timing chains
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, timing chains in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ...
    Jerry Grass is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 SRX

timing chains

I found this forum Friday after my wife picked up her car, a 2005 SRX, from the Dealership after having the timing chains replaced. I am sure this will be the last Cadillac I will purchase (I have owned several). I will certainly let my friends know about the built-in defect that Cadillac’s have that I discovered here.
    The car has 84,000 miles, is garage kept, has been maintained according to the manual. If the car had 125,000 miles or more this would not have been a surprise.
    I see that Cadillac has recognized they have a problem by giving an additional warranty on the 2007 SRX. Why have they not extended the warranty on all model since this is their fault.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 130k
    Because 06s and older are out of warranty...I will never buy another GM 3.6 again...hence why I got the N*. A timing chain going out should always be a surprise as they are supposed to be good for the life of the vehicle...timing belt, now that's expected to need replacement around 100k.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

jimmbo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 sts

Re: timing chains

Anything with a 3.6 DI should be covered up 192,000 km(120,000 miles) or 10yrs, I don't know about nonDI engines. The real problem is how GM skimped out on the chains. They look flimsier than the ones on a bicycle. Ba$tards

Loren is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 STS

I got a letter from Cadillac last week telling me my warranty on the timing chain is 120,000 miles or 10 years from the date it was originally put in service. I had previously had the ECM reprogrammed to prevent premature wear as a result of another letter they sent me last year.

The issue is not the chain, it's the crap shoot of a PCV system, or lack there of...the vent orifice clogs, then oil gets sucked into the intake, causing the crankcase to be low on oil...all 3.6 owners should check their oil religiously...
    Past Cadillac's

Yeah the reprograming drops the oil change interval to about 5500 miles using Mobil 1.

I did 5k intervals with my CTS, didn't care what the OLM said.
    Past Cadillac's

kschwed is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS 1SC

So what exactly is the issue with the timing chains? I check my oil because I notice that I burn through it. Is there a way to fix that?

The skimpy little chains that Gm used as timing shains are stretching. This is causing the valve timing to alter enough that the engine will not be able to meet emission targets. It triggers a code.

kschwed is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS 1SC

What is the relationship between these chains and burning through oil? And can the timing chain issue be avoided by keeping oil levels at an optimum level?

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Most are fine. The 3.6 was new. The DI, tensioner changes and supplier changes didn't help.

Look at all the issues that crop up a few years into production of most new designs. Even the best have some failures. As designs become obsolete, they are often finally perfected.

I love the STS Northstar.

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post

I love the STS Northstar.
    I 2nd that! I loved my FWD N* in my 2001 STS, but the RWD revision is even better!
    Past Cadillac's

prospyder is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Silver STS V6, 1990 Red Allante

I just had my 07 STS V6 in for the 30k mile service. Two days before the appt at the Cadillac dealer, the engine light came on steady. When I called the service advisor, he said it was OK to drive in for service as long as the light was steady, which it was. After checking the car, the service advisor told me the timing chain had stretched and would be replaced under warranty. (I had previously had a problem with the car not starting in January due to carbon build up -- I was told by the service advisor it was common in low-mileage cars -- which cost me $213 since it was considered a maintenance item! -- see another thread I posted on that. It was not covered under the GMPP I purchased in Dec of last year!)
    After a day and a half in the shop, the car was "ready." I noticed a knocking or rattling sound right after starting the car a day after I picked it up, so took it back to the dealership. I suspected a problem with the newly installed timing chains. After another day in the shop, I got ahold of the service advisor who told me one of the chain tensioners was not working properly and it would take another day to repair, I finally have the STS back but I'm now conerned that another stretched timing chain may occur in anther 30,000 miles.
    I will not use the Cadillac dealer that did this work for service again, but aside from that, I'm not sure if it's wise to keep the STS. (I had planned to keep until 60,000 miles.) Are the timing chains used to replace the OEM chains of better quality or can I expect another premature chain stretch/failure?
    JEP
    Kirkwood, MO

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    If your worried about it shoulda bought the bulletproof n* v8
    spike1040 likes this.

that's why I didn't get another
    3.6, heard too many horror stories when I had the CTS...
    Past Cadillac's

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.