Gas Mileage for 2005-2007 STS's, both RWD & AWD
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Gas Mileage for 2005-2007 STS's, both RWD & AWD in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi, I haven't had a Caddy for over 10 years since I got rid of my 2000 Seville with the ...
    Budabear is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Gas Mileage for 2005-2007 STS's, both RWD & AWD

Hi,

I haven't had a Caddy for over 10 years since I got rid of my 2000 Seville with the Northstar engine. I absolutely loved the car but I made the mistake of getting rid of it. I'm now thinking of coming back to Caddy, either with a 2006 STS V6 or a 2003 Seville which I believe is the last year the made the Seville STS.

I've been searching online for what type of gas mileage I can expect either way and I'm finding different figures. One site says the STS V6 will get a high of 24mpg on the highway and another site says 27mpg. Do any of you drivers ever check your mileage. I realize it is according to the driver but it is good to know what a car is capable of, heavy foot or not. My present car is a 2003 Toyota Avalon and when I drive on the highway I get about 24mpg with my heavy foot and my wife gets the 30mpg that it is suppose to get.

I realize that this is not the Seville forum but if anyone happens to have the same answer for that one I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in Advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Re: Gas Mileage for 2005-2007 STS's, both RWD & AWD

IMHO, the RWD STS should be equipped with snow tires in climates that get more than three snowfalls in an average year. Maybe that's not as important with a V6 or if you are willing to adjust your plans based on the weather. The OEM Michelins tend to be a little too hard a compound for good traction on slick roads. All-season tires are really just a compromise that give up something (ride, performance, mileage, treadlife or road noise) in the best weather and the worst.

AWD is a good option but I can't recommend it for poeple in less snowy climates, especially if they are concerned with gas mileage. It just adds too much weight and rolling resistance. I love mine but my priorities seem to be different than many forum members.

Your mileage may vary. We once got 25MPG at 80MPH for a tank of Interstate cruising in my wife's 2007 STS V8. It has the 2.73 gear (RPO GU2) and was turning 2,000 RPM for that drive. It also had a set of OEM Michelin Pilot Energy tires that were so hard that damp roads would engage the traction conrol!

I'd bet a RWD V6 driving legal New York speeds could get better than 30MPG. (Isn't the limit still 55?) A Northstar just starts to breathe at 2k RPM. Neither my wife or I would buy a Cadillac with a V6 so I can't help you much on that. Some other member should chime in soon.

Good luck!

orange57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS Northstar RWD

There are a few posts on MPG's, and they seem to vary a lot depending on the driver.

Personally, I get around 19mpg around town, and 26-28 on long freeway trips. I'm pretty light on the throttle. My daily commute is 16miles round trip. I have an 05 with the Northstar. Overall, I really like the car. It has plenty of power and pick up when I do get on the throttle.
    Budabear and Budabear like this.

99embrey is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    06 awd v6 gets 25 combined, but mostly hwy

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    IMHO, the RWD STS should be equipped with snow tires in climates that get more than three snowfalls in an average year. Maybe that's not as important with a V6 or if you are willing to adjust your plans based on the weather. The OEM Michelins tend to be a little too hard a compound for good traction on slick roads. All-season tires are really just a compromise that give up something (ride, performance, mileage, treadlife or road noise) in the best weather and the worst.

AWD is a good option but I can't recommend it for poeple in less snowy climates, especially if they are concerned with gas mileage. It just adds too much weight and rolling resistance. I love mine but my priorities seem to be different than many forum members.

Your mileage may vary. We once got 25MPG at 80MPH for a tank of Interstate cruising in my wife's 2007 STS V8. It has the 2.73 gear (RPO GU2) and was turning 2,000 RPM for that drive. It also had a set of OEM Michelin Pilot Energy tires that were so hard that damp roads would engage the traction conrol!

I'd bet a RWD V6 driving legal New York speeds could get better than 30MPG. (Isn't the limit still 55?) A Northstar just starts to breathe at 2k RPM. Neither my wife or I would buy a Cadillac with a V6 so I can't help you much on that. Some other member should chime in soon.

Good luck!
    I agree with the snow tires. I have a full set of snows for my Avalon. I drive yea round on ContiExtremes all seasons which I find to be the best tire, bar none, to drive year round. I very rarely use the snows. My wife tend to drive the speed limit so she usually gets the projected hwy mileage. I tend to drive much faster so I tend to get much less. If I thought I'd get 25, or better on the highway I'd be happen with that. I don't like michelins at all so I'd never use them. I'm not happy with the thought of having to replace 17's on STS or Seville. I spend top dollar now on the conte's and I'm currently using 16's. Going to a caddy will end up costing me over $250 more each time I need tires. So, I may consider putting 16" wheels on either car I pick up. I'm sure most of you may not agree with that change but I'd really like to get one of these cars over a newer Avalon but economically I would have to make it work, $650 for tires every year or two doesn't fit my wallet. I'd actually have to do the same thing if I got a newer Avalon as they also come with 17's.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by orange57 View Post
    There are a few posts on MPG's, and they seem to vary a lot depending on the driver.

Personally, I get around 19mpg around town, and 26-28 on long freeway trips. I'm pretty light on the throttle. My daily commute is 16miles round trip. I have an 05 with the Northstar. Overall, I really like the car. It has plenty of power and pick up when I do get on the throttle.
    I tried searching before this post and found nothing on gas mileage with each search. I'm liking what I am hearing so far. Your mileage is quite surprising to me with the V8 but it is a nice surprise. When I had my Seville with the Northstar I think I was getting around 24 and wasn't happy but times do change. Lol

With mileage like your getting, if the general consensus is similar, I might stop looking for a V6 unless it will do tremendously better on gas. I drove a V6 AWD yesterday and was pretty happy with it. Of course the V8 would have me in driving in a heavenly cloud. Lol.

It does appear that gas mileage is quite similar between the two engines and I'm finding that very weird.

Quote Originally Posted by 99embrey View Post
    06 awd v6 gets 25 combined, but mostly hwy
    Amazing how close your mileage is to the V8.

orange57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS Northstar RWD

I don't think the v6 gets a whole lot better mpg's than the Northstar. Wait to get some others input. I think I may be more of the exception to the rule. I rarely get on the throttle hard, I'm not n a huge hurry. But it is nice to have the power :-). I have read other threads where people say they get 15ish with the car. It also depends on the rear end gearing. I'm not sure what I have, but I would guess its probably the economy gears. I'm still happy with my purchase, I got mine last august.

Thanks! I love the feel and pickup of the Northstar and it's looking like I'll be getting another. ;-0

caddyfat2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG w/ HUD-ACC

The last trip I took, I got combined 21.9 MPG.

Quote Originally Posted by caddyfat2 View Post
    The last trip I took, I got combined 21.9 MPG.
    That seems really low, I couldn't drive a car with low mileage like that. Sounds like you definitely have an extremely heavy foot. Lol. Is it possible you need a tune up?

erichthecatt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CADILLAC STS 1SC

With my V6 i usually get 19mpg in town. thats city,hwy. On the hwy I usually get 28 pretty consistansly, but I sure do miss the power and sound of the V8. My best mpg was 35.9mpg, which you can see in the pic I attached Mostly flat, rolling hills. 55mph. The mileage did decrease to 30mpg, during the next 15 or 20 miles as I was climbing a winding mountain road. The best I ever got on my 2000 sls was 30mpg, driving fairly easy.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by erichthecatt View Post
    With my V6 i usually get 19mpg in town. thats city,hwy. On the hwy I usually get 28 pretty consistansly, but I sure do miss the power and sound of the V8. My best mpg was 35.9mpg, which you can see in the pic I attached Mostly flat, rolling hills. 55mph. The mileage did decrease to 30mpg, during the next 15 or 20 miles as I was climbing a winding mountain road. The best I ever got on my 2000 sls was 30mpg, driving fairly easy.
    Very cool! Is the power the only thing your missing from the V8? Do you find any advantages in owning the V6 now?

erichthecatt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CADILLAC STS 1SC

I really miss the way the northstar sets you back in your seat, and the mean growl of the engine when you give it the gas! But I love the better fuel mileage with the V6. The V6 does have really good power, but it just doesnt seem the same as the V8. Maybe part of that is due to the car being so much quieter inside. The V6 shifts totally different, and was very hard for me to get use to. It still doesnt feel right to me, but the dealer says it shifts within the factory specs. So..... The biggest plus for me with the V6 compared to the V8 is better mpg, and it turns alot tighter. (plus the advanced electronics) The biggest neg. is the shifting pattern, (seems like it shifts way too soon) and the way it shifts after a hard acceleration, (instantly shifts when letting up on the gas) Cant rotate the tires either.

Quote Originally Posted by erichthecatt View Post
    I really miss the way the northstar sets you back in your seat, and the mean growl of the engine when you give it the gas! But I love the better fuel mileage with the V6. The V6 does have really good power, but it just doesnt seem the same as the V8. Maybe part of that is due to the car being so much quieter inside. The V6 shifts totally different, and was very hard for me to get use to. It still doesnt feel right to me, but the dealer says it shifts within the factory specs. So..... The biggest plus for me with the V6 compared to the V8 is better mpg, and it turns alot tighter. (plus the advanced electronics) The biggest neg. is the shifting pattern, (seems like it shifts way too soon) and the way it shifts after a hard acceleration, (instantly shifts when letting up on the gas) Cant rotate the tires either.
    I also miss the days of my Northstar in the Seville I had. That's surprising that the V6 is quieter then the V8 in the passenger compartment. I have test driven a V6 AWD and was quite surprised how it seem to rule the road with the tight steering and suspension. I definitely want better mileage in whichever I choose so I was leading to the V6 but the previous posts are saying that the V8 also gets excellent gas mileage so I will have to test drive that also and try to decide between the two. BUT, I also miss the way the Northstar takes off like a rocket holding you to the back of your seat. Lol

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Do NOT believe the DIC. Sometmes it's accurate; but more often, mines optimistic. My wife's is usually closer.

AWD N* sucks gas around town if you work the car at all. AWD's all have the 3.23. I average 15MPG in the Winter around town/a little hwy. It's better in Summer. Maybe the AWD V6 doesn't pay qute the same penalty but I know I'd have the pedal on the floor a couple times a day.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.