Engine "skips" during acceleration - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Engine "skips" during acceleration in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Apparently the Amcon station across town is ethanol free, maybe I'll start filling up there....
    curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 125k
    Apparently the Amcon station across town is ethanol free, maybe I'll start filling up there.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

canam0530 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts 4

Re: Engine "skips" during acceleration

I have a 2009 cadillac cts4 3.6 direct injected car. the car shudders and hesitates when driving down the road and from accelerating. I have had the car to the cadillac dealer 6 times. the first two times they did a carbon clean out. after the carbon clean out they replaced some spark plugs. when i got the car back the third time it was still doing the same thing, since then i have had the spark plugs changed again, the injectors replaced the fuel rail system replaced the cadilatic converter replaced and coil pack replaced. the car is still doing the same thing not to menetion my gas mileage is horrible. im fed up with this car, any ideas or suggestions please

CadiTamer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 3.6 RWD

That's what my car did when the torque converter began failing. Ended up swapping the entire transmission because the fluid had never been changed in the 126K miles on the car. Problem went away.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

I understand your frustration due to your current situation, canam0530 and apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. Please feel free to send us a private message that includes your full contact information, VIN, current mileage and dealership name and location so we can further discuss your situation. We are more than happy to contact your dealership on your behalf to discuss the outcome and document your concern and comments within our system which can be accessed by multiple departments at General Motors.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

EChas3 is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Have you checked your oil level? If that is right, I'd be surprised if it isn't a coil.

malatu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 3.6 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Mrsanders3960 View Post
    I always hear about higher octane fuels being waste of money, however in my past i have had 2 cars ruined by cheap gas and ethanol. Since I have changed my fueling habits I have not had these troubles, and with the higher octane (93) I average 22MPG City and about 24 HWY in my 3.6 STS. (Now if go have a little fun all that goes out the window.)
    Do a little reading on what a higher octane fuel is, why it exists and what role it plays in an certain engines (high compression). If you bring yourself to an understanding those concepts, you will be able to make an informed decision as to why you should or should not use higher octane fuel in any particular engine.

Most often in life, the more more expensive something is, the higher the quality. This is not the case with higher octane fuel! Higher octane fuel is not better fuel, it's just a different kind of fuel. There are lot's of posts here explaining such. Check em' out.

Daves_05_STS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 STS 3.6L

With regard to OP:

Same issue w/my 05 3.6 RWD. I'll get a check engine flash [always goes away after 30 or so seconds] but, 2x she threw a P0305.

I like to think this is not the Torque Converter issue.

I only buy gas at Shell. Did the Chevron Techron thing.
    Coil pack on the way along w/OEM .43 gap plugs.

My question: Can I get to coil pack 5 without having to do the entire 'tear down'? I'd rather just do the coil pack now, all plugs when it gets warmer. My idle is fine btwn 620-630 and as long as i bby the throttle all rides nice.

Thanks & BTW the above woes all started after I replaced the paper air filter with a K&N. I was not pleased with the filter fit [flimsy silicon frame vs. rigid plastic]
    I took the entire air box out and made sure the filter was seated properly.

Neutrocuted is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 N* 1SF HUD ACC F55 - 2008 CTS 3.6DI Premium

I have the same thing going on, no codes, and I use premium from Sam's. I also notice occasional mild engine stumbles while idling in gear at a stop light. Guess it's time for some top tier and some cleaner!

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

Why would you use "premium" in a 3.6 ?

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

Post #22 'Daves...' Since your problem can be related to installing the K&N:

While not rampant (I've used K&N and have never had a problem), but if the filter is over-oiled and through induction some of that oil leaves the filter and gets onto the MAF sensor, you may experience some drive-ability problems. They make a MAF sensor cleaner that you may want to try (making sure the filter isn't yielding any oil in use).

EChas3 is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

The OEM filter flows better and protects your engine better and cheaper than K & N.

malatu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 3.6 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by KRSTS View Post
    Why would you use "premium" in a 3.6 ?
    It costs more so it should be better for my car, right?
    Guy.Seminerio likes this.

STS 2005 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

For the 6 cylinder you can get to number five easily by just pulling the top shroud, couple bolts to take off under that but easy. I did the coil pack and plug when i was getting the code and dash light flashing under accelerating hard. It helped for a while but the problem came back..

Number five is rear by the passenger side

Daves_05_STS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 STS 3.6L

THX STS 2005. I removed the top shroud/cover just earlier. Aside from one harness, CYL5 on the 3.6L is practically looking at you.

....also thinking about ditching the K&N air filter.

Coil replaced: 10 mins and a 10MM socket = NO MORE FLASHING CEL AT HARD/GRADUAL ACCELERATION!!
    I left the K&N air filter installed as that would have been a poor troubleshooting technique.
    ...now if i could only get my gas mileage back up to 19.9MPG [from this pathetic 19.1]

Cheers

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.