timing chains - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, timing chains in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I'll take something that has essentially been in use since 93, and prefected over the years, over the 3.6 that ...
    curtc is online now OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 130k
    I'll take something that has essentially been in use since 93, and prefected over the years, over the 3.6 that came out in 04, to then be changed over to DI 4 years later, still with timing chain problems..also, I'll take a blown HG or half case leak over a busted timing chain any day.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

KRSTS is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

Re: timing chains

NOT when GM stepped up to the plate and now warranties the timing chains for 10 years or 120K miles. HG and half case leaks not beyond original factory warranty.

curtc is online now OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 130k
    Quote Originally Posted by KRSTS
    NOT when GM stepped up to the plate and now warranties the timing chains for 10 years or 120K miles. HG and half case leaks not beyond original factory warranty.
    Not for all of them, anyone with an 04-06 got screwed by the same problem, no warranty or reimbursement for those owners...and by extending the warranty that shows that GM knows they screwed up, but aren't willing to correct the flawed design...

Timing chain breaks at freeway speed and kiss your engine goodbye...the N* will survive its flaws, the 3.6 won't be so fortunate.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    ^game set match WINNER!

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

I detest the Northstar...the LLT/LFX are ages ahead. But yes on the bypass valve, and the v8's have the issue as well. When we dissasemble the oil pumps it appears it is not the valve so much as the casting/maching flash/burr's. All they need to do is take a little more time in finishing after rogh machining and the bypass valves should not be that bif od an issue.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Unfortunately, all too often 'perfected' and 'obsolete' amount to the same thing.

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

So true.

jimmbo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 sts

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski View Post
    FWIW, roller chains don't stretch like pulling taffy but they do wear at the pin joints. The links stay the same length but the assembly gets longer. At this point the sprocket and the chain do not match. The chain engages the sprocket farther and farther out on the teeth until the whole thing goes to hell. It's pretty clear at this point that the cam chain drive system design was botched and the designer is probably unemployed.
    He probably was, like almost all incompetent management, promoted and given a HUGE bonus for designing something on the CHEAP.

8323matt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac STS

ktr-sb,

Did you order this from your Dealer or off the web? If you did I would like to know what site. I changed my timing chains, tensioners, and guides before I was deployed and still made a whinning-groaning type of noise for about 30 seconds. Its kind of hard to explain the noise. But your answer to this makes perfect sense! Thanks man

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.