Engine "skips" during acceleration
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Engine "skips" during acceleration in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The other day I noticed something off with the car and am not sure of the cause. Background: 2009, 11k ...
    burkewm is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS

Engine "skips" during acceleration

The other day I noticed something off with the car and am not sure of the cause. Background: 2009, 11k miles, new ZR rated tires, had the car ~3 weeks. When cruising along at a fixed speed (happened at 40, 50 and 60 mph on different occasions) I will try to accelerate slowly, and the car feels like it is skipping, gets stuck and wont accelerate. The RPMs don't change, and it only happens if I try to slowly accelerate... if I stomp on it, it will increase speed normally. At first I wondered if it was the tires, but it just doesn't feel like the tires are the reason... and I don't think they would keep the car from accelerating if I was pushing the pedal down. I've read all about the timing chains being an issue with my car (the 3.6L), and I'm worried that this might be a cause. Anyone else ever had an issue like this? Any ideas as to what it may be? I am going to take it into the dealer, but would like to have an idea of what might be wrong before I bring it in. Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DarkMingBlueSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS 6 CYL
    Mine does that too like when I'm trying to keep it at the current speed I'm running at(30-50mph) and when slowly accelerating but when I accelerate quicker it doesn't do it....some ppl on here have described it as a torque converter "shutter" or "chuggle" but idk if that's what it is

Re: Engine "skips" during acceleration

That sounds like what might be the cause, you haven't taken it in or anything? Just don't want it to be something more serious and since I have a long warranty on the car (until late 2014 or 100k miles, 2014 sure to come first) I was thinking about getting it looked at.

DarkMingBlueSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS 6 CYL
    No I haven't yet...lucky you on the warranty

MacMuse is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS N* 1SE
    Vacuum issue is a possibility. Lots of tubes and hoses on these engines and one or two not working properly caused a similar sensation with mine last year.

Mrsanders3960 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS

My 08 STS did this, Before taking to the dealership I ran the current tank of fuel empty then dropped a tank full of 93 (no messages about premium being worthless please) from a brand name gas station, then a bottle of RXP carbon cleaner(http://www.rxp.com/) and the problem went away. A tank of gas and bottle of RXP is much cheaper than the dealer, and even if it doesn't work you were gonna need the fuel anyway.
    burkewm and burkewm like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrsanders3960 View Post
    My 08 STS did this, Before taking to the dealership I ran the current tank of fuel empty then dropped a tank full of 93 (no messages about premium being worthless please) from a brand name gas station, then a bottle of RXP carbon cleaner(http://www.rxp.com/) and the problem went away. A tank of gas and bottle of RXP is much cheaper than the dealer, and even if it doesn't work you were gonna need the fuel anyway.
    Thanks I'll give this a shot. Been fueling up at Sam's Club (cheaper, but not top tier). Guess I will start filling up with top tier and clean it on out. I do have whatever the issue is covered under warranty, but I might as well try this... at less than 1/8 tank right now anyways.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

To sort of parallel Mrsanders3960, try a fill-up with Shell, Chevron, EXXON, Texaco, Philips 66 premium gasoline and a 20 oz. jug of Chevron TECHRON.

Google "top tier gasoline" and "chevron techron" to find out why.

Yeah I checked out the top tier website a couple days ago. Techron has great reviews on Amazon too, will have to give it a go on my fill-up tomorrow and see what kind of results I get.

I always hear about higher octane fuels being waste of money, however in my past i have had 2 cars ruined by cheap gas and ethanol. Since I have changed my fueling habits I have not had these troubles, and with the higher octane (93) I average 22MPG City and about 24 HWY in my 3.6 STS. (Now if go have a little fun all that goes out the window.)

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

I get that with Top Tier regular gas and a bottle of Techron every oil change. Where do you find gas without ethanol?

I travel thru Oklahoma a lot and there are stations there without Ethanol. Its pretty difficult these days, especially in modern cities. Most Cities that are considered smog offenders by the gov require ethanol in fuel. Problem I have is that I had to pay the bill to repair damage done by the so called 10% ethanol.

dannyquest is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 STS 95,000 miles

Sound like a torque converter is going bad. Same thing my 06 STS was doing. It was out of warrenty. So the first line of attack the dealer want to do is down a program which only changes when torque converter locked up. At higher speed, 45- 50 mph. Some time you won't notice the chuggle. But that does't fix the problem. It will show up when the car is out of warrenty. I was lucky Cadillac split the cost with me. Danny

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

haha not one of those gas stations is within a hundred miles of me, hopefully the list keeps growing.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.