Cadillac Owners Forum banner

new and looking into purchasing a cadillac

9K views 62 replies 17 participants last post by  ECha3 
#1 ·
Im not new to the forums. I am 36yrs old and have owned my 01 Lexus IS300 for the past 6yrs. Im getting tired of her and looking to purchase a Cadillac STS standard model, or platinum. Maybe a V series, if the motor is stronger and more reliable. Just not sure about the MPG on the V series, hence why im looking for a V6 ;)

I have been doing some research but havent had any luck. There just doesnt seem to be that much support, nor aftermarket support on them. Im at a stand still and tired of hearing the same old, dont buy Cadillac or American. Yes, I have owned Japanese models pretty much my whole life. I did own one American, a '90 Pontiac Grand Am when I was in High School. That was my first and last American made car, cus the motor knocked and then the tranny went out. I hope the newer models are much more reliable?

If anyone on here can guide me in the right direction, or have knowledge on these cars. Dont hesitate to reply and we can go from there.

Thanks and hope to hear from u

#2 ·
You're probably better off with this question up in the STS forums rather than in the Clubs/Meets area.

STS and STS-V are two very, very different cars, and each model has its own forums and discussions.

#5 ·
Been so busy, havent had time to get back on here.

Im looking for Pros and Cons on the STS?
What added options came with the standard model and what are the differences in standard vs platinum?

Thanks for the support :thumbsup:

Oops, I thought I was in the STS forum. I feel like a noob :canttalk:
I was browsing and didnt look to see what part of the forum I was on. Sorry and thanks for moving it for me$$

I Have both the STS (V6) and the STS-V. Very different indeed. Both get poor gas mileage by today's standards. The V gets horrible mileage in the city and "ok" on the highway (about 22 if you take it easy). But the V is so dang fun.

Don't buy the STS if you're looking for good mileage, but it is a great car.
I was meaning between Standard STS vs V series. Thanks for claifying that. Whats the difference between them?
I own an IS300 that came with a inline-6 2jz motor, which gets around the same gas mileage as the STS v6 motor.

#4 ·
I Have both the STS (V6) and the STS-V. Very different indeed. Both get poor gas mileage by today's standards. The V gets horrible mileage in the city and "ok" on the highway (about 22 if you take it easy). But the V is so dang fun.

Don't buy the STS if you're looking for good mileage, but it is a great car.

#6 ·
Now I see why there is a lack of support on the STS. When newbies come on here, or whether your an STS owners, there is no help for the issues that come up on here.

Can someone show me some links or another Cadillac forum that will direct me to the right place?

#7 ·
is3_ftw said:
Now I see why there is a lack of support on the STS. When newbies come on here, or whether your an STS owners, there is no help for the issues that come up on here.

Can someone show me some links or another Cadillac forum that will direct me to the right place?
I have a 3.6 with tons of miles and so far it has treated me well and I love it but I do take super good care of it...the 3.6 does consume a lot of oil and you have to watch those timing chains. Can't really help you on the northstar or v series.

#8 · (Edited)
This is the only forum I have found that even tries to help out with any issue on the STS.
Most other forums are like you mean CTS right? or DTS? The STS is the often forgotten middle child.
Platinums (from what I've read) have basically every option except the V series brake package.

This is all from the top of my head so don't shoot me if something is inaccurate...
There are a lot of options and trim levels so I will not have them all.

STS
3.6 L V6 2XX HP (not sure of HP) 5spd 5L50E Auto
3.6 L DI V6 302? HP 6spd 6L50E Auto
-or-
4.6 L VVT V8 Northstar 320HP 5L50E Auto, 6L50E Auto 2007+
RWD w/ limited slip or AWD
Passive suspension or Magnetic Ride Control
HUD with Adaptive Cruise Control
Lane Departure Avoidance system / Side Blind Zone Alert

STS-V
4.4 L VVT V8 Northstar Supercharged 469HP
RWD only w/ limited slip
6spd HD transmission
Different suspension setup - (not sure if it was available with passive suspension)
heated washer nozzles
different hood, bumpers, spoiler, wheels, 6 lug rims, brembo brakes, fog lights/turn signals
Platinum level interior
unique wood appointments
08+ HUD was available, lane departure/sbza optional (no Adaptive Cruise?)

The list goes on and on and on... it takes a lot of research to decide what year and model and options you want/need.
I cannot and will not do that for you.

I did own one American, a '90 Pontiac Grand Am when I was in High School. That was my first and last American made car, cus the motor knocked and then the tranny went out. I hope the newer models are much more reliable?
The STS is nothing like a Grand Am in any way, you are comparing pears to grenades here.
As a previous owner of 2 Grand Ams I can say without a doubt that the body style of the '90 Grand Am was never good, even in 1990 the car was junk.
The next body style contained vast improvements ('92-'95) 96-98 was a waste, 99-05 was again vastly improved as well. But even then you are talking about a $20K car compared to an STS that could be 3x the cost new. (Mine was $68,750 MSRP - still have original window sticker) This is like comparing a Camaro to a F1 Series Indy car...

#10 ·
I've gotta pretty basic model STS. Doesnt even have a sun roof. But it's still got more bells n whistles then, say a loaded impala of the same year. Or Honda accord even. I've got the auto wipers, power telescoping tilting wheel that saves to memory. Heated seats. Bose. Back up sensors. Remote start/keyless start. And the list really goes on. I'm more than happy with my car. It is the V6 with 255 hp but that still enough power to have fun in. If I turn off the traction and stability control, it will still burn the tires clear thru a two lane intersection when I stomp hard on the gas.

#11 ·
Thanks and sorry to come off at a negative attitude.

I dont expect anyone to make my decision for me. Im here to make sure the decision that I am making, is my package preference. I didnt find any info about the different packages that the STS comes with. Thanks for the help.
Now for the V, all I have read that it comes with is a corvette motor and electronic suspension or whatever its called.

Is oil consumption similar to the CTS oil consumption? I read that there is no oil light on the CTS to tell you that your low on oil; also, oil being changed at the stealership and after 2k miles, the engine broke. Is this similar to STS motors as well?
Is it better to buy OEM parts or will aftermarket parts work the same? I have always used OEM parts for all my cars.

I really do want to get a Cadillac STS, just need to get more helpful info to lean that way. I dont want to hear from critics that never driven one, but only read it from other critics.
Figured that I could get the help from members that own it and drive it day in and day out.
Again, sorry for coming out rude and thanks for the help so far. Keep them coming

About the GrandAm comment. I was stating that I havent owned an American made car since 1997

#12 ·
The STS V does not come with a corvette engine. It's a 4.4 V8. The CTS V is what has the corvette engine.

----------

I also use to have a Lexus before my Cadillac. 2 as a matter of fact. An ES300 and a GS400. That 400 was a beast. Lol. But, even tho my STS is only a V6 with 45 less hp than my 400 had, I still enjoy my STS MORE than either of my Lexus cars.

Just letting you know I can relate trying to make the switch from a Lexus to a caddy. I'll admit, you won't find a more reliable luxury car than a Lexus, but I love my STS and haven't looked back. My GS even had the navigation, and my STS does not. Yet I'd still take my STS over the Lexus. Even tho it's not QUITE as fast, my STS is much more pleasurable to drive. It's got a TON more personality. It's got American heritage. It's just an all around better experience than my Lexus.

Again, it was nice getting nearly 250k outa the ES and not even having anything break on it until the 235k mark. Seriously, my folks bought it when it only had about 30k on it and at 200k they gave it to me bc they bought a new Avalon limited. And they never once put it in the shop.

But anyway, I got side tracked. Lol. My point is I still like my STS more.

#17 ·
Are STS(V) models come standard, or are they all Auto?
All good info about motors and stuff.
I like the design from 08+ models. 05+ still have a good design and leaning towards them yrs. Unless I can steal an 08 from someone...

Whats the price you guys pay for gas from 1/4 tank to full on what level of gas? I use 92 octane Chevron in my IS.

Just letting you know I can relate trying to make the switch from a Lexus to a caddy. I'll admit, you won't find a more reliable luxury car than a Lexus, but I love my STS and haven't looked back. My GS even had the navigation, and my STS does not. Yet I'd still take my STS over the Lexus. Even tho it's not QUITE as fast, my STS is much more pleasurable to drive. It's got a TON more personality. It's got American heritage. It's just an all around better experience than my Lexus.

Again, it was nice getting nearly 250k outa the ES and not even having anything break on it until the 235k mark.
Likewise. My 01 IS300 has over 230k now without any major issues. I do like the reliability and to step away and go into something that I have no experience with cautions me. Ive always used Full Synthetic oil

Platinum STS has it all EXCEPT ACC, at least prior to 2008. Starting in 2010, RainSense were deleted and V8's became almost rare. Although many of the best options were only available on V8 models in early years, this was relaxed a bit in later years.

Unless mileage is a high priority, I'd look for a 2008 or 2009 loaded 1SG. I love the toys, especially ACC!
What is ACC?

I've gotta pretty basic model STS. Doesnt even have a sun roof. But it's still got more bells n whistles then, say a loaded impala of the same year. Or Honda accord even. I've got the auto wipers, power telescoping tilting wheel that saves to memory. Heated seats. Bose. Back up sensors. Remote start/keyless start. And the list really goes on. I'm more than happy with my car. It is the V6 with 255 hp but that still enough power to have fun in. If I turn off the traction and stability control, it will still burn the tires clear thru a two lane intersection when I stomp hard on the gas.
Does the remote start come standard with the STS or did you buy aftermarket?

G
#13 ·
After five years and 50K miles I still love my STS. Look forward to driving it whenever I can. I have the 2008 3.6DI and it has plenty of power and handles like a dream. Some people only want a V8 but I'm happy with my V6. Get 21 MPG aver all.

#14 ·
Also for the STS V the 4.4L motors were all carefully hand built rather than a typical production line from what I've read. The STS V doesn't have the electronically controlled suspension referred to as magnaride or MRC. A lot of the casual car person hears of the CTS V and assumes all of its features / components are used in the STS V and XLR V, this causes confusion and creates issues. The CTS V is the only V using a Chevy motor, the others are the N*.

Regarding oil usage and oil level light.
The V6 used in the CTS and STS is the same afaik. Therefore they both have oil usage issues and no level light for some or all years and timing chain problems. The slightly better mileage compared to the N* V8 is not worth the hassle that the engine's other downfalls are. The N* takes a beating and keeps on running strong. I've only read of one bad head gasket on here for the 05+ STS and that failure was something that seemed more like a troll post than an actual failure so I call it unconfirmed that anyone has needed HGs for this car. Oil consumption on my STS V8 is nonexistent. I am at about 8k miles on this oil and its level on the dipstick hasn't changed at all. My car has 70k miles on it and is AWD.

There are lots of RPO package codes.
1SG typically is what one would call loaded but there are still lots of options it's missing by default that can be added such as premium Tuscany leather that gives you full leather seats and leather on some surfaces of the door and possibly armrest too. There are also the SBZA and lane departure and ACC and HUD in the drivers awareness package and there is a summer tire option that gives you the 6 lug V setup for wheels and brakes. User 1SGLAC has the option on his car. Try to avoid rental or fleet cars if you don't want the speed limiter to be just over 100mph rather than the typical one around 150mph.

#15 ·
Platinum STS has it all EXCEPT ACC, at least prior to 2008. Starting in 2010, RainSense were deleted and V8's became almost rare. Although many of the best options were only available on V8 models in early years, this was relaxed a bit in later years.

Unless mileage is a high priority, I'd look for a 2008 or 2009 loaded 1SG. I love the toys, especially ACC!

#16 ·
I have a 05 sts with a v8 it is loaded nav,HUD,mrc and such I love the car and when it is all waxed up it looks awesome but personally I would not buy such a big car with a v6(sorry guys) and for the fuel mileage I get I should of looked more for a sts-v, but there hard to find here in Ontario! I chose this car over a 2005 cts-v the ride was much more luxurious, and wasn't feeling the standard transmission in the car I found it felt crowded, but I personally love my car, oil changes are pricey 8L of synthetic motor oil adds up. Just don't jump the river and buy the first one you see and be sure to make sure the car unlocks as you walk up to it and such because they are known for having broken door handles, anyways just look around!

#18 ·
I think Remote Start is standard but I might come with Nav.

ACC is Radar Cruise Control. Not everyone likes it but I doubt I buy another daily driver without it.

I'm not a V expert but I think they all have 6-speed autos.

The tank hold 17.5 gallons.

#25 ·
You can pair 4 key fobs to the car. Only those that are matched as 1 or 2 can have personalized settings. Each driver must enable the remote start feature in their profile. They also can set if they want cabin temp controlled and seat temp and rear defrost / heated mirrors activated. Cabin temp when enabled always works, the others are based on exterior temp and coolant temp to determine what needs to be turned on. If its hot enough outside the seat ventilation turns on if cold enough the heated seat is on.

#28 ·
I found a car that looks like it has everything but the kitchen sink. I like the color combo cus of the black interior and its not silver, black or white exterior.
Let me know what you think about the car; miles and cost. Just remember that this is WA with 1 of the highest tax states. Based on that, the price might be higher than your state.
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...26&searchRadius=200&listingId=327900661&Log=0

Thats awesome. On my car, I have a clifford alarm that has remote start. I have to program everything by hand before I get out of the car. Cus mine isnt electrical, but manual :(

#26 ·
Ludacrisvp said:
You can pair 4 key fobs to the car. Only those that are matched as 1 or 2 can have personalized settings. Each driver must enable the remote start feature in their profile. They also can set if they want cabin temp controlled and seat temp and rear defrost / heated mirrors activated. Cabin temp when enabled always works, the others are based on exterior temp and coolant temp to determine what needs to be turned on. If its hot enough outside the seat ventilation turns on if cold enough the heated seat is on.
And to add to this so you don't get even more confused after you buy one, on the back of each fob is a number. Those numbers mean nothing when it comes to programming them. It's simply a way to identify between your wifes and your remote for example.

#29 ·
I think all but the base models get the heated seats. Vented are included on 1SG (incl Platinum) & optional on 1SC (V6) & 1SF (V8).

----------

Seems a bit high for a base V8 with 75,000 miles. Any warranty?

I didn't see Navigation so no Bluetooth, either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.