First Crash - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, First Crash in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The results from this accident are typical of a collision between an SUV and a passenger car. As other members ...
    Vrocks is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Exclamation Re: First Crash

The results from this accident are typical of a collision between an SUV and a passenger car. As other members have already stated, the truck hit the STS above its bumper, thus negating an area of fortification and causing a lot of "visible" deformation. In my personal experience, the car that does the rear ending ends up with far more visible damage, especially when it's between two dissimilar vehicles. In this case, the upper frontal area of an STS was destroyed by the rear end of an unknown truck.

The good news is, no one was injured in this minor accident, and there was only sheet metal, plastic and minor electronics damage. Also, for the doubters in terms of the STS's structural integrity; The NHSTA website for crash test ratings has no information on the '05 STS, and based upon the performance other Sigma vehicles, the results should be excellent.

Check this site for government crash test information:
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testing/ncap/

The CTS, which is based upon the Sigma platform, received the following ratings (the '05 STS is not listed);

Frontal Star Rating: Driver ****(4) , Passenger ****(4)
    Side Star Rating: Driver ****(4), Passenger *****(5)
    Rollover Rating: 2WD ****(4)

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Re: First Crash

Yeah, the vehicle doing the rear ending almost always gets the worst end of the deal due to the fact that the rear ending car is almost always hard on the brakes causing the front end to be low thus underriding the target vehicle bumper. The target car bumper then goes into the grill area that has little structure. A grill/radiator against the other cars rear bumper does little or no damage.

majax is offline 32V Northstar

www.highwaysafety.org

I don't think Bbob said this, and he is right about everything he said here, but if you crash a truck into something the force will go into that object and destroy the object. If a greater force speed/weight/etc hits your truck your truck will crush and take the most damage of the accident. So you say you have caused 4-5 accidents in your truck well you are the impacting force so your vehicle will not obtain the most damage the other vehicle will. I just cannot concieve ever getting on top of the hood of the car.

Anyone who thinks that all they need is a solid steel cage around them for safety is ignorant of the existance of forces, physics. You do need a steel cage for your main cockpit cage so you do not get touched by the other car but the crumple zones in the hood and all are still important.

jworkmans is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I think the entire concept of crush zones is absolutely correct and the folks that have the biggest problem with them aren't viewing the reason for the "crushable" area with the appropriate viewpoint.

In 1992 I had a very serious accident with another car that ran a red light at 50 MPH. T-boned my new Taurus SHO. The SHO was a total write off - with less than 7k miles on the ODO. The other car was even worse - but it was a cheap Korean knockoff and had almost zero crumple zones. The driver of the Chevy/Geo ended up with the engine in her lap, both legs broken in 2 dozen places, required two artificial knees, had to be cut out of the car and life-flight transported to Tampa General. She spent almost two years in the hospital and rehab.

While my $27k Taurus was totalled, I got a bump on the head (airbags worked like a charm) and re-injured an old Army injury. If I hadn't already had the Army injury I might have walked away - and I mean literally walked away.

The expenses aren't in the cost of the car - that's chump change - even a $60k+ STS. The big money is the $multi-hundred-thousand$ that will be spent on folks like the Chevy/Geo driver. She got a cruddy car that saved her in payments but cost her in pain.

I'm happy to pay the insurance costs to stay out of the hospital. I think the STS will do an admirable job in that respect. With so many safety features, I feel way more comfortable in the Caddy than I ever did in my Navigators.

I love the intelligent, erudite and thought-provoking discussion on this board. Y'all keep it up!!!!!

Regards,

John

P.S. - Just a little aside: The lady who hit me was a 62 year-old nun with the Archdiocese of St. Petersburg, Florida. Talk about having the Church deliver a message!

majax is offline 32V Northstar

What was the Nun thinking gosh.

I hope the women with the Geo is doing good and glad you did well.

My mom told me today that she had ran into the STS the other day with the DeVille, touched the bumpers. No Damage! she could not se the windows were foggy.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V

Crumple zones or no crumple zones, I feel safest in my big lumbering vehicles or my SUV's . My mom's 2000 Hyundai Elantra is actually a remarkably resilient and reliable vehicle, but I wouldnt give it a CHANCE against my 740.

Dressel is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Just returned from a trip and have not had a chance to see the replies and conversation my little crash stirred up. Glad to see the info on crash specs etc. The bumper was not touched at all and that is what is supposed to happed on a hit like mine above the bumper. The total on the car was $14,500. I am taking possession of the car next Tuesday and the Cadillac dealership assured me all will be fine as there was no structural damage.

The interesting thing is my insurance company took the adaptive cruise device from the dealership where it is being repaired. I would assume they would like it moved from the grill, as that little device was $2,800 and sits very vulnerable for a light hit from anything.

I cannot wait to get it back as it possibly is
    the best car I have ever driven or ridden in. Have a great holiday all and stay clear of shopping malls with your new cars.

chuckles_100 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hi
    Without sounding like a moron I was wondering if someone could tell me what a "adaptive cruise" is? Like I've said before I'm new to caddy's. Love the experience of driving one and also love what I have learned on here :drinker
    Thanks
    Dave

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Quote Originally Posted by chuckles_100
    Hi
    Without sounding like a moron I was wondering if someone could tell me what a "adaptive cruise" is? Like I've said before I'm new to caddy's. Love the experience of driving one and also love what I have learned on here :drinker
    Thanks
    Dave

It is a "radar cruise" system that takes into account the traffic in front of you and adjusts the cruise control accordingly. Such as, you are cruising in the left lane and a car pulls into the lane ahead of you going several miles per hour slower. Your cruise system will slow to match the car in front of you until it returns to the right lane and then it will resume the set speed you picked. Similarily...you are cruising along and come up on slower traffic. The cruise will slow and match the speed of the cars you are following. It adapts to the flow of traffic aroung you automatically.

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

Well, after reading Bbob's post about the crumple zones... I will say, I am much more educated about them now...

But I still 100% stand by my previous comments about them... I don't like them, I don't believe in them and I don't like the way new cars are being made....

So in that, I always have my old cars... and lots to pick from

How often are you in your brand-new car doing exactly 40mph, hitting a medium-sized fixed barreair, inside a lab, no gas/brake input at all... and hit completly head-on?..... I would agree and say not very often.... and, I bet they can have the same car in the same test, repeat it 10 times, and come up with 10 different results too....

give me a full frame, and some thick sheet metal... and I'll be happy

Dressel is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Picked up my car today, dealership did a great job and all works as it should. Paint is even correct, probably better than the original as there are swirls.

Rauf is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE

Quote Originally Posted by Dressel
    Picked up my car today, dealership did a great job and all works as it should. Paint is even correct, probably better than the original as there are swirls.
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.