07 sts northstar shutting off while driving
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By RippyPartsDept
  • 2 Post By Ludacrisvp
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 07 sts northstar shutting off while driving in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey guys something strange happened today, I was driving to wal-mart when all of a sudden the car Just shuts ...
    STS-4000 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-4 1SG, ACC, HUD, F55/FE3

07 sts northstar shutting off while driving

Hey guys something strange happened today, I was driving to wal-mart when all of a sudden the car Just shuts off, the nav screen, thedash lights, engine, everything Just shut off. I pulled over to the side of the road and noticed that the speedometer gauge was still reading 40 miles per hour (Strange huh?) I tried to start it back up but it had no power. I opened the hood to see if the cables to the battery were on tight and they were on there as tight as possible. I walked back to the drivers side of the car and noticed all the power is back on, I started the car back up and made my way to wal-mart.

So now I'm getting ready to leave wal-mart's parking lot, the car starts up just fine and then the second I put the car in drive it just shuts off again, once again I opened the Hood to check the battery again and all the power turns back on. So I drove back home and pulled the cables off the battery and then put them back on. I haven't driven it since I put the cables back on. But my question is has anyone had this problem before?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

eatyoursandwich is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS N*

Re: 07 sts northstar shutting off while driving

Sounds like a bad ground wire...I hope.

I have the same engine so for both our sake's I hope it's that simple.

If you have an ohm meter or voltage meter, test your circuits, power to/from battery, alternator, etc. Maybe a raccoon gnawed on a wire you can't see?

You're getting no CEL's or anything??

I'm not getting a check engine light. I've also noticed that whenever I run over a harsh bump in the road that my nav screen turns off and then turns back on. now that i think about, there is a possibility that I could've done something wrong. Okay, just last Tuesday I went to replace my little peanut lights I'm the bottom corner of the headlight assembly, I decided to replace it from working underneath the hood which required me to remove the fuse box. I removed the cables from the battery before removing the fuse box so I wouldn't get electrocuted or mess up something. So I got the bulb in and then I've come to realize that the led bulb was in kinda crooked, so I removed the fuse box again but only this time I forgot to unplug the battery. As I was removing the fuse box the black thick wire located at the top right side of the fuse box slipped out of my hand and touched the body of the car and made a huge spark which was was a quick reminder that I forgot to unplug the battery. My question is could that wire that touched the body of the car caused short somewhere? If So, where does that wire lead to?

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Quote Originally Posted by STS-4000 View Post
    I'm not getting a check engine light. I've also noticed that whenever I run over a harsh bump in the road that my nav screen turns off and then turns back on. now that i think about, there is a possibility that I could've done something wrong. Okay, just last Tuesday I went to replace my little peanut lights I'm the bottom corner of the headlight assembly, I decided to replace it from working underneath the hood which required me to remove the fuse box. I removed the cables from the battery before removing the fuse box so I wouldn't get electrocuted or mess up something. So I got the bulb in and then I've come to realize that the led bulb was in kinda crooked, so I removed the fuse box again but only this time I forgot to unplug the battery. As I was removing the fuse box the black thick wire located at the top right side of the fuse box slipped out of my hand and touched the body of the car and made a huge spark which was was a quick reminder that I forgot to unplug the battery. My question is could that wire that touched the body of the car caused short somewhere? If So, where does that wire lead to?
    check that stuff first
    make sure the battery cables are tight on the battery and that the fuse box is connected back up right (especially underneath)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

I really appreciate the help so far guys, and yeah I'll be sure to check the battery and fuse box first thing in morning. I'll let you guys know what I find out.

thanks rippy. the black wire going from the fuse box To the battery was really loose so I grabbed a 13 millimeter socket and tighten that sum b!tch up, So far I haven't had any problems.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

cool
    glad it was something easy
    STS-4000 and STS-4000 like this.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

Sounds like you got lucky and dodged a bullet there.
    STS-4000 and STS-4000 like this.

Yes I do consider myself lucky. I just thank God that it wasn't something major.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.