05 STS Likes & Dislikes
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 05 STS Likes & Dislikes in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I've had my 05 STS V8 RWD with the 1SF package for a month and 1,500 miles and here's what ...
    Fred STS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '05 STS, '04 Esculade ESV, '98 BMW Z3

05 STS Likes & Dislikes

I've had my 05 STS V8 RWD with the 1SF package for a month and 1,500 miles and here's what I think. And so you know where I'm coming from, I trade in a 2000 BMW 740i.

DISLIKES -
    Whatever happened to the engine compartment light?
    The turnk light is useless.
    Glove box will hold only one glove.
    The 17.5 gallon gas tank just ain't enough, needs 3 or 4 more gallons.
    Best hwy milage so far is 19.
    Red line paint has swirls in it.
    Can't rotate the tires because the rear tires/wheels are larger/wider than the front.
    It doesn't come with an ignition key.
    Michlien V rated Pilot tires are $225 each.
    So far unable to determine if the rain sensor wipers really work.

Will put down about 20 feet of rubber with the traction control off and without torquing up. Glad I didn't get the performance package or I'd be putting new tires on it already.
    Got it up to 120mph before running out of road. Will look for more road soon.
    Intelllibeam works well.
    Ventilated seats are cool.
    HID headlight are cool.
    Handles well, a little stiff, but that's how I like it.

iN spite all this I'm going to keep the car.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Leloz is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: 05 STS Likes & Dislikes

Overall how do you think it compared to your 7 series?

Blue Chip is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Smile Re: 05 STS Likes & Dislikes

Cadillac has had rain-sense wipers for years (my 2000 Seville STS had them). They've always worked very well and continue to do so on this car. I love having no ignition key. It's so much more convenient to just open the door and tap a button to start, rather than fumbling with keys. When I replace my sports car next year, this will be a plus for the Corvette. The only problem is I now wish I had the same for the door to my house.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Chip
    The only problem is I now wish I had the same for the door to my house.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5944969169

DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Fred STS
    I've had my 05 STS V8 RWD with the 1SF package for a month and 1,500 miles and here's what I think. And so you know where I'm coming from, I trade in a 2000 BMW 740i.

DISLIKES -
    Can't rotate the tires because the rear tires/wheels are larger/wider than the front.

Will put down about 20 feet of rubber with the traction control off and without torquing up. Glad I didn't get the performance package or I'd be putting new tires on it already.
    Got it up to 120mph before running out of road. Will look for more road soon.
    Intelllibeam works well.
    Ventilated seats are cool.
    HID headlight are cool.
    Handles well, a little stiff, but that's how I like it.

I am surprised you did not mention the keyless entry system. I have had mine for 3 weeks now ( 2,500 miles) and aside from the cars amazing driving ability , the keyless entry is my favorite feature.

The glove box has 2 levels but it could use a better design. The gas tank could use some more capacity, perhaps they were trying to keep weight down. Depending on whom you ask , roating tires are NOT necassary on today's modern tire's . When we buy a high perfromance car like the STS V8 ( or the BMW 7 Series) we cannot complain about mpg ! Right? I had my STS out in the rain a few times and the sensors work well. My major compliant about the STS is the voice recognition. I had the CTS prior and the voice tagging worked perfectly. The voice recognition in the STS requires much reading of the owners manuel as it is not forgiving and one must say the sentenced exactly how it appears in the owners manuel.

Last night my town in Long Island NY got hit with around 7 inches of snow and I must tell all of you that the AWD STS handeled great in this morning's sloopy rush hour...

Awesome Car.

PTC Sclade is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Hi Fred! Nice observations about some aspects of the car. I agree about the interior storage - glove box etc. Also agree about the paint swirls - see other thread and various posts. I love the: keyless entry system. the overall performance and handling, interior finish, Intellibeam lights, the overall appearance, heated steering wheel and seats, etc. My gas mileage leaves a lot to be desired as well, especially in the city (1SF package as well). I hope that after about 3000 miles the mileage improves (happened with several other new vehicles I have purchased). With a performance car you just take the tires and live with them. Have not yet been able to check out the rainsense wipers - does irritate me that they have to run occasionally in order for them to be in the on position. With a black car I try to avoid the rain. Overall I love the car but the exterior finish is about equivalent to vehicle worth about 15,000 dollars. Enjoy the ride and have fun.

Paul

majax is offline 32V Northstar

The best way to test your rainsense wipers is to just turn the car on, turn on rainsense, then use your garden hose and spray down the windshield. Kinda fun. Remember this is a 1st year production car and it aint perfect yet, but close

sreno is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

Quote Originally Posted by majax
    The best way to test your rainsense wipers is to just turn the car on, turn on rainsense, then use your garden hose and spray down the windshield.
    Or spray some windex or water on the windshield. Works for me.

ellives is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '76 Eldo convertible, 97' STS Z-rated, '02 STS

Quote Originally Posted by Fred STS

DISLIKES -

[... "LIKES" snipped ...]

Hmm -- you complained about leaving rubber and then complain about the mileage? Tire cost (rotation is cost related too) complaints? Get serious! It's a $60K car! I'm quite sure the Rainsense works. It works fine in my '97. No ignition key? Um -- I'll ship one to you to hang on your fob. What's the point?

Other than the quality-related issues (which I've harped on regularly) the balance of the complaints seem to be "we've always done it this way" kind of complaints. Get with the times and enjoy the car....

Ells

Fred STS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '05 STS, '04 Esculade ESV, '98 BMW Z3

Leloz - Overall the 740 is quite a car in most respects. Same wheelbase, 200 -300 lbs heavier, 290 HP. Fit & finish very good. A real hwy cruiser. My worst complaint is the you must take the car to a BMW dealer to have almost anything done including having the oil life monitor reset after an oil change.
    Blue Chip - I've had the auto wipers in the 740, '01 DTS and 98 ETC. Problem with the STS is that the manual isn't clear what position to put the wiper stalk in. Check the diagram in the manuel and then move through the positions on the stalk. Just kidding about having no key.
    DG2 - You're right, the keyless entry, driver memory and remote start is nice. BMW doesn't necessarily recommend tire rotation either. I know the AWD is invaluable when you need it (I also have a '04 Escalade ESV) but here in St Louis we need AWD may 3 - 4 times a year and since I have the Escalade, I didn't see the need and $1,600, the extra 200 lbs and 3:42 axle ratio.
    Paul - We agree.
    Majaz & Sreno - Thanks for the tip of wetting the windshield to test the auto wipers.
    Ellives - I am enjoying the car. Thanks to all of you for your comments

jworkmans is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Fred,
    I like your list....I think you hit a lot of items head-on!

I just got back (this evening) from a 1300+ mile trip (Dallas/St.Louis) in the STS and my impressions have changed significantly compared to just city driving. (I now have 2600 on the odo).

Seats: I've sat on church pews and prison benches that are more comfortable. Heating and cooling are great, but I just got callouses on both buttcheeks from these seats. Who designed them? Torquemada for the Spanish Inquisition?

Ambient Noise: There are other threads that talk about how "crypt-like" quiet the interior seems to be. I just spent several hours on US-69 in Oklahoma and I would swear I was driving the 74 Gremlin I had in college. Talk about road noise.....Of course the road was awful, like everything else in OK (Just Kidding....Maybe), but I was definately NOT impressed.

Handling: OK, the STS goes like stink and corners like it's on rails. But the suspension - regardless of which mode (sport/touring) you use, it feels like someone put gravel in the shocks. I've only ever experienced a ride this hard when I worked on a road crew and drove a frontloader. I know it's supposed to be "European", but none of the cars I had when I lived in the UK ever drove this bad.

Voice Control: Less than useless, it's actually counter productive. I've had better conversations with the foreign call-center monkeys they use at Citibank. It's astounding that Cadillac would put such schlock in their "World-Beater" car.

Finish: My car is black and it gets swirl marks if you stare at it too hard. I spend more time cleaning it than any car I've ever owned. Maybe I should just dip it in shellack.

HiBeams: I think I p.o.'d about a dozen truckers coming home - those hibeams would come up and take forever to do down. It was a little spooky. I'm just not convinced GM has done this particular feature very well.

Bluetooth Phone: I have had NOTHING but trouble with this feature. Of course it's difficult to tell if it's the phone (LG PM325) or the car. Either way it hacks me off regularly.

Trunk: I have bigger pockets (Of course, my tuchus is big, too, but that's another story).

Glove Box: My left nostril is the same size.

OK - that's my list of beefs from this trip....the good stuff goes like this:

FAST - This monster will whup the trousers off almost anything on the hiway....it's yeehah-quick and, as it was stated in this thread, you can lay some serious rubber if you want. I love being able to accelerate from 80 to 120 and have it pull hard the whole way....never had a car with balls this big before.

HANDLING - Like I said, it corners like it's on rails. From a car this heavy it's nothing short of amazing. That super-stiff suspension prolly has a lot to do with it. I know, if I want it mushy then I hafta give up cornering....I'll take the cornering, thanks.

ACC - The Adaptive Cruise Control should get a Nobel Prize for Me Not Killing Schmucks On The Highway! It's da bomb on a long trip - the best invention since round wheels.

Sound System: Amar Bose is gonna be on my Christmas Card List forever. The 15 speakers simply are superb. Couple the speakers and woofers with XM, some outstanding CD's and you have a sonic orgasm on wheels. Yeah, you could infer that I like it. *grin*

Heated Seats & Steering Wheel: It was like 14 degress in St.Louis this past weekend and I thanked the folks at GM when my hands and backside were thawing. Man, winter sucks, but this car makes it a little better.

Headlights: This baby lights up the road like you have carbon arc lights on it. I don't like driving at night cuz I can't see so good...this car really helps with that one.

Taillights: The LED's are just too cool for words.

Fit-n-finish: As good as any foreign car I've ever seen and better than most of them.

Appearance: It's a wicked good looking car and I've already had about 6 people (including a Dallas cop) stop and talk to me about it.

Heads-Up Display: It took me a while to get used to it, but now I just love all the information I get without having to look down at the pod or the touch-screen. It was information-overload for a while, but now I find it to be extremely useful. It has a couple of "quirks", but they're minor and easily overlooked in comparison to the usefulness of the unit.

Heated Rear Seats: My Mom & Dad nearly flipped out when I took them to dinner. For old, arthritic people this was nearly a miracle. Mom offered to buy the car from me right then and there. Of course, her Social Security check would only cover about half the payment....but the notion was sweet anyway.

Gas Mileage: Pretty average. I got about 20 on the trip, at about 70+ MPH most of the way. With only 1300 on the odo when I left, that was pretty good for a new engine. It's great, considering the 340HP and all the rompin-n-stompin I do and lots better than my last SRX and Avalanche.

Power Tilt & Telescope Steering Wheel: This is simply too cool for words...I love it when it goes up-n-away when I get out and pops into my hands when I get in. Makes me feel sorta "spayshul"!

Keyless Entry: I don't ever take my keys outta my pocket anymore. This saves me SO much time and trouble it's amazing. I love the auto-lock feature when I walk away from the car. This, alone (Along with remote-start) is worth the cost of buying a Caddy instead of a Lincoln.

Oh, and did I mention it's fast!!!

In general, there's still a lot of work to be done on this platform. I think Cadillac is finally serious about giving the Germans and Japanese a serious run for the big money. The STS is a damn fine start on the race and, IMHO, is a grand slam for GM. There's enough about the car that hacks me off that I won't rush out and buy a second one for the wife (She has an '04 CTS that we wanna get rid of). Essentially, I have mixed emotions but I'm seriously optomistic that the next model year of the STS will be SO much better where it needs to be and SO superior where it already is.

Well, that's my $.02........

Regards and Happy 2005!

John

rayainsw is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

28 Dec 2004

I just returned a 2005 Jaguar S-Type R after an “extended test drive”. (List w/ Nav. = approx. $61.5K. 390 HP / 399 TQ)

I have test driven 2 STS-s – a 1SE and a 1SF.
    And I do like the STS – a lot. And I am encouraged by Caddy’s direction in bringing these cars to market.

A couple of comments about the above observations from owners:
    (And thanks for sharing, people!)

Gas mileage – I do not expect that most people who seriously consider purchase of a $60K vehicle to have Honda Civic fuel economy. But I do seriously question whether the 1SF EPA estimates are ‘real’. And the fuel tank size is also an issue as it relates to comfortable ( 1 – 1.5 gal. Reserve) cruising range.

I am a bit surprised by the highway MPG-s reported here, but perhaps I should not be. With the 3.42 final drive and a 5-speed trans. (5th = 0.76 vs. the Jag’s 6th = 0.69 and final drive = 2.87.)

I was watching the fuel mileage on the S-Type R carefully as I drove it during my typical commute and a couple of “fun runs”. It looks like in nearly identical driving (as close as I could come to duplicating my normal use) the R would return almost exactly the same fuel mileage as my current car – a 2003 Lincoln LS V8 – 280 HP / 282 TQ. The EPA highway rating on the R is 24. My car was also rated at 24. The 6th speed in the trans. allows the motor to loaf (approx. 1650 rpm at 60!) when cruising and when I could maintain a steady highway cruise, it settled into the mid-20-s. This R had 3,500 miles on it.

While the STS is clearly quicker than my LS V8, the R is quicker still – and it looks to me like the R may pay a smaller gas mileage / range penalty for that capability. (18.5 gal. tank.)

Ride: The ride was a very pleasant surprise. In driving both S-Types and XJs previously (rentals and Friends’) I have not been as impressed as some others have been. The STS with MagnaRide is OK – and slightly better than my LS. The S-Type R has very aggressive rubber, with 35 series rear tires only 10 MM narrower than on the rear of a new Corvette. (275/35ZR18 Continental Conti Sports on the rear of this particular example.) I was absolutely amazed by the smooth, well controlled ride. At every speed and over a wide variety of surfaces, no harshness anywhere except when I drove over the speed bumps at a local Mall perimeter road. And these are extreme speed bumps. Otherwise, it was better than I expected and very, very pleasant. Better than the STS-s, in my judgment.

So – based on these and several other aspects that I won’t bore anyone with here - if I were spending this kind of money today (and the Jag dealership does not, right now, appear willing / able to meet my pricing requirements) I would drive another STS, but I would likely buy the Jag.

Again – no offense to any who like and / or have purchased the STS – I do like many aspects of the car.

Just my $.01 worth – discounted at year end . . .
    - Ray
    Glad we do have such a wide variety of interesting choices . . .

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.