Let the mods / tweaks begin...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Let the mods / tweaks begin... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Finished my first interior modification, well after having the car tinted that is (30% sides and rear, 50% windshield)... Also ...
    Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

Let the mods / tweaks begin...

Finished my first interior modification, well after having the car tinted that is (30% sides and rear, 50% windshield)...
    Also finished exterior modification (not pictured) removal of the GM badges on fenders.
    Also finished exterior modification, 6 high beams, (fogs remain on during high-beam) since the IntelliBeam is always going from High to Lows since I drive at night everyday for work it does a lot of flashing of my fog lamps.
    So a small modification in the relay center allows Fogs to remain on whenever the high beams are on.
    On order ... STS Lockpick, RHO plate mount for front plate (says CTS-V only but I'm gonna risk it based on measurements in a thread in the V series thread for this mount)

Wrapped in matte black raven vinyl. The sun glare from the 'brushed aluminum' finish was irritating.

Did the bottom of the wheel too, not around the steering wheel buttons as I am not sure how to remove them yet.
    I did the vinyl wrapping of the wheel portion while it was still on the wheel.

Lows / fogs --- Camera doesnt really capture the look the best but it gives you an idea...

Highs / Lows / fogs --- Camera doesnt really capture the look the best but it gives you an idea...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1BadCadSTS is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Looks good. How did you run the wire for the fogs? Just jump the relay?

Charles Warren is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 sts v8 and 2003 cts 3.2

Re: Let the mods / tweaks begin...

Gm tech 2 has a option you override to make the fogs stay on with high beam. And to the op that looks good.

Thanks.
    Jumped the relay in the relay center to the parking lights since the actual relay for the high beams doesn't seem to actually do anything. My highs work with and without the high beam relay installed.

I was unaware of the tech 2 offering that feature. I may have to have that enabled and turn on the afterblow feature of the hvac system and I'm sure there is probably something else that the tech2 can do.

One more thing regarding the TechII, its times like these where I really wonder if it would be worth it to spend the $1k on buying a TechII for myself / family use.

I say this as all the family's cars are GM, not to mention the cars we no longer have were GM too.
    Mine:
    2008 STS AWD N* 4.6L
    2001 Monte Carlo SS 3.8L
    Parents:
    2004 SRX AWD N* 4.6L
    2006 SRX AWD N* 4.6L
    1999 GMC Sierra 2500 Ext 6.0L vortec
    Brother:
    2007 Impala SS 5.3L
    2005 GMC Envoy long wheelbase
    Sister:
    2005 Buick Rendezvous 3.4L

So I noticed in the sunlight on the drive home from work yesterday that the vinyl I used on the dash and steering wheel has the same sparkle / metallic look to it that the factory plastic does for the grey/black plastic of the hvac / nav controls.
    This look makes it seem really like it was an OEM option to have either the brushed aluminium or black for the trim pieces.
    Having it done this way also makes the fake chrome of the vents POP out at you like 'hey did you see this little chrome strip? No? WELL HERE IT IS!!!'
    I did have to peel off the steering wheel one as once it sat in the sun it appears it ended up peeling up on the bottom edge.
    Looks like I will have to determine how to remove that part from the wheel before I can do it again so that I can wrap the part like I was able to do for the dash piece.

Does anyone know how to remove the piece from the steering wheel that is below the air bag?
    Do I need to pull the bag and the wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Warren
    Gm tech 2 has a option you override to make the fogs stay on with high beam. And to the op that looks good.
    Got an instruction on this?

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Tech II's should be coming down in price on eBay & the like. Are they not only used on older cars?

Well I installed the nu-STS which is the new STS lockpick made by PAC, this one uses the SRCE button being held down for 4 seconds to initiate the switch to unlocked mode rather than the mute button method.
    Works well so far, here are some pics and a video of the 'interface'.

Here is a quick YouTube video showing the enable / disable / functionality of the unit.
    Note my car is not running in ON mode at this point for demo, as I was in the garage at the time and didn't want the car running.
    http://www.youtube.com/v/J4m1ojjdTco

Here is the 2009+ Cadillac CTS-V 'only' RHO plate mount. I contacted the company to see if the plate mount would work on the 08+ STS, they said NO it is only compatible with the CTS-V.
    I had a member measure theirs and based on that info, I ordered one anyways. Works just fine! If anything it could be 1/2" shorter shaft but either-way its better than the plastic mount option.

No flash

With Flash

jgoble48 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 Cadillac STS
    Does anyone know if the PAC NU-STS lock pick voids the warranty on the nav/ radio components? Thanks...

Remove it before going in for any Nav replacement serivce. Not that hard.

Real simple one trim piece held in by 6 friction clips and the Nav held in with 4 bolts. Then a few plugs and done. Not permanent nor leaves any evidence behind.

jgoble48 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 Cadillac STS
    Thanks guys. That's what I'll do.

cadillacmike68 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brg, 09 STS N* Platinum, 11 CTS Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Warren View Post
    I assume a dealer service procedure unless one already owns a Tech 2, correct?

What else can the Tech 2 "fix"???

eatyoursandwich is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS N*

Quote Originally Posted by cadillacmike68 View Post
    I assume a dealer service procedure unless one already owns a Tech 2, correct?

What else can the Tech 2 "fix"???
    Unfortunately, this depends on the competency of the tech at the dealer. Some know just about every "trick" Tech II has to offer, others just know what's in the manual. I guess my dealer is really 'by the book' because they won't code the fogs to stay on with high beams for me even though I offered to pay an hours worth of labor for a job that takes 5 minutes to do.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Aftermarket devices do not void warranties. There's a federal law to that effect. I forget the sponsors names (as that is the usual way to refer to such legislation.)

However, members' posts are correct. If you need service, just remove the Lockpick. Once you've done it once or twice, removing a Lockpick is a 15 minute task.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.