iPhone 5 Video Out Solutions??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, iPhone 5 Video Out Solutions?? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Does anyone have any solutions for integrating the new iPhone 5 (digital) video out feature in our vehicles that have ...
    eatyoursandwich is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS N*

iPhone 5 Video Out Solutions??

Does anyone have any solutions for integrating the new iPhone 5 (digital) video out feature in our vehicles that have only composite (analog) inputs?

Will the nav unit even accept digital video inputs?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DarkMingBlueSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS 6 CYL
    Eat I don't have an iPhone or nav but home a/v is what I do for a living so maybe I can help...is there not a cable made for the 5 that has a composite RCA type connection on it? Or maybe mini hdmi? If its hdmi only you'll have to find a box that converts hdmi to composite video because I'm pretty sure your nav can only except composite video

----------

I just googled your problem and it looks like you are stuck until the lighting to hdmi cable is released...so you'll need that and a hdmi to composite converter...the hard part is powering the converter...if you can find one that that works off of 12vdc great if not I did see one that works off of 5vdc which is the same as USB

Re: iPhone 5 Video Out Solutions??

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMingBlueSTS View Post
    Eat I don't have an iPhone or nav but home a/v is what I do for a living so maybe I can help...is there not a cable made for the 5 that has a composite RCA type connection on it? Or maybe mini hdmi? If its hdmi only you'll have to find a box that converts hdmi to composite video because I'm pretty sure your nav can only except composite video

----------

I just googled your problem and it looks like you are stuck until the lighting to hdmi cable is released...so you'll need that and a hdmi to composite converter...the hard part is powering the converter...if you can find one that that works off of 12vdc great if not I did see one that works off of 5vdc which is the same as USB
    Thanks for the help!

I was hoping to avoid having to wire an analog to digital converter box to a 12v power source, then use the lightning to HDMI adapter, but that looks like the only option, atm. Looks like other models with composite connections are trying to find work-arounds, but nothing yet. I guess I'll just hang on to the 4 for in-car entertainment purposes..

DarkMingBlueSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS 6 CYL
    Yes that sucks but I don't it would be too difficult to hard wire in the converter or wait till a composite adapter cable is made...I'm pretty sure one will be made but I doubt that's high on the list :/

----------

*i don't think it would be too difficult to hard wire

Ludacrisvp is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
    There is this for HDMI to Composite, runs on 5VDC so you will need to power it via USB or a voltage regulator should be able to work.
    Typically this will introduce noise in the audio that most people don't want. Not sure if this would suffer from that or not, haven't used it.
    For what its worth I have used this company's HDMI to VGA and Optical to RCA and Optical to Coax and HDMI switch before and they do work very well and are priced better than competition and they pass the HDCP handshake properly so you can watch video without issue (BluRay for example will be playable via a convertor like this).

I have been thinking more and more about integrating the AppleTV into the car in some form but haven't really worked out the finer details on it yet.

tomm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Cadillac CTS VSport

There is no Composite output on IOS 6.0, They removed the video output capability with 6.0.

So appletv and AirPlay or a lightning to HDMI cable of that exists/works on the iPhone plus the converter sounds like the only options here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp View Post
    So appletv and AirPlay or a lightning to HDMI cable of that exists/works on the iPhone plus the converter sounds like the only options here.
    Meh. Not worth it to me. Guess I'll be keeping the 4 around.

Thanks again everyone!

Crisco is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I installed an Apple TV in my car (Jeep in this case). This involved an HDMI to RCA converter, portable USB powered router, power inverter and of course the Apple TV. It works pretty well with exception of the occasional disconnect from the network.

Quote Originally Posted by Crisco View Post
    I installed an Apple TV in my car (Jeep in this case). This involved an HDMI to RCA converter, portable USB powered router, power inverter and of course the Apple TV. It works pretty well with exception of the occasional disconnect from the network.
    Hmm, might have to look at going this route with a minor twist being using a usb powered 3G/4G hotspot as the 'router/wifi' connection point for airplay usage.

Which HDMI -> RCA converter are you using? any Audio noise noticed?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.