (2004 DTS, 2011 Chevrolet) the weak link is sensor battery life. Electrical system engineers at Boeing might have some relevant up-to-date information on state of the art batteries.
    ....i would like to meet the idiot who came up with this mandate all because there were some blow outs and rolling over SUV's.
    You would be meeting with the members of congress that voted for the TREAD act (2000) and the president that signed it into law (Bill Clinton).

Add in the government employees at DOT/NHTSA that conducted/managed/compiled the test data to support/implement the requirements of the TREAD act.

As a side dish, throw in the judges of the U S Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit and you will have the short list of the major players (idiots?).
    ....Manufacturers would be better off supplying a tire guage and instructions on how to use it.
    I have no problem buying my own pressure guage and have been doing so for more than 50 years. The problem I see is convincing/coercing/bribing drivers to read and heed the instructions. The same drivers who do not read and heed the Owner's Manual.

If you have the time and inclination to plough through the legalese and bureaucratic language, here is a link to the DOT/NHTSA pdf file related to TPMS.
    http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/ruli...mPost2Cir.html

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 118k
    TPMS is OK for me....when I have my 18's mounted...

My 17" snowy's came off my CTS, no TPMS installed and I'm too cheap to have them installed from scratch on 4 wheels...I just push down on the "i" button a few times a day
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

EChas3 is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

I can't complain about the battery life on the OEM. Mine were installed in 2005 and only one is starting to get weak, 7 years later. Who makes the best replacements?

perrior is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 sts

Well I hate them, I am on my 5th one and the same thing is going on. First I start with the drivers side front and then a few weeks the passengers side.. Then the rear start. Each sensor is $65. this is the second time this is going on so this time I refuse to pay the dealer. Told him to fix the cause and not just replace them. While I'm on the subject does anyone have a procedure for relearning the tps.
    Also you can't use the obdII to remove the fault.. Every time I start the car I have to clear the code before the display panel works.

EChas3 is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

It's in the manual; or pop for the activation tool - way cool!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.