Should I buy 2006 STS V6 with 145K Miles
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Ludacrisvp
  • 1 Post By EChas3
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Should I buy 2006 STS V6 with 145K Miles in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; As the title states I'm considering buying a 2006 STS v6. Asking price is $8,000. Regular oil changes, radiator fluid ...
    STSMAN67 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS

Should I buy 2006 STS V6 with 145K Miles

As the title states I'm considering buying a 2006 STS v6. Asking price is $8,000. Regular oil changes, radiator fluid changed/flushed, transmission serviced around 100K, tune-up at 100K. Car seems to be in good shape. Miles are freeway miles, fairly easy to verify. Anything in particular I should look for? How many miles will this engine go? Any input is greatly appreciated - STS

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Re: Should I buy 2006 STS V6 with 145K Miles

That seems a bit spendy to me but the market has changed a lot since I bought. If it's clean and well cared for, it should last a long time.

But don't expect repairs to cost the same as a Chevy Impaler or Ford Tortise. These are luxury cars.

dannyquest is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 STS 95,000 miles

The engin will run very well cause I have a 06 STS V-6. A lot of these V-6 will burn lots of oil. Mine did at a rate of 1 qt. every 760 miles when it had only 30,000 miles. While under warrenty Cadillac re-ringed the piston cyclinders. Now Uses no oil. Tires & brakes cost more on Cadillac due size of tires. Read the forms about the transmission chuggle problems, the torque converter will need to be replaced and that not cheap. Check to see if the rear diff seal is leaking or has been replaced. Also see Cadillac about service records. Hope this help. Danny

SHANENATAS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS

I bought an 05 a few months ago with . . . wait for it. . . . . 175,000 for 6550.00. It runs like I kid you not, new. My buddy ha the 06 V with way less miles and after driving mine, he called me a few names and told me what kind of great deal I found. This is like his 3rd or th Caddy so I respect his opinion. I have the V8 rear wheel fully loaded STS. Doesn't burn oil, throws you back in the seat when I need to and everything works. I did have to almost replace a fog light, just a loose connection though. Oh yea, for my friends STS being supercharged, my STS seemed to take off just as fast if not faster, suspention felt better and my brakes felt wayyy better than his. I also liked my interior better the the Vs.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

Is it the AWD version or the RWD version, you really need to see the car in person and physically look to find out.
    I say this as there are a lot of dealers that list them as RWD in the Advertisement to have the actual car being AWD.
    I think I would try and find out if the timing chains have been replaced recently or not, as that is a common issue on the V6 STS.
    Jesda and Jesda like this.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

8 grand seems high. Maintenance can get quite expensive.

DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    I would ! My STS has 171,000 and runs great. If the price is right 145,000 is no big deal fur a Cadillac.

----------

One more point. Check service records and make sure no major issues. If clean you should be able to get for less. But if mint $7,500 for an STS is not a bad price.

No rain on that parade. Enjoy!

Drive it like you stole it. The N* loves exercize.

If it's the 3.6, please keep us informed. (I figure your your V-friend wouldn't appreciate a car with normal torque/weight ratio.

Bigplay is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 Escalade, 05 STS

Wow I must drive mine like and old person I only have a little under 42,000 miles on my STS and drive it to work everyday.

cad4joe06 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V6

I have a 2006 STS V6. Just did all 6 Plugs and Coils, and the air tuning valve since the upper intake had to be removed (thanks cadillac forum for what that buzzing noise was) at 97,000 miles. No other issues until the timimg chain went out two weeks later. This is a big job, (9-10 hours labor)and you want no one doing this job but Cadillac. Too risky for non Caddy Techs to go after. Cost $2900.00 with fuel system service coolant flush and oil change. I'm keeping my STS no other issues, and it has been a good car, burns 87 octane and the mileage is great!! I had mine appraised by the bank on a refinance at $12775.00. Its worth it. Have fun!!

pkared is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 STS4

The cars were engineered to go 200,00 miles but even the most carefully laid plans.... so Look it over and verify. The only way to keep maint costs reasonable is to have talented friendly mechanic or/and all the cool, knowledgable folks on this forum. When something goes wrong, don't dive in, post it on the forum, get the advice and then decide what to do, These are complicated machines with a lot of little tricks that the forum folks know. It would seem reasonable that you would get 50,000 reliable miles out of her if she hasn't been abused, after that, you'll know if it's worth going any further on your dime.

----------

Make sure you watch the oil level carefully, this is key to longevity and operating temperature.(Keepin' it cool)

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Quote Originally Posted by pkared View Post
    The cars were engineered to go 200,00 miles...
    Fixed:

"GM cars with the 3.6l V6 (prior to 2010) are prone to timing chain and/or oil consumption issues after 20,000 miles."
    Guy.Seminerio likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.