Cadillac Owners Forum banner

new and looking into purchasing a cadillac

9K views 62 replies 17 participants last post by  ECha3 
#1 ·
Im not new to the forums. I am 36yrs old and have owned my 01 Lexus IS300 for the past 6yrs. Im getting tired of her and looking to purchase a Cadillac STS standard model, or platinum. Maybe a V series, if the motor is stronger and more reliable. Just not sure about the MPG on the V series, hence why im looking for a V6 ;)

I have been doing some research but havent had any luck. There just doesnt seem to be that much support, nor aftermarket support on them. Im at a stand still and tired of hearing the same old, dont buy Cadillac or American. Yes, I have owned Japanese models pretty much my whole life. I did own one American, a '90 Pontiac Grand Am when I was in High School. That was my first and last American made car, cus the motor knocked and then the tranny went out. I hope the newer models are much more reliable?

If anyone on here can guide me in the right direction, or have knowledge on these cars. Dont hesitate to reply and we can go from there.

Thanks and hope to hear from u

#35 · (Edited)
cancel that statement ... either it was an issue with autotrader at the time or some funky link breakage from tapatalk as its still listed for sale when looking from the Mac.

----
compnine shows this is 1SF with FE1 suspension JE5 brakes and the GU2 2.73 axel ratio it does have heated/ventilated seats also appears to be RWD model (don't see any AWD mentions in the RPO decode)
With that axel ratio and RWD only the mileage will be the basically as high as you can get with the V8 model. Doesn't this typically indicate possible fleet / rental car?

Code:
Vehicle: STS V8 4 DR
Year: 2007
Build Date: Unk.

Found 4,094 vehicles matching your year and model in our database.
RPO	Description
UA6	THEFT DETERRENT SYSTEM ANTI-THEFT(UA6)
UE1	COMMUNICATION SYSTEM VEHICLE, G.P.S. 1 GPS 1 VEH COMM SYS(UE1)
UG1	OPENER GARAGE DOOR, UNIVERSAL UNIVERSAL GARAGE DR OPENER(UG1)
UJ6	INDICATOR,LOW TIRE PRESS LOW TIRE PRESSURE IND(UJ6)
UY5	SPEAKER SYSTEM 15, DELUXE DELUXE SPKR SYS(UY5)
U2K	DIGITAL AUDIO SYSTEM S-BAND DIGITAL S-BAND AUDIO SYS(U2K)
U30	CLUSTER INST, TACH, CLOCK CLUSTER(U30)
V4X	MODEL CONVERSION GMX295, STS V8 STS V8(V4X)
V73	VEHICLE STATEMENT - US/CANADA US/CANADA VEHICLE STATEMENT(V73)
YQ4	INFOTAINMENT SYSTEM 012 INFOTAINMENT SYSTEM(YQ4)
1SF	PACKAGE OPTION 06 OPTION PACKAGE 06 OPTION PACKAGE 06 (1SF)
PACKAGE OPTION 06 OPTION PACKAGE 06 OPTION PACKAGE 06 SALES PACKAGE(1SF)
1SZ	PACKAGE OPTION- (1SZ)
19I	INTERIOR TRIM COLOR (19I)
INTERIOR TRIM,BLACK (19I)
INTERIOR TRIM,EBONY (19I)
192	TRIM COMBINATION,BLACK LEATHER (192)
53U	EXTERIOR COLOR,PRIMARY (53U)
PRIMARY COLOR EXTERIOR, ANTIQUE BRONZE MET (53U)
PRIMARY COLOR EXTERIOR, LIPARI GREY MET (53U)
6LJ	COMPONENT FRT LH COMPUTER SEL SUSP SUSP(6LJ)
7LJ	COMPONENT FRT RH - COMPUTER SEL SUSP SUSP(7LJ)
8XT	COMPONENT RR LH COMPUTER SEL SUSP (8XT) SUSP(8XT)
9XT	COMPONENT RR RH COMPUTER SEL SUSP (9XT) SUSP(9XT)
AL0	SENSOR INDICATOR INFLATABLE RESTRAINT, FRT PASS/CHILD PRESENCE DETECTOR FRT PASS/CHILD PRESENCE DETECTOR INFL REST IND SENSOR(AL0)
AL2	CONTROL SEAT, POWER LUMBAR SEAT CTL,PWR LUMBAR(AL2)
AP9	NET,CONVENIENCE CONVENIENCE NET(AP9)
AQ9	SEAT,FRONT BUCKET,DRIVER,PASSENGER,RECLINING RECL FRT BKT ST,LUXURY(AQ9)
AT8	RESTRAINT PROVISIONS CHILD, RR SEAT, RR FACING RR SEAT RR FACING CHILD RESTRAINT PROVISIONS(AT8)
AY0	RESTRAINT SYSTEM SEAT, INFLATABLE, DRIVER & PASS, FRT SIDE, ROOF SIDE DRVR & PASS FRT SIDE & ROOF INFLATABLE RESTRAINT(AY0)
A45	MEMORY SEAT ADJUSTER, MIRROR, POWER, DRIVER & ENHANCED MEMORY PERSONALIZATION MEMORY MIR AND ST ADJ(A45)
B0A	VEHICLE GM PROD WEEK 19 GM VEH PROD WEEK 19(B0A)
B20	ORNAMENTATION,INTERIOR(LUXURY) LUXURY INTR(B20)
CE1	WIPER SYSTEM WINDSHIELD, PULSE, MOISTURE SENSITIVE W/S WPR,PULSE MOISTURE SENSITIVE(CE1)
CE4	WASHER,HEADLAMP,HIGH PRESSURE HDLP WA(CE4)
CF5	ROOF,SUN,GLASS SLIDING,ELECTRIC ELEC SUNROOF(GLASS)(CF5)
CJ2	HVAC SYSTEM AIR CONDITIONER FRT, AUTO TEMP CONT, AUX TEMP CONT A/C FRT AUTO/AUX CONT(CJ2)
CTF	SALES PACKAGE INTERIM CONTROL INTERIM SALES PKG(CTF)
DD8	MIRROR,INSIDE,REARVIEW,TILT,AUTOMATIC,LIGHT SENSITIVE I/S RR VIEW MIR,LIGHT SENSITIVE(DD8)
DR2	MIRROR,OUTSIDE,LH & RH, REMOTE CONTROL,ELECTRIC, MANUAL FOLDING HEATED R/CONT HTD O/S MIR(DR2)
FE1	SUSPENSION SYSTEM,SOFT RIDE SOFT RIDE SUSP(FE1)
FE9	FEDERAL EMISSION CERTIFICATION FED EMIS(FE9)
GU2	AXLE,REAR,2.73 RATIO 2.73R(GU2)
G64	SALES PACKAGE PERFORMANCE PERFORMANCE PKG(G64)
IL2	TRIM,INTERIOR DESIGN (IL2)
JE5	BRAKE SYSTEM PWR, ANTILOCK, FRT & RR WHL FRT & RR ANTILOCK BRK(JE5)
JJA	PT DRESS SUBASSEMBLY INSTALLED (MODULAR OPTIMIZATION METHOD ONLY) PLANT OPERATION(JJA)
JJD	I/P SUBASSEMBLY NOT INSTALLED (MODULAR OPTIMIZATION METHOD ONLY) PLANT OPERATION(JJD)
JJL	SUSPENSION FRONT NOT INSTALLED (MODULAR OPTIMIZATION METHOD ONLY) PLANT OPERATION(JJL)
JJM	SUSPENSION REAR NOT INSTALLED (MODULAR OPTIMIZATION METHOD ONLY) PLANT OPERATION(JJM)
KA6	HEATER,RR SEAT REAR SEAT HEATER(KA6)
KB6	HEATER SEAT, COOLING, FRT COOLING FRT ST HTR(KB6)
KG4	GENERATOR 150 AMP 150 AMP GEN(KG4)
LH2	ENGINE GAS, 8 CYL, 4.6L/(281 CID), SFI, V8, DOHC, HO, ALUM, GM 4.6A(LH2)
MX0	TRANSMISSION,AUTOMATIC,OVERDRIVE(MERCHANDISING OPTION) A/TRANS PROVISIONS(MX0)
MYB	TRANSMISSION AUTO 6 SPD, HMD, 6L-50 6-SPD A/TRANS(MYB)
NT7	EMISSION SYSTEM FEDERAL, TIER 2 TIER 2 FED EMIS(NT7)
N31	STEERING WHEEL HEATED HTD STRG WHL(N31)
QF8	WHEEL 18 X 8, ALUMINUM, POLISHED ALUM WHL(QF8)
Q12	TIRE ALL P235/50R18 FRT & P255/45R18 RR TIRE(Q12)
R6F	CONTROL - SALES ITEM NO. 06
R6K	CONTROL - SALES ITEM NO. 11
R6P	CONTROL - SALES ITEM NO. 15
R7N	CONTROL - SALES ITEM NO. 39
R9B	CONTROL - SALES ITEM NO. 77
R9N	CONTROL - SALES ITEM NO. 89
SLM	SALES PROCESSING - STOCK ORDERS
TQ5	CONTROL INTELLIGENT HIGH BEAM INTELLIGENT HIGH BEAM CONTROL(TQ5)
TT6	HEADLAMPS HIGH INTENSITY DISCHARGE HI INTENS DISCHARGE HDLP(TT6)

#32 ·
If it had Nav, I'm confident it would have been listed. Likewise, the Bose 15.1 DTS Surround DVD. Of course, I could be wrong.

Very few of the higher-end models don't have the above. I suppose it could have been a 1SF or 1SG with Nav deleted, but I really doubt it.

Obviously, I don't understand your market. Based on the quick sale, my car might be worth almost what I paid for it 4 years & 40,000 miles ago!

#39 ·
Even though non-Cadillac GM dealers may have access to all the same resources as Cadillac dealers, they don't have the expereince of the best Cadillac dealers. These are complex cars priced below most cars with similar features. A good warranty will usually pay for itself.

Good dealers do stand behind their sales. My wife and I have bought 5 cars from our dealer and all of us have benefited. We also use a couple good independants for minor stuff.

I've bough

#44 ·
I have a 2008 STS with a 3.6 L motor and RWD. with 46 k. I spent a lot of time looking for a great luxury used car.. I have so many times on this car its awesome and its kinda scary as well.. That being said.. I went to sites like Edmund's and Consumers guides to compare the specs and then looked at alot of the reviews... The 2006-10 caddies are great cars and if well taken care of should prove a well made purchase.. like everything everyone has different wants and tastes.. I found it came down to specs, looks, reviews and price.. I dont think you can go wrong with a well equipped CTS or STS side by side to most Asian or European models.

#45 ·
OK I understand the intentions totally. I personally have come from numerous Domestic and imported vehicles and even raced a few on the drag strip. The STS is the forgotten stepchild of the world it seems. Many people seem to think it is a CTS until you correct them firmly.
In July of this year I bought a '06 STS N* with 60k miles on it black/black for 16k (cash), it was like $18500 with tax title and lic. I purchased the car in San Jose and Registered it in Bullhead City AZ.
I did not buy this car at at Caddy dealer.
I had a price range set and wanted a STS, at one point I could have cared less which engine it had. The dealer I bought this car at had horrible reviews. I bought the car sight unseen over the interest and wired the money. I looked for this car for 3 months. I car faxed it and when I got to San Jose before I signed delivery papers I took it to the local Caddy dealer.
I thought I was going to regret it. I am 33. I have never regretted and love this car more than I thought I ever would. I am currently thinking of buying my wife one. She has a E Class and loves my car more.

As for modding wheels and lowering will affect your ride quality and that is up to you.
As for changing the radio.....It's not going to happen unless your prepared to dump some big $$ into it. These cars in the non "V" format are not really mod friendly. With this car and a pick lock the Dobly and DVD/NAV are perfect for me. Sometimes I want just a tad more bass but I am not going to even introduce more electrical draw to the car. Do your homework, go on car gurus.com or something similar and get a nice cross section, eboy motors helped me too. I could only ever find 4 black on blacks for sale in my area at the time and they ranged from '06-'08. I educated myself enough with this model that I did not have to listen to the deal give his talk because I knew more about him. I think if your looking to do multiple mods to the car other than a CAI for example this is not the car for you. The "V" has some suppliers that will reprogram PCM and things but again there is not much you can do and not much out there.

#46 ·
Wysguy. Thanks for the tip. Do you have pics of her?

As for modding wheels and lowering will affect your ride quality and that is up to you.
As for changing the radio.....It's not going to happen unless your prepared to dump some big $$ into it. These cars in the non "V" format are not really mod friendly. With this car and a pick lock the Dobly and DVD/NAV are perfect for me. Sometimes I want just a tad more bass but I am not going to even introduce more electrical draw to the car. Do your homework, go on car gurus.com or something similar and get a nice cross section, eboy motors helped me too. I could only ever find 4 black on blacks for sale in my area at the time and they ranged from '06-'08. I educated myself enough with this model that I did not have to listen to the deal give his talk because I knew more about him. I think if your looking to do multiple mods to the car other than a CAI for example this is not the car for you. The "V" has some suppliers that will reprogram PCM and things but again there is not much you can do and not much out there.
I highlighted your comment about the modding a Non V. What do you mean about that?
This is awesome info about the stereo. Guess I will be looking for one with the Bose system
I do not want to do any engine mods, since I already did that with my IS300. I/H/E and Im tired of the exhaust, (actually my gf is). Even tho I love the sound of it, especially in a tunnel, but dont like how the MPG went down a little :(

I did go to a Caddy stealership last week to find an 08 or older STS. Didnt see one in the lot, but did see the 11 model. Was sharp and priced above what I want to pay. Now I am really picky with the color combo. It has to be either black or grey interior. No silver, black, white or red exterior. The salesman lol and said, thats 80% of caddy's out there. I lol back and said, this is why I am not in a hurry to buy one.

I have the info about what engine and options I am wanting. Now is the time to find her in my driveway hehehe

OFF topic...is there a thread in here that has pics of STS that are modded. I seen the one in the Sticky, but they're all stock looking :(

#54 ·
Looks good nice color. Obviously there's the pinstripe on there. Not everybody is a pinstripe guy. V8 is a good thing. Some will disagree with me but id go 2007+ on the v8 for the 6 SPD's better fuel economy and acceleration. Overall, good looking car though. Also price is a little high I think.

#58 ·
Im no pinstripe guy. The price is high, because the PNW(aka WA state) is over rated in taxes. we pay 10% on title transfers and 9.5% on sales tax(not car related).

Damn, bro, a year later and you're still looking?!? I'd hate to be behind you in the grocery store when they ask "paper or plastic" :)

Go test drive one and see if you like it. Then do a 200 mile search on autotrader with your desired info and go buy one already. You've wasted a whole year NOT driving an STS :nono:
haha. Paper or plastic is an easy decision. I know its been a long time since I have been searching for this model. Im not the type of guy that goes to a dealership and ask him, what car should I get and what can I afford. I go with my head up and tell them what I am looking for, in the color combo that I want. If they dont have it, or try to get me in a new car, or perhaps a different car. I just turn them down and walk to the next dealership. Yes, its a PITA, but I get what I want.

So, here is another tip that you dont know. I am not wanting Silver, Black or White. Which is the only major colors that cadillac seems to offer. This is also another Dilemma I seem to have :(

Bare with me, as I will own one of these soon enough

#55 ·
Damn, bro, a year later and you're still looking?!? I'd hate to be behind you in the grocery store when they ask "paper or plastic" :)

Go test drive one and see if you like it. Then do a 200 mile search on autotrader with your desired info and go buy one already. You've wasted a whole year NOT driving an STS :nono:

#56 · (Edited)
I'm new to Cadillacs as well, having purchased an '05 STS a little over a week ago. But I am not new to used cars, and have owned a bunch over the years. The first thing that I think of when I look at your ad link is the overall condition of the car - appearance, wear and tear, etc (assuming that you like the color). I am very pleased with the N* and think it is worth the small drop in mpg over the v6. The second thing I think of is the maintenance history. I don't balk at cars with some miles on them if they have been well maintained, and a complete set of service records is a must for me in an 8 year old car. In my case, my STS had been dealer serviced with clear records on what had been done from day one. I think this is critical for a car that you have no prior knowledge of. Oil changes on time? Coolant flushed at 5 years? etc. etc - if you don't know you have the potential for spending some big $$ down the road. I would pay more for a vehicle with good service records that is in good shape.
The third thing I would want to do is get a PPI. I am sure this can be done at your Cadillac dealer for $150 or so and may be the best $150 that you have ever spent. I would run from any used car dealer that would balk at letting you do this.
Good luck with your purchase!

#57 ·
When I buy used cars I always budget the asking price +$1,000 and I tell the dealer I will pay his asking price minus $1,500. So if the car is advertised for $15K, I budget $16K and pay the dealer $14,500. No BSing about, take it or leave it. They always take it.
The extra $1K go right away for a set of good new tires, first thing I do after I leave the dealer. The $1.5K I beat the dealer down are budget for the repairs needed to bring the car to as perfect condition as possible in almost all scenarios. There is no such thing as perfect used car, there is always something wrong :) And you can do plenty o' repairing on the STS with $1,500 :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.