2006 sts tires - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 2006 sts tires in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; hey i have 22s on my 05 sts with mrc and i dont find it to bad of course on ...
    scott9001 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 sts N* 1965 coupe deville

Re: 2006 sts tires

hey i have 22s on my 05 sts with mrc and i dont find it to bad of course on the tar and chip type of roads that suck balls arnt the greatest but 20s are probably the same way. i find if you buy 20s you have to lower it i think the wheel gap looks rediculas. Now i have 245/35zr22 and i can do lock to lock for turning no rubs and i can load the car up to go to the cottage and not worry. people state you can run 255/35 but im not positive on that. dont listen to what people say about horible alignment once lowered if you find yourself a good mechanic to do the alignment you will never notice tire wear problems! friends of mine drive slamed cars and have no issues with a proper setup. im into baggin vehicles so i always get a little bit of camber wear

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

The 17" wheels are different widths but the 18" wheels are identical. Either way, I recommend 235/50R for a more compliant ride or 255/45R for performance. The real difference in tire tread width is less than 1".

idkwhothatis123 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS W/ Premium Package
    Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    The 17" wheels are different widths but the 18" wheels are identical. Either way, I recommend 235/50R for a more compliant ride or 255/45R for performance. The real difference in tire tread width is less than 1".
    235/50r will give a smoother ride? I got 17's

curtc is online now OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 118k
    A 50 will give you a smoother ride than a 45 due to there being more sidewall to absorb the bumps.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

Tire choice is very personal. It's the single easiest way to change a car's ride/handling dynamics. Tire Rack's site does a nice job of guiding a buyer to a suitable tire.

I clearly am a noob with cars. Just for clarification, even though my rears are 255/45-17 I can put 235/50's on them? I'm in for the smoothest ride.

You will want to keep close to the same circumfrance (or diameter) as possible. Tire sizes are quoted as: <width in millimeters>/<sidewall height as a percentage of treadwidth>R(adial design)<wheel diameter in inches>. A 235/50R17 has treadwidth of 235mm and sidewall height of 117.5mm. Your back wheels are 1/2 inch wider than your front wheels, which most people consider close enough.

As noted earlier, all else equal, more sidewal provides a softer ride. Tire rack also rates the other factors, tire stiffness, soft or hard compounds, etc. In general a harder tire wears longer but may not provide as much traction, especially in adverse conditions.

Here's a tool to play with different tire sizes:

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

You will want to keep close to the same circumfrance (or diameter) as possible. Tire sizes are quoted as: <width in millimeters>/<sidewall height as a percentage of treadwidth>R(adial design)<wheel diameter in inches>. A 235/50R17 has treadwidth of 235mm and sidewall height of 117.5mm. Your back wheels are 1/2 inch wider than your front wheels, which most people consider close enough.

As noted earlier, all else equal, more sidewal provides a softer ride. Tire rack also rates the other factors, tire stiffness, soft or hard compounds, etc. In general a harder tire wears longer but may not provide as much traction, especially in adverse conditions.

Here's a tool to play with different tire sizes:

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp
    Thanks for the help man. I'm going with pirelli scorpion Verde a/s. 235/55r17

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.