Spoiler Install --- Drilling Holes --- Pics
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Spoiler Install --- Drilling Holes --- Pics in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I purchased a spoiler from http://www.ebay.ca/itm/280611459426?...=p5197.c0.m619 several months ago and did not install it until recently. I finally got up ...
    BarrySTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS NS

Spoiler Install --- Drilling Holes --- Pics

I purchased a spoiler from http://www.ebay.ca/itm/280611459426?...=p5197.c0.m619 several months ago and did not install it until recently. I finally got up enough courage to drill holes in the trunk lid. I know others have used double sided tape to install their spoilers, I guess I never felt comfortable in doing this. I kept imagining driving on the highway and hearing a "thung" noise and looking in the mirror to see a spoiler bouncing along the road behind.

Here is a summary of the installation, with pics.

Drilling the holes...
    - Made a template from cereal boxes. Punched the holes first, then when all holes complete, lay the template on the spoiler and cut the template to the exact outside dimension of the spoiler.
    - Lay the template on the trunk in the desired position and tape in place.
    - Where the stud holes are in the template, I stuck tape directly under, on the trunk lid, easy to mark the holes for drilling.
    - With the holes marked, remove the template.
    - Drill the holes in the trunk !!!!!!!!
    - Test fit the spoiler to the trunk. (I needed to lightly file two holes to get an easy fit)

I also primed the bare edges of the drilled holes. (Sprayed some primer in a bottle top and uses an artist brush)

Important!!
    The inner structure of the trunk is pre drilled to allow the installation of the nuts/washers to fasten the spoiler. HOWEVER, the outer most holes (one on each end) in the trunk lid are not aligned with the studs in the spoiler. These are the only studs in the spoiler that are not "factory" correct.
    You need to drill a 1" hole in the inner trunk to facilitate installing the nut on the outside studs. I purchased 1" plastic plugs from NAPA for 18 cents each to cover the 1" holes. The plugs need to be there as this area is exposed to the outside.

Installation....
    - Use a sealer on the studs. I made sealer donuts and placed around the studs on the spoiler.
    - Place the spoiler on the trunk, studs thru the holes.
    - Make sealer donuts for the nuts/washers and attach all nuts/washers, tighten lightly until all are installed. Then snug all the nuts, squishing the sealer donuts.
    - Install the 1" plastic plugs in the outer holes with lots of grease/undercoating to protect the newly cut hole. Wipe clean.

Observations....
    - The spoiler appears to be of excellent quality.
    - The spoilers are pre painted, excellent quality and color match.
    - I set the spoiler slightly more rearward than the stock location. I just liked it better there.

These spoilers are an amazing value. I don't understand why he hasn't sold all of them by now. A great guy to deal with, he even sent me extra pictures so I could compare the color.

Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

N*08STS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 STS

Re: Spoiler Install --- Drilling Holes --- Pics

Wow. Nice right up. Spoiler looks great in pics, does it look just as nice up close? $30 plus $43 shipping, I may have to give that a try, the drilling holes may cause me to go weak in the knees...lol. I've only had mine about two weeks know. Does the spoiler make a big difference in look to you, versus not having one.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    My 05 awd has one and in 07 awds had rear spoiler deleted no idea why but as such my dads 07 doesn't. I think it looks stupid without one IMHO.

BarrySTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS NS

Quote Originally Posted by N*08STS View Post
    Wow. Nice right up. Spoiler looks great in pics, does it look just as nice up close? $30 plus $43 shipping, I may have to give that a try, the drilling holes may cause me to go weak in the knees...lol. I've only had mine about two weeks know. Does the spoiler make a big difference in look to you, versus not having one.
    The spoiler looks very nice up close. The paint job is excellent. The color is slightly darker than the lid top and seems to be exact on the trunk rear. I have always liked the look of the STS spoiler. It did take almost 6 months for me to get up the courage to drill holes in the trunk.
    The trunk lid is aluminum and the holes drill very easily.

image-3502242082.jpg

Love mine. 05 1SG full gm accessory tails and corsa.

DarkMingBlueSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS 6 CYL
    Looks good!

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

Looks good.
    And For around $70 US already painted to factory color it may not be a bad idea. .... I may have to pick one up too, once I confirm what colors he actually has available.

@1BadCadSTS - Does the spoiler on yours (that I assume is factory installed) sit flush with the back of the lid?

This is the best pic I could find showing what I am talking about (I realize its a different spoiler, I am just looking at mount location)

That spoiler looks like the e&g high rise (a blend between the v and standard STS spoiler). Mine sits flush but not at the very edge. Again mine is factory installed.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post
    That spoiler looks like the e&g high rise (a blend between the v and standard STS spoiler). Mine sits flush but not at the very edge. Again mine is factory installed.
    Yes, that is the E&G STS Spoiler they call it 'Version II' on the CarID website. I did hear back from the seller and they dont have the spoiler pre-painted in my color.
    That is the info I am looking for is how close to the edge it is supposed to be. But since they don't have my color I guess its a moot point. I am fond of the E&G version II spoiler as it reminds me of the "NASCAR Inspired" spoiler that came equipped on my '01 Monte Carlo SS High Sport. I suppose I'll just keep an eye out for a good deal, whether its the factory non-v or V or E&G V2 if I get a good deal I would pick one up.

To the OP: I can't imaging what it would be like to be drilling into the lid... sounds very nerve racking.

The v spoiler isn't drilled. It's tape mounted I believe.

I'll take more pics of mine later. The forum app sucks for pics off my iPhone they are always too big to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post
    The v spoiler isn't drilled. It's tape mounted I believe.

I'll take more pics of mine later. The forum app sucks for pics off my iPhone they are always too big to fit.
    I agree with that completely! I use camera+ and take pics then have the app upload them to flickr then link them in that way.

Here it is.
    Attached Images

Another angle
    Attached Images

Looks real good, an looks like the OP got it in the same place too.

Thanks and yup looks spot on.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.