2005 STS-Problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 2005 STS-Problem in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I like to know if anyone is experiencing electrical problems with the 2005 STS? Only 1600 miles and the battery ...
    gygy_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Angry 2005 STS-Problem

I like to know if anyone is experiencing electrical problems with the 2005 STS? Only 1600 miles and the battery went dead because it sat in the driveway for 5 days. The dealership thinks that "roadside assistance" is the answer, but it is quite annoying. The alternator has been replaced, but the voltage is fluctuating between 12.9 and 14.7. This is my 3rd STS and I have not seen the voltage being so irregular. Any opinions, recommendations???
    GyGy

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dunroven is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: 2005 STS-Problem

Just had the same issue with mine. Off to store everything fine. Came out and 2005 STS wouldn't recognize key fob. Inserted key fob in center console and start button attempted and failed. Battery was all but dead in less than 15 minutes. What's up? I'm losing confidence which is quite scary for a car with just 1800 miles.

-john

caddycruiser is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's

Not to rain on your parade, but think about what it'll all be like when the car hits 5-10 years and beyond. Not a pretty picture. Mechanical issues and maintenance are common in that time, but so too will all the little "doo-dads" that stop working.

I think keyless start, remote start, etc. are all pretty cool things and I can see how useful they could be, but the reliability factor would just be too worrying.

Hopefully you guys with problems will get them fixed soon and have many (or at least a few...) , problem-free and happy years of Cadillac ownership!

msheri01 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

If you have early build cars, it may be an issue with the rear door wiring harnesses. There was a tsb with build ranges that the dealer should have checked and rerouted. I would call your dealer and ask them to do a bulliten search to see if your car is in the vehicle id range. If it is, they need to inspect and reroute the harness in the rear doors. Hope it helps.

CaddyRich is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by dunroven
    Just had the same issue with mine. Off to store everything fine. Came out and 2005 STS wouldn't recognize key fob. Inserted key fob in center console and start button attempted and failed. Battery was all but dead in less than 15 minutes. What's up? I'm losing confidence which is quite scary for a car with just 1800 miles.

-john
    Fortunately my car hasn't died yet, but I often have the problem where my Fobs are not recognized. If they are at all it isn't sure which one it is, one or two.
    This car is fun to drive, but in my 3 months of ownership I've had a bunch of issues.

STSgirl is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS (1SG) & 2007 Escalde EXT

Umm... why would a SWEET machine like this sit in your driveway for 5 days? My 1SG is lucky if it sits for 5 hours ;-)

dunroven is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Just picked up the caddy from the dealer. They tested battery drain with everything off and also tested the alternator. It was putting out 100 amps. As it turns out, the battery was bad. They said it had a dead cell and was toast. I checked the VIN and this car was about 3,000 after the did the whole Delco battery recall thing. Maybe we got one after recall?
    In any case, it seems fine. Battery voltage fluxuates between 12.9 and 14.4 depending on the time of day and the position of the planets.
    Seems funny. With all this awesome techonlogy, we are still using lead acid batteries with limited reliability (especially in this case).
    Hope no one else experiences this issue. It is quite embarrasing to sit with the hood up waiting for a tow truck while all the on lookers look in amazement!
    -john

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V

Quote Originally Posted by dunroven
    Hope no one else experiences this issue. It is quite embarrasing to sit with the hood up waiting for a tow truck while all the on lookers look in amazement!
    -john
    Yes, that would definitely be quite a party pooper for sure!

Dualcams34 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

If your still having problems with a dead battery, tell your dealer to look at the Larger black relays. You could have a read defog relay stuck on or some other option.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.