Is it really worth this? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Is it really worth this? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by majax So Would I!!!!!! OK, we're all wimps. Ian, clear your PM box....
    Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Is it really worth this?

Quote Originally Posted by majax
    So Would I!!!!!!
    OK, we're all wimps.

Ian, clear your PM box.

majax is offline 32V Northstar

or lazy

This might be the only other German car might consider, I guess I like the coupes, still at $100,000 Cdn, they can keep it!:

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V

Of all the "Bangle-ized" BMWs, that is one of the few that actually looks halfway decent, ESPECIALLY in the convertible version, beautiful car. Still kinda plasticky for my taste tho, and it looks kinda like a long G35 coupe. I like the CL alot better, from an aesthetic standpoint at least

I love the 6 to strangly someone here in town has one. Its black and purdy, I don't like the interior so much though, still okay and nice though.

Quote Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
    Of all the "Bangle-ized" BMWs, that is one of the few that actually looks halfway decent, ESPECIALLY in the convertible version, beautiful car. Still kinda plasticky for my taste tho, and it looks kinda like a long G35 coupe. I like the CL alot better, from an aesthetic standpoint at least
    You're going to have to enlighten me on the definition of "Bangle-ized" BMW's. I used to love the Bangles music, I wonder where they are today.

I think this one looks like an Austin Martin coupe, and the interior was VERY unique and interesting. I like the Ferrari-type paddle shifters opposing the steering wheel.

actually my only dislike about the interior was how small the seats were and the leather looked thin.

Take into acount I never was inside one but just saw it parked.

ellives is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '76 Eldo convertible, 97' STS Z-rated, '02 STS

Quote Originally Posted by DG2
    You fail to remember the Harley-Davidson model of Americon Iconism. Cadillac is very fortunate to have the same type of "Icon" status as Harley-Davidson. 18 years ago knowone thought Harley would be able to come out with a new product and charge thousands more then they ever had, but they did that and so much more. Harley invested millions to improve the products and make them worldclass. Cadillac invested billions to make them world class.

It is working and we are seeing just the beggining of what will be a near mirror business model of how Harley-Davidson became the most profitable motorcycle company in the world..

It is fun to watch an American company "do it right"
    It's an interesting comparison you make to H-D. I hope Cadillac never goes there. I hardly would call H-D worldclass. There's nothing worldclass about them as far as I'm concerned. I don't consider myself well-versed in motorcycles but I have some friends that are riders and they all went out and bought H-D's and couldnt' tolerate the ride for long distances. They traded them in for (shudder) BMW's and have been happy ever since. Go figure.

Ells

ellives is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '76 Eldo convertible, 97' STS Z-rated, '02 STS

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy
    Every car depreciates mega-bucks! My Town Car listed at $ 47,645.00. I got $2,500.00 off of MSRLP, so that then became $ 45,145.00. Then there was a $ 4,000.00 rebate making it $ 41,145.00. I had prior owned a 1998 Mark VIII LSC, and there was a $ 1,000.00 "Owner Loyality Rebate" so, that made it $ 40,000.00. Then, being 56 years old I fast sent away $25.00 to join A.A.R.P. and in so doing, I recieved an additional $ 500.00 for FoMoCo, bringing it down to $ 39,500.00. Lastly, there was $1,200.00 "Dealer Money" (or back door money) and he split it with me, so.... THAT was $ 600.00, bringing it down to $ 38,900 which is what I paid.

Now... the car is 100% perfect, showroom mint and has a mere 5,200 miles on it, never in snow, seldom in rain. It's a 2003. It exhibits absolutely zero signs of any wear. My dealer has 3 very similiar examples on his used car lot. Granted mine has more equipment, but still.....his cars are 2 year leases that went out in November of 2002 and are now back, 24 months later. One has 15,000 miles, the other one has 11,000 miles. Okay, I have 5,200 miles, but he is ASKING $ 27,995 for them. That's a drop of about $18,000 from MSRLP and $10,000 for what they coulda been bought for, new. I figure mine's worth $28,000 firm. Next year this time? Maybe $18,000 ?? Is THAT depreciation, or what?
    People think mer-SAY-dees don't depreciate. They are wrong! My dentist has a S430 and was telling me it's worth $25,000 less than what he paid in 2003.

My accountant has 'em all beat. He buys a Chevy Malibu, (new) and keeps it 10 years. He takes it off his income tax as he goes to clients offices (using it IN work) and by the end of 10 years it has cost him zero ! Spreading out the cost new, and the tax reduction over 10 year period. He is today driving a 1997. So, a new one is coming in 2007. He says, Buy a cheap car, keep it until the wheels fall off and write it off work, if at all possible.
    This discussion highlights a point BBob made a while back which is the fact that the dealer makes WAY WAY too much money on these transactions. They are all out there building new buildings and getting bigger and bigger while GM struggles to make money. Something is wrong with the recipe.

In the end the depreciated value (at least when you drive off the lot) is what the dealer is actually paying for the car, less a bit for simply being owned by someone else. When a car depreciates that fast it shows (at least to me) that they are making way too much money.

Some of the resale values I see out there for Honda's particularly are simply pure leming behavior. I've seen people asking on Ebay for more money than the KBB average retail! Who would pay that? lol

I doubt I'll buy a new car again for a long long time.... at least until the crash and consolidation of the car business comes... there's just too much available on the used market to take the beating....

Ells

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.