Be Careful !!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Be Careful !! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; A WORD OF WARNING . I DID NOT REALIZE HOW FAR FORWARD AND LOW THE FRONT " BUMPER " WAS ...
    viking is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Be Careful !!

A WORD OF WARNING . I DID NOT REALIZE HOW FAR FORWARD AND LOW THE FRONT " BUMPER " WAS ON MY STS UNTIL I PARKED IN ONE OF THOSE SPOTS THAT HAVE A CURB IN FRONT .
    LUCKILY THE CURB WAS QUITE LOW AND IT DID NOT HIT , BUT WHEN I GOT OUT AND LOOKED , ANOTHER 1/4 INCH AND I WOULD HAVE HAD A MAJOR REPAIR BILL .
    FROM NOW ON I WILL BACK INTO ANY SPACES WITH A CURB .

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

don_mccarter is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8

Re: Be Careful !!

I found that out when I heard a scraping noise.
    That's also when I discovered the lower 2 inches
    of the front is rubber. A little noise, no damage.

Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED

Backing in is dangerous also!! Best advice? When in doubt ... STOP ! The car is short, you will not stick out.

Blue Chip is offline Cadillac Owners Member

The front "gives." It would be a lot worse if you backed in and ripped off the tailpipes!

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Just always stop way short. There is no law that says you have to beach the car onto the curb stone until the wheels touch. If you own a Corvette you quickly learn to say "watch the nose!!!" when someone else drives it and puts it in a parking spot. People driving onto curb stones is a pet peeve of mine. Just no reason for it.

Stop short if you back in also. I have seen several cars with severely damaged exhaust systems when the exhaust tips hang on a high curb or parking stone and ram the exhaust forward bending it out of shape. Just as bad as tearing up the nose.

Interestingly....backing into parking spots is considered by most pro driving schools to be safer than driving in. There are two advantages....one, when you enter the parking spot you are backing into a "protected" zone that you can check out ahead of time so you know it has no obstructions and no approaching traffic. Two, when pulling out you can see much better for watching cross traffic and you can exit the area much quicker which exposes you to risk when exiting the spot for less time. They always teach you that many many accidents happen when backing up and that all the backing accidents can always be avoided....by just not backing up. Whether it is entering a spot or exiting it....avoid backing by parking away from the crowd and always pull thru the spot and then drive out. This won't work on angle spots but is worth remembering in larger lots with plenty of drive-thru parking spots.

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I've lost the occasional mud flap on my other car from backing too close to a curb, or those cement stopers.

2 years ago with my Grand Marquis I parked next to a cement divider and when I left I forgot about it and turned right away and drove off and BAM! I got hung up so decided to just gun it to get off that hump! Than goodness the Merc was high up, and I thought for sure I lost my muffler, etc! With my Caddy being so low it would have been in the shop, no doubt.

I've always liked to "back-in" to parking spots because it just seems more logical for exit, unless there is someone I'm holding up and I don't want to inconvience them, I just nose it in.

We had a huge discussion about backing in or nosing in on one of my old threads LOL! More like an arguement.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.