2006 STS "Fob not detected"
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By dkozloski
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 2006 STS "Fob not detected" in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Do anyone have experience with Fob not detected issues. I got locked out of my STS twice while on vacation ...
    B_n_Cat_or_Vett is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS

2006 STS "Fob not detected"

Do anyone have experience with Fob not detected issues. I got locked out of my STS twice while on vacation out of town. All batteries check good, and the car is under warranty until the end of next month. The car dealership checked out the car, and could not find anything wrong. They can't replace anything until the system dies and points to the problem. What kind of service is that? Can anyone help or have experience with Fob not detected issues? I've had this car for over five years and this is the first time I can't trust leaving town in the STS.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

Re: 2006 STS "Fob not detected"

I had a FOB not detected (in a downtown Atlanta parking garage); I had to open the car with the key and put the FOB in the special slot in the console. After getting out of that garage; no further problems. You could have a faulty door antenna or could be getting electrical interference (as I was) if this happens in the same place.

dannyquest is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 STS 99,000 miles

Sound like a door micro switch is starting to go bad. It may take a while for it to die. Then your warrenty will be gone. Let your Cadillac dealer know this is a common problem. Maybe they will replace it. I had some service picked up by Cadillac after my warrenty has expired. Good luck. Danny

Midnight is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS 1SG

Try switching any cell phone to airplane mode next time it happens, just to rule out interference.

MacMuse is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS N* 1SE
    Yeah the phone mention is worth a shot. We covered this a month or so ago and I realized a cell/smartphone in the same pocket/purse as the fob will interfere with the car's ability to see the fob as expected.

Just something to verify...

LiquidTrader is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    I know exactly how that goes. Happened to me moving across the country. Had to call a locksmith to open it as my key was in the moving truck.

The problem was my Bluetooth on my iPhone was on and causing interference. Turned that off and haven't had a problem since.

B_n_Cat_or_Vett is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS

This forum is great, so thanks for the feedback it's just what I needed. My dealership called me to let me know that they decideded to replace the door antenna/receiver. I feel like maybe I will be able to trust my STS again We now know some things to try if this happens again.

1harleyman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '98 sts / '06 sts

what special slot in console, I just bought an'06 with out a manual and don't know anything about a special slot

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 135k
    Maybe he's referring to that small storage compartment under the climate control...
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

In the console between the seats there is a small pocket built into the bottom where you can place the fob and start the car even though the battery may be very weak or dead.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

eatyoursandwich is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS N*

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski View Post
    In the console between the seats there is a small pocket built into the bottom where you can place the fob and start the car even though the battery may be very weak or dead.
    Haha, I've always wondered what that was for. I just put quarters in it.

1harleyman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '98 sts / '06 sts

Thank you , even the dealer said I would be dead in the water, shows what they know.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Glad to hear you're getting treated right. I've had good experience in getting intermittant issues resolved even after the warranty expires, as long as the issue appears on a work order while under warranty.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.