Same size tires all around - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Same size tires all around in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I've got over 25,000 on mine and they are still quiet and have great traction. I do rotate them every ...
    EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Re: Same size tires all around

I've got over 25,000 on mine and they are still quiet and have great traction. I do rotate them every oil change, roughly annual & 10k.

jsiddall is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 SRX V8 AWD Sport, 06 STS V8, 05 SRX V8 AWD, 97 STS

I just put winter tires on my STS, same size Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D 235/50R18 all around with aftermarket Niche NR10 rims. So far so good.

DSC_4587.JPG

06 STS Rob is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 STS V, had 06 V6 STS

I ran 255/35/20's on all 4's for about 10k miles with no problems at all. They were Nitto 555's on KMC Dimes. I enjoyed them right up to the day I traded the car in. The Nitto's were good for So Cal but the guys on the east coast who actually have winter months may not like them. Car was a little rough compared to stock, but by no means did it ride rough. I got many compliments from people that rode in the car about how smooth it was with 20's.

kschwed is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS 1SC

I got the DWS's put on a couple days ago and couldn't be happier. I went the same size all around.

Thanks for the tips guys.

konoplya is offline Cadillac Owners Member

sorry fellas to bring this up from the dead, but the STS 4 that i have has the same size tires as OP (235R5017). i need some new tires and found a guy that has a whole set of almost brand new 225R5017 for a great price. i know the size is a little smaller but was wondering if that would work without problems on stock STS rims? thanks!

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

They would work, they would fit the rim but the speedometer is going to read faster than you are really going. About 2% difference (using Michelin MXM4 specs).

Quote Originally Posted by C&C View Post
    They would work, they would fit the rim but the speedometer is going to read faster than you are really going. About 2% difference (using Michelin MXM4 specs).
    not that i would particularly care about that, but whats the explanation behind that? 225 is the width so how would that impact the speedometer read? i was more curious whether the 225 would be too narrow and cause long term problems for the wider stock rim or vice versa. thanks!

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

225 (width) in mm
    50 (aspect ratio) percent value that the side wall is in comparison to the width
    17 (wheel size) in inches

so the overall diameter of that tire in inches is (225)x(.50)x(2)x(.03937)+17 = 25.85825 inches
    the x2 is for the two sidewall sections and the .03937 is to convert the mm to inches

for your factory 235/50r17 the overall diameter is 26.25195 inches

some more math gives you the difference in circumferences which then leads you to the % difference the spedo will read off

btw, there are online calculators to check if two tire sizes have the same overall diameter (or if they're close)

note that the sts and srx vehicles that have these staggered tire sizes still have the same overall diameter for both the fronts and the rears (although that doesn't mean you can/should rotate them)

and for the record, i only recommend using the factory tire sizes (on any vehicle)

---

re: wider/narrower tires -- the contact patch with the road is not as large on a narrower tire so the traction will break sooner
    C&C likes this.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

1crock is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4

While that's the theoretical size of the tire, it's best to check the actual diameter. Tire rack and some other places have those numbers. Theactual size and the calculated size aren't always the same.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

true
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

FWIW, the STS AWD uses open differentials, so you'd be fine, mechanically. If the used tires are over five years old, they are suspect, regardless of the tread.

ah ok. some really good information. thank you guys so much. the tires are from 2012 that my buddy has so i should be good. they're literally like new.
    i never really thought about the width from the mathematical perspective like that, i just thought about the 50 being 50mm and not a percentage figure. thanks for that.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.