2008 Tranny Flush?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 2008 Tranny Flush? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; 2008 STS4 3.6 - just passing 70,000 miles...mostly highway. I was having my baby serviced this Monday. Should I think ...
    salvie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS 4

2008 Tranny Flush?

2008 STS4 3.6 - just passing 70,000 miles...mostly highway.
    I was having my baby serviced this Monday. Should I think about a full tranny flush at this point? Any body know or have any experience with a flush vs. fluid change?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Subsailor613 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS RWD NAV F55 N*1SF

Re: 2008 Tranny Flush?

You CAN't do a Flush, it has NO dipstick hole !
    I did mine at 50,000, fluid change, by the dealer.
    the radiator, and tranny= about $ 125.00

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

You got a steal. It cost me that much just for the cooling system flush. These transmissions should not be flushed, just the fluid exchanged with Dextron VI. Too much chance of introducing contaminants.

EChas3 is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

My dealer disagrees. They service a lot of STS's and all of them are machine flushed using all new fluid.

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    My dealer disagrees. They service a lot of STS's and all of them are machine flushed using all new fluid.
    It depends on how you define flush. If you "flush" with clean fluid OK, if you use a chemical flush not so. My experience is that transmissions are better left alone, at least for the 1st 100K, then maybe a fluid and filter change. Be very careful who you get to do the job.

EChas3 is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

I was on the fence and my service advisor explained that dropping the transmission pan, changing a screen and fluid left old fluid in the transmission. In their experience, a thorough flush with clean fluid does a good a job of cleaning the filter screen and exchanges all the fluid with new fluid. It costs a little more because of how much fluid is used.

If there's any transmission issues, then their recommendation changes. They will then recommend going in and changing the parts causing the trouble and others that are prone to wear.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.