check engine light (ON) 06 STS - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, check engine light (ON) 06 STS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept 'flush the crankcase' ?? i'm not really familiar with that anytime anyone says the word 'flush' ...
    Lifer is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS 1SG, 2001 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Re: check engine light (ON) 06 STS

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    'flush the crankcase' ??

i'm not really familiar with that

anytime anyone says the word 'flush' i get hyper skeptical

the misfire is due to a coil issue and will not go away until that is dealt with
    Hey Chis, cool avatar (picture).

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

.... that is unless the coil and plug were never bad to begin with

but that terminology doesn't sound right
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Quote Originally Posted by Lifer View Post
    Hey Chis, cool avatar (picture).
    thanks, i had been using the other one for a couple years now and just changed that one a month or two ago
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Mullah88 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 3.6L (BLU); 1998 Seville STS (Delilah)

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    'flush the crankcase' ??

i'm not really familiar with that

anytime anyone says the word 'flush' i get hyper skeptical

the misfire is due to a coil issue and will not go away until that is dealt with
    as a precaution i might as well change the ignition coil and see what happens

edit: sorry about the "term" but it had something to do with the crankcase. and you are right, it had nothing to do with the ignition coil in the first place. i learnt that firestone is not a reliable place to go to

the lights came on again today...blinked about 5 times and went off. ill change the coils and spark plugs like recommended

matts05sts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 sts v6

My light came on yesterday and blinked for a few seconds then went to steady. It didnt throw any codes though. I do have P0430 right now with a bad catalytic converter so the light has been on for a week now. It seems like the engine is louder though and missing power at hard acceleration. normal driving is fine and MPG is unaffected. I just joined this forum today to find a fix.

exactly what I am experiencing, car is back in the shop right now. the lights came back on again and stayed on

truckinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS 3.6
    My 05 3.6 STS just started same thing only my light flashes bout 5 times during hard acceleration but good rest of time. Gonna try and tackle this job myself once I find out what spark plug(s) are needed. But since my light doesn't stay on, I'm afraid they won't be able to figure out exactly what's wrong using their diagnostic equipment. Least not until it's staying on steady. But I'm sure coil pack will prob need replaced. Idk how hard these engines are to work on but I'll find out. Lol

Just outa curiosity, what did your mechanic charge to do the work with parts for ur coil pack and plugs?

was under warranty

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    Flashing typically means misfire. If you are seeing it under hard acceleration I would bet that one or both of your cats are partially blocked / clogged up.

mine got cleaned/flushed, the lights went off but came back on 5 days after

fredolan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS4

POWERWASHED THE MOTOR WHILE IT WAS RUNNING ON SATURDAY. Started chugging. Engine light came on immediately. I have v-8 2005 sts. 205,000 miles on it.
    Took to dealer today. code came up for misfiring number 8 cylinder only. Recommending new coil for low price of 600.00 parts & labor.

Also recommending cleaning throttle body (thought I probably accomplished that with the powerwasher: )) 135.00 parts & labor.
    Is this close to a decent deal?

What did I do with the power washer to make the coil go bad? MANY THANKS TO THIS FORUM FOR GETTING MY VEHICLE TO 200,000 MILES!!!
    BOB

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

I've never washed my engine while it was running but I don't know that really relates to the problem. When I wash mine, I always use the low pressure tire/engine cleaner, let it sit a while and then rinse it with the spot free rinse option (also low pressure). All the electrical connectors are sealed so there shouldn't be a concern with water intrusion, however with a high pressure wash, this is still a possibility of moisture getting past the seals. You may have a cracked coil either because (relatively) cold water hit it while it was hot or it was already cracked and the introduction of water caused the problem to become apparent.

When they refer to cleaning the throttle body, they are referring to internal cleaning. A pressure washer won't accomplish this for you.

fredolan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS4

Thanks ddalder!
    So it doesn't sound like your completely offended by the cost of these two repairs.
    I am going to have the work done.
    I will follow your direction on future engine cleaning.
    Best Regards

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

I can't really speak to the quote because I know the US part and labour prices are much lower than here in Canada. The dealerships here charge in/around $140/hour and part costs seem to be near double the US in many cases.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.