Speed limited to 120mph - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Speed limited to 120mph in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by carter's_sts You should stay on them. "Bleep" those guys. There is no reason you should have to ...
    Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    Quote Originally Posted by carter's_sts View Post
    You should stay on them. "Bleep" those guys. There is no reason you should have to live with an error message and a disabled active suspension.

Or try yet another place if these guys end up telling you to live with it. Something is broken even if it's very intermittent. Intermittent issues just take a lot of time and effort.

I mean has anyone even tried banging on things and wiggling wires and connectors?

I still find it amazing that there is no code stored.

I agree and it is really exceedingly annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by ddalder View Post
    TRANSLATION: We're in over our heads and have absolutely no clue about how to fix this.
    Yeah pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    Ever reach out to EWill3rd on the forum? He is the best Cadillac tech I've met here.
    I haven't but I might have to do so.

Got a call from them today.
    Supposedly they have proof that the issues are being caused by the lock pick or the iPod integration system.

He said he will provide a document of proof to this fact when I pick it up.

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Re: Speed limited to 120mph

I'm sure this is entirely possible. Anytime something integrates with the data bus there can be unpredictable results. It will be interesting to see what is in this document. I guess the test is to remove all your aftermarket options and see if the fault returns.

Sure seems odd that nobody has brought up the equipment before in all the dealer visits I've had.

----------

It is possible that it is the lockpick...

My first post on this thread was -> 06-01-12 10:32 AM

Here is my post from installing the lockpick -> 05-20-12 05:10 AM

So within 2 weeks of installation of the lockpick I started having this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp View Post
    Well I installed the nu-STS which is the new STS lockpick made by PAC, this one uses the
    SRCE button being held down for 4 seconds to initiate the switch to unlocked mode rather than the mute button method.
    Works well so far, here are some pics and a video of the 'interface'.

Here is a quick YouTube video showing the enable / disable / functionality of the unit.
    Note my car is not running in ON mode at this point for demo, as I was in the garage at the time and didn't want the car running.
    http://www.youtube.com/v/J4m1ojjdTco
    I did not install the uPAC-STS until this post -> 09-20-12 09:06 PM

So based on this info it is more likely that the lockpick is the issue since issues began shortly after installation.
    But I suppose that it could be the uPAC-STS as well.
    Not sure what I can do about the defective? lockpick though

I guess I will remove the lockpick only and see if issues persist with only the uPAC-STS and not both of the units.
    Should be relatively simple, remove the nuPAC-STS unit and do the battery reset method and give it about a week to see if it comes up.

Anyone know if Tomm knows anything about this?
    I bought it through his site and was shipped the nuPAC-STS ... not sure though; will update with the documentation as soon as I have it.

Side note: I already have 80,850 miles on her ... ~17k miles in a year.

1BadCadSTS is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Not sure. I have a Tomm modified and no issues with mine.

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4

I also have the modified with no issues (2 cars).

Would be nice to hear from some non-modified users.

So the codes found this time are:

C0561 (no sub-code provided but for each component there is the same sub-code in alldata??)

This code can apparently be for:
    Power Steering --- Note I don't have active steering on my car, and neither of the messages displayed match mine.

Code:
    DTC C0561 71
    System Disabled Information Stored Invalid Serial Data Received

The power steering control module (PSCM) monitors validity faults from the steering angle sensor and vehicle stability control module (VSCM) via serial data. 

Conditions for Setting the DTC 

The PSCM does not receive vehicle speed message or receives an invalid vehicle speed message from the VSCM or steering angle sensor.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets 

Active Steering is disabled.
    SERVICE STEERING SYS and/or STABILITY SECURE MODE is displayed on the DIC.

-or-

Antilock Brake System --- I guess this must be it.

Code:
    DTC C0561 71
    System Disabled Information Stored, Invalid Serial Data Received: Electronic Brake Control Module, Suspension Control Module, 
    Power Steering Control Module, Steering Wheel Position Sensor, and Inertial Sensor Circuit/System Description 

The vehicle stability control module (VSCM) disables stability control and or traction control when other electronic control module 
    and components set DTCs for components that affect the operation stability control system.

The engine control module (ECM), power steering control module (PSCM), electronic brake control module (EBCM), magneto-rheological, 
    real time damping (MR-RTD) module, inertial measurement unit (yaw rate, lateral, and longitudinal sensor), or steering wheel position 
    sensor (SWPS) diagnoses a condition which prevents the stability control system from performing correctly. 
    The source module will typically set a DTC and the VSCM will set DTC C0561.

The VSCM disables suspension and steering stability control or all VSES for the ignition cycle when the DTC is set.
    Either stability secure mode or service stability message is displayed.
    The antilock brake system (ABS) remains functional.

Diagnostic Aids 

The DTC provides an indication that the stability control function is disabled because of a fault in another component. 
    All power steering control module (PSCM), electronic brake control module (EBCM) and magneto-rheological, 
    real time damping (MR-RTD) codes should be addressed first.

Circuit/System Verification 

Verify that no DTCs are set in the PSCM, VSCM, MR-RTD, and EBCM. 
    Also review ABS wheel speed sensor, steering angle sensor parameters for correct readings.

U2100	Controller Area Network (CAN) Bus Communication

The GMLAN serial data circuits are controller area network (CAN) high and/or low speed serial data buses used to 
    communicate information between the control modules. Typical data transmission speeds must be high enough to 
    ensure that a required real-time response is maintained. There are two different types of GMLAN serial data 
    circuits, the High speed 2-wire circuit and Low speed single wire circuit. The GMLAN serial data circuits also 
    communicate directly to the data link connector (DLC). Messages are interpreted by the externally connected 
    CANdi module which acts as a transceiver for the scan tool.

Modules connected to the GMLAN serial data circuits monitor communications during normal vehicle operation, 
    where operation information is exchanged among the modules. All the modules on the GMLAN networks, maintain 
    a transmit error counter (TEC) and a receive error counter (REC). 
    The counter values increase with detected errors and will decrease with error-free messages.

The module setting the DTC has attempted to establish communications on the GMLAN circuits for more than 7 times.

The module suspends all message transmission.
    The module uses default values for all parameters received on the serial data circuits.
    The module inhibits the setting of all other communication DTCs.

---------------------------------------------

The document provided was Document ID: 3346638 / #13-08-116-001A
    Aftermarket ALDL or DLC interface Devices causing multiple issues - (Mar 22, 2013)

Here is the outdated version from alldata:
    Code:
    Bulletin No.: 13-08-116-001
    Date: January 28, 2013
    Subject: Aftermarket ALDL or DLC Interface Devices Causing Multiple Issues
    Models: 
    2006-2013 GM Passenger Cars and Trucks
    Condition
    Customers may comment on various issues with their vehicle related to high or low speed data bus traffic. These concerns may be widely varied, but some of the known issues are listed below.
    Note 
    This bulletin is being issued with a focus on full-size trucks and full-size vans along with other fleet vehicles, but may apply to any vehicle.
    Known Symptoms:
    -	The radio may not shut off after shutting down vehicle.
    -	Bus or LAN traffic may stay active leading to a discharged vehicle battery.
    -	Problems reprogramming modules either because of interference or the device will not allow the bus to power down.
    -	ONSTAR(R) may lose the ability to provide diagnostic data.
    -	Various engine and transmission performance issues with SES light ON.
    -	Intermittent driveability issues.
    -	Reduced power message and codes.
    -	Stabilitrak(R) message and codes.
    -	C0561 stored in the EBCM leading to a traction control issue.
    -	No high speed LAN communication along with various communication U-codes.
    -	Transmission may not shift for one key cycle (TCM in default mode).
    -	Erratic gauge readings or flickering displays.
    -	SES, MIL or CEL light set and numerous DTC communication codes such as U0100, U0101, U186B and U1862.
    -	Diesel power-up devices causing no power in 4WD low range.
    -	Service Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) system light illuminated.
    -	Cannot relearn TPM
    -	Specific to Hybrids:
    -	Reduced propulsion power message.
    -	Service high voltage charging system message.
    Cause
    If nothing else can be identified as the root cause of the issue, check for a device plugged into the Assembly Line Diagnostic Link (ALDL) or Data Link Connector (DLC) for tracking and/or maintenance interval scheduling. Insurance monitoring devices, along with other electronic accessories such as aftermarket cruise control, or police speed checking devices (RADAR or LIDAR) may cause one or more of the concerns listed above.
    Many of the problems described could be caused by an open connection on the HSCAN bus. Example: if the device only makes connection with one CAN +, then it will cause bus errors and erratic ECU behavior.
    These devices may be removed by the customer for use in another vehicle while theirs is brought in for service. The intent of this bulletin is to identify a potential source of concerns that do not have other diagnostic methods to identify them.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

If you bought from Tomm, he will back it. In fact, I predict he will solve it for you regardless of where you got the Lockpick. I think he's that sort of guy.

There's federal law supporting your right to add aftermarket equipment to your car but they may have a valid point. Like suggested earlier, eliminate all non-OEM components. If it still happens, take your business elsewhere.

I too, suspect they are more concerned with getting rid of their problem (you) than correcting the issue. For all we know, they don't realize the STS has a separate set of body diagnostic codes.

Details of the lock pick are:
    Nu-sts
    Rev 1.3.1a
    Lot 001

cadillacmike68 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brg, 09 STS N* Platinum, 11 CTS Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Mrsanders3960 View Post
    I have a Silly Question, Were you driving 120 MPH? Kidding: I have an 08 STS Platinum edition and took it to a track day here at Texas Motor Speedway. It is limited at 120 and flashes the message on the DIC. If you were not in warp 2.5 at that time, I'd recommend having it checked out at your dealer...
    Your 08 STS Platinum should have no such limit unless it was a state mandated thing. Do you have th W rated tire decal on your driver's door? My 09 STS Platinum has no such limit and it definitely goes way past that to the tune of 155 + . I have that on good authority.

This issue still remains unsolved.

How does one diagnose an intermittent wheel speed sensor as has been theorized as part or all of the issue?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.