Installed Factory STS Spoiler on my 08 AWD 1SG
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Installed Factory STS Spoiler on my 08 AWD 1SG in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Since the 2008 AWD 1SG gets a spoiler delete credit because it is AWD. Well I picked up an unpainted ...
    Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

Installed Factory STS Spoiler on my 08 AWD 1SG

Since the 2008 AWD 1SG gets a spoiler delete credit because it is AWD.
    Well I picked up an unpainted unprepped spoiler from the guy on ebay that has them for $73 shipped.
    He does or did have some already painted with some factory paint colors, however my color wasn't available.
    I got it prepped and painted for $130. I installed it last night.
    It was a bit nerve wracking to see the bits of aluminum shavings flying around as I drilled into the lid.

I will have to get some good sunlight pictures to show the color match but they look to match quite well under garage lights.

Drilled out

Installed

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

malatu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 3.6 AWD

Re: Installed Factory STS Spoiler on my 08 AWD 1SG

Very nice... well done... though it would be better if it were red!

... just kidding, seriously, looks good!

Quote Originally Posted by malatu View Post
    Very nice... well done... though it would be better if it were red!

... just kidding, seriously, looks good!
    Thanks, I did actually consider getting a red STS before picking this one up. I got this for 1k more than the red one and this one has 27,000 less miles on it and has the same option list and was in better mechanical and cosmetic condition.

malatu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 3.6 AWD

Sounded like a "no brainer".

Quote Originally Posted by malatu View Post
    Sounded like a "no brainer".
    Yeah basically. I did have to drive 3 hour round trip to test drive it. Dealer had to do some repairs to it before I would take delivery so they fixed it and drove it out to my house when it was done a couple days later and it even had a full tank.

DarkMingBlueSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS 6 CYL
    Looks great Luda...what's the total depth measurement? I have some dents in my trunk lid(women not closing a trunk correctly) and a spoiler would probably conceal those perfectly

kellycaughron is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 1SC STS VANILLA LATTE

Looks great! Can't imagine the stones it took to drill that first hole. Again fantastic work.

Quote Originally Posted by kellycaughron View Post
    Looks great! Can't imagine the stones it took to drill that first hole. Again fantastic work.
    Thanks.
    It was a bit of pressure. Just thought of it like a bandaid and did it quick. Well not exactly quick but I just started drilling with a slow bit speed. I marked it out on tape and just went at it.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMingBlueSTS View Post
    Looks great Luda...what's the total depth measurement? I have some dents in my trunk lid(women not closing a trunk correctly) and a spoiler would probably conceal those perfectly
    Lol, damned women.
    Deep x tall x wide in inches.
    6.5 x 1.75 x ~50 (about 1/4 inch gap on each side of spoiler to edge of lid)
    I think I mounted mine about as close to the edge of the lid as possible as I didn't line up as well with the holes under the lid as well as I would have liked and had to do some work to them to get the washers and fasteners and socket in there to affix it properly to the lid. But either way it's on straight and aligned in the middle so I'm good with it and I thought it would look best as close to flush with the back of the lid as possible.

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

I think it looks really good. I've been wanting to add one to my car. I'm quite concerned that if the holes aren't properly primed and painted that rust will start and I'll hate myself later for doing it. I may have a body shop do this for me and completely refinish the trunk lid.

The lid is aluminum so the typical rust issue is a non issue. But I did seal around each bold to keep water away from the bare aluminum.

DarkMingBlueSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS 6 CYL
    Thanks Luda

BarrySTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS NS

Great job! I installed the same spoiler a couple of months ago. Took me almost six months to get the stones to drill the holes.

After the holes were drilled, before installing the spoiler, I used an artists brush and primed the bare aluminum, figured it couldn't hurt. Then used lots of sealer around the studs.
    Barry

paden is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS

I am glad you posted this. The spoiler on my red 06 is getting lose, and seems glued on, rather than bolted. It wiggles quite a bit on the passenger side, and there is a rubber insert coming out on the drivers side. I wonder if, since I purchased it used, the dealer didn't glue it on to enhance the look for resale.

You have raised my concern/curiosity to a new level.

On another note. An uninsured motorist backed into me, damaged my rear bumper and tail light. It is currently in the body shop getting the bumper repaired. I will ask them their opinion on the spoiler.

I am ready to have her back, a 2012 Camry rental does not come close to my 06 STS. Makes me appreciate it even more.

eatyoursandwich is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS N*

Quote Originally Posted by paden View Post
    I am glad you posted this. The spoiler on my red 06 is getting lose, and seems glued on, rather than bolted. It wiggles quite a bit on the passenger side, and there is a rubber insert coming out on the drivers side. I wonder if, since I purchased it used, the dealer didn't glue it on to enhance the look for resale.

You have raised my concern/curiosity to a new level.

On another note. An uninsured motorist backed into me, damaged my rear bumper and tail light. It is currently in the body shop getting the bumper repaired. I will ask them their opinion on the spoiler.

I am ready to have her back, a 2012 Camry rental does not come close to my 06 STS. Makes me appreciate it even more.
    Depends on your insurance.

Unfortunately, quite a few people tried to take the easy way out and use emblem adhesive or double sided tape for the spoiler. Common sense would say to drill holes which is more than likely what the body shop is going to recommend. Whether your insurance will make you pay a % of the extra cost is unfortunately, up to them.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Check the tag of the spare tire cover for T43, it's the non-V rear spoiler. If you see the code, it was installed in the factory. That wouldn't matter for insurance purposes.

Could the collision have loosened it? If I got any push-back, I'd call my agent. I'ver been with him a long time.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.