Speed limited to 120mph - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Speed limited to 120mph in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; You have no idea... ....
    MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    You have no idea... .

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    So what made it limit you to zero?

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Re: Speed limited to 120mph

Try a different Cadillac Dealer. The service department you've been going to may not be as strong as you would think. It would be very rare for the DIC to report errors and the Body Computer not to store codes in history. That service department may not be up to the technology in your car.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp
    So what made it limit you to zero?
    The car was having an electrical fit, EVERY "SERVICE xxx SYSTEM" message, ~3 minutes worth of scrolling codes on the DIC, intermittent gauges, fuel pump remained running with engine off until a door was opened AND closed.

It was a severed chassis ground. The car WOULD exceed 0 MPH though. Lol.

That is part of the reasons for this issue being so long lived.

I started with:
    GM Chevy dealer (Miller Chevrolet) - My main dealer since 2004 for every car i've ever had and most of my family's cars too.
    - unwilling to really work the issues seen, held car for weeks while dealing with GM Tech Line.
    - Refused to put any parts in the car or attempt any solutions other than 'I wouldn't bother trying to fix this' type of attitude.
    then tried:
    Anderson Cadillac (now Morries Cadillac)
    - they gave me attitude from the moment I walked in they made it sound like they wanted money up-front to even look at it, so I walked out (my family had previously purchased the 04 SRX from them so I thought there would have been some kind of a relationship formed that would have helped, guess not)...
    then tried:
    Cornerstone Chevrolet, which is my most local dealer (used to be Goulds chevrolet)
    They wouldn't give me the time of day when I stopped in to see if they could read the code from my car during my Cruise issues, they wanted an appointment the following week when I explained it was intermittent issue and the other dealer I've been working with said to stop at any GM dealer and get the code read while its displayed on the DIC.
    They didn't care.

Now at Ryan's Cadillac...
    They have been the only one willing to work on the car, granted some of it feels like they have just thrown parts at it but at least they have been willing to do something!
    I've been working with 'Jeff' as my service manager here, however as of about 2 weeks ago he is no longer working there; so now its almost like I am starting over again!
    But this new guy 'Tom' seems willing to assist as well and agreed to try this snapshot tool / device since they weren't getting anywhere.

However my faith in him has waivered already as when I called him today and informed him of the video above he basically said 'well lets wait a couple more days to see if you get the 120mph message again' I responded with while I didn't see the message scroll by I can imagine that whatever killed all of those components would have likely also set a speed limit too. ... 'just give it a few more days to see.

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville

@&$#%!!!!!!!! I HATE that crap from dealers. Gets me so damn heated!! I wanna throw my phone across the room right now.

Talk to THE manager of the Service Department. Nicely but firmly explain and give them a chance to help.

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...are-share.html
    If you're in the mood for a good story see my experience at the dealer with my v and how I got some kind of compensation after talking to the service manager.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp View Post
    That is part of the reasons for this issue being so long lived.

I started with:
    GM Chevy dealer (Miller Chevrolet) - My main dealer since 2004 for every car i've ever had and most of my family's cars too.
    - unwilling to really work the issues seen, held car for weeks while dealing with GM Tech Line.
    - Refused to put any parts in the car or attempt any solutions other than 'I wouldn't bother trying to fix this' type of attitude.
    then tried:
    Anderson Cadillac (now Morries Cadillac)
    - they gave me attitude from the moment I walked in they made it sound like they wanted money up-front to even look at it, so I walked out (my family had previously purchased the 04 SRX from them so I thought there would have been some kind of a relationship formed that would have helped, guess not)...
    then tried:
    Cornerstone Chevrolet, which is my most local dealer (used to be Goulds chevrolet)
    They wouldn't give me the time of day when I stopped in to see if they could read the code from my car during my Cruise issues, they wanted an appointment the following week when I explained it was intermittent issue and the other dealer I've been working with said to stop at any GM dealer and get the code read while its displayed on the DIC.
    They didn't care.

Now at Ryan's Cadillac...
    They have been the only one willing to work on the car, granted some of it feels like they have just thrown parts at it but at least they have been willing to do something!
    I've been working with 'Jeff' as my service manager here, however as of about 2 weeks ago he is no longer working there; so now its almost like I am starting over again!
    But this new guy 'Tom' seems willing to assist as well and agreed to try this snapshot tool / device since they weren't getting anywhere.

However my faith in him has waivered already as when I called him today and informed him of the video above he basically said 'well lets wait a couple more days to see if you get the 120mph message again' I responded with while I didn't see the message scroll by I can imagine that whatever killed all of those components would have likely also set a speed limit too. ... 'just give it a few more days to see.
    Hello Ludacrisvp,

I apologize for the the dealership issues you have experienced. I am glad to hear the Cadillac dealership your vehicle is currently at has been willing to solve your issue with you. I do understand how it can be frustrating to hear back from the service department saying to wait a few more days. Please let us know how everything goes, and reach out to us with any concerns. We can be reached via private message to further assist you.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

Well I am dropping the car off tonight...
    I hope that I was able to catch whatever it is that is causing this issue. They have 2 snaps to look at from when the car went psycho and one from a 120mph event. The car has gone psycho like this a few times since I've had it. Service just blamed it on winter roads even though the roads were not bad when I would see this. We shall see if anything fruitful comes from this.

ddalder is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Winter roads? Really? Alberta easily has roads as bad or worse in the winter and I've never had a problem. That's just an excuse... and a poor one at that. I've spent quite a bit of time in MN, both summer and winter, and I don't accept that.

Yeah I didn't accept it but they weren't willing to think it was something more than that.

The service department guys probably think I'm nuts for wanting this fixed.
    The people at work constantly comment on how often my car is not with me, it does make GM look bad.

Constantly I hear "just don't drive that fast" ... or "you can't go that fast anyways so why does it matter?"
    or they are uninformed and think its the 'governor' that I am talking about saying it can't be changed.
    The STS's governor is higher than that for my optioned car, and a tune could easily change the limit but that isn't the point.
    Something is wrong with the car, maybe its not actually the suspension or brakes or steering, but some module that is falsely sending error codes, or the car's network is picking up what it believes to be that message. Perhaps a faulty ground? or a bad suspension control module?

My answer has been "clearly there is something not correct with the car otherwise this message would not come up"
    It bothers me since when this does come up the suspension system gets disabled and goes into passive only mode.
    So what is the point of having this several thousand dollar highly advanced magnetically controlled suspension if it doesn't work?

I agree 100%. You deserve to a properly operating car; that's what you purchased.

It may have already been covered but I'm still suspecting one or more wheel speed sensors, their connectors or wiring -OR - the brake actuators and corresponding hardware. These are the sub-systems common to all the systems that are actually reporting faults.

Ever reach out to EWill3rd on the forum? He is the best Cadillac tech I've met here.

ddalder is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp View Post
    Yeah I didn't accept it but they weren't willing to think it was something more than that.

The service department guys probably think I'm nuts for wanting this fixed.
    The people at work constantly comment on how often my car is not with me, it does make GM look bad.

Constantly I hear "just don't drive that fast" ... or "you can't go that fast anyways so why does it matter?"
    or they are uninformed and think its the 'governor' that I am talking about saying it can't be changed.
    The STS's governor is higher than that for my optioned car, and a tune could easily change the limit but that isn't the point.
    Something is wrong with the car, maybe its not actually the suspension or brakes or steering, but some module that is falsely sending error codes, or the car's network is picking up what it believes to be that message. Perhaps a faulty ground? or a bad suspension control module?

My answer has been "clearly there is something not correct with the car otherwise this message would not come up"
    It bothers me since when this does come up the suspension system gets disabled and goes into passive only mode.
    So what is the point of having this several thousand dollar highly advanced magnetically controlled suspension if it doesn't work?
    TRANSLATION: We're in over our heads and have absolutely no clue about how to fix this.

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4
    You should stay on them. "Bleep" those guys. There is no reason you should have to live with an error message and a disabled active suspension.

Or try yet another place if these guys end up telling you to live with it. Something is broken even if it's very intermittent. Intermittent issues just take a lot of time and effort.

I mean has anyone even tried banging on things and wiggling wires and connectors?

I still find it amazing that there is no code stored.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.