Gas Mileage for 2005-2007 STS's, both RWD & AWD - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Gas Mileage for 2005-2007 STS's, both RWD & AWD in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by EChas3 Do NOT believe the DIC. Sometmes it's accurate; but more often, mines optimistic. My wife's is ...
    Budabear is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Gas Mileage for 2005-2007 STS's, both RWD & AWD

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    Do NOT believe the DIC. Sometmes it's accurate; but more often, mines optimistic. My wife's is usually closer.

AWD N* sucks gas around town if you work the car at all. AWD's all have the 3.23. I average 15MPG in the Winter around town/a little hwy. It's better in Summer. Maybe the AWD V6 doesn't pay qute the same penalty but I know I'd have the pedal on the floor a couple times a day.
    I never look to a car computer to tell me my mpg. From what I've seen they don't even come close. I check my mileage the old fashion way at the pump. I thought the AWD versions got slightly worse gas mileage??

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

The optimism shown in the DIC may be due to the fact that a lot of people overfill their gas tank. It may not calculate the MPG accurately if you shove in more fuel than its supposed to hold.
    EChas3 I am not saying that you are someone who does this, just speaking in general as you can get about 1/2 gallon more into the tank when you top it off, this half gallon may fuzz the numbers a bit.
    Not sure if the STS has the same amount of 'spare' room in its tank as the 02 DTS had, as I did top that one off occasionally when i thought it stopped pumping too early (like sometimes happens with a failing pump handle or bad fill angle), only to have a little bit of gas spill out of the nozzle.

malatu is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 3.6 AWD

My DIC is fairly accurate in computing mpg. When I first got the car, I tracked tracked the mpg and the fuel consumed both manually and with the DIC. I did this over about 3 or 4 tanks of fuel during a 800 - 1000 mile trip. I was pleasantly pleased (and somewhat amazed) at how accurately the DIC measured the amount of fuel consumed. The difference between my manual calculations and the DIC for the total amount of fuel consumed was less than .3 gallons. I haven't performed this exercise since then. Maybe the accuracy was a result of the majority of the miles driven during this test were mostly all hwy miles.

And if you are calculating manually, it doesn't matter how much you fill your tank as long as you fill it to the same level your first tank and the last tank of fuel. To what level you fill your tank in between doesn't matter (assuming you are performing this exercise over numerous and consecutive tanks of gas).

erichthecatt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CADILLAC STS 1SC

Ive always found the mpg display to be pretty accurate on the cars ive owned from my 84 cadillac on up. Around town, I always get gas at costco. Each time I fill up, I reset the display and the "fuel used" is always really close. Usually within a tenth of a gallon, or two. So many times when ive been on vacation, ive been cheated by the pumps, showing ive pumped in more fuel, than the display shows. Has anyone had any instances of getting ripped off at the pump? When its always accurate at costco, and off at independant gas stations....hmmmm.. A few years back I went to this dump of a station in vegas close to the freeway. Somehow, I pumped in 3 more gallons than my car held. Now that was a trick. Called weights and measures, and reported them. Within the day, weights and measures called me back to let me know that I was accurate. The gas station refunded my money. The pumps are checked once a year, and can be manipulated, weights n measure told me. Quite a profit in a years time. Im going to start checking my fuel usage manually and see how it looks, but ive always found the computer to be very accurate so far.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp View Post
    EChas3 I am not saying that you are someone who does this, just speaking in general as you can get about 1/2 gallon more into the tank when you top it off, this half gallon may fuzz the numbers a bit.
    Funny (no really) you should reference this. My wife ALWAYS tops off her fill! I have learned that one secret to a happy life is to have a happy wife. I don't discuss it.

I use credit and always have a perfect fill! It's usually about 15.123 gallons. I miss my Roadmaster. I usually got near 400 miles on a tank, 500 on the Interstate.

cjmeyer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

Average 23 kicking around the Florida roads in my V6 2005 that I recently purchased.Not much different than my 2000 Deville gets!2 different sizes for the tires is a pain if you like to rotate.

truckinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS 3.6
    Yea in my 05 STS V6 I ave about 27-28 with the cruise set at 70 and about 20-21 around town...that is when I'm driving like a sane person. Lol

Budabear is offline Cadillac Owners Member

It's cool to know that these huge cars, smaller engine or large, can get good gas mileage. But, I do have to admit that spending $650+ each tire change isn't something to look forward to. Could keep many from purchasing a Cadillac. I'd love to know if any previous year Cadillac 16" wheels would fit the STS's. Now that I'm not as concerned about gas mileage I'm still concerned with the tire situation. Lol

^^^ If a few hundred bucks a year concerns you, don't buy a Cadillac, BMW, Mercedes, Jag, Audi, etc. Stay in your Toyota and enjoy.

You gotta pay to play.

truckinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS 3.6
    Heck, my tires on my jeep cost 900 a set. Lol. My STS tires aren't made to pull it over large rocks and thru deep mud tho. Lol

Smiling Jack is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Now: 79Eldo, 95SevSTS, 06STS. Former: 71&75 CDV,81Eldo,91SDV

Quote Originally Posted by cjmeyer View Post
    .................different sizes for the tires is a pain if you like to rotate.
    You could consider no rotation a blessing.
    When my wife asked why they put different size tires on the front and rear, I replied,"so you never again need to get your tires rotated." She thought that was just wonderful.

BMW used to recommend against tire rotation for performance reasons. After rotation, a car has diminished traction for a period of time while the old wear patterns fade.
    Smiling Jack and Smiling Jack like this.

Getting back to the original question:

2006 V6 RWD: 31mpg highway

Will post details later today

Quote Originally Posted by Smiling Jack View Post
    Getting back to the original question:

2006 V6 RWD: 31mpg highway

Will post details later today
    2006 V6 RWD, brand new Michelin Pilots, original (staggered) wheel and tire sizes, negligible wind, 83 F outside air, A/C on, extremely level terrain, all highway, frequent overpass humps, typically 60 - 65 mph, occasionally slower, light traffic, ~3/4 full of fuel.

31.6 (per DIC)mpg on 10 mile trip to airport with only myself in the car.

30.6 mpg on return trip with 2 added passengers plus luggage.

Not bad, but not particularly impressive for the V6 considering that my '95 Seville STS N* V8 used to do about the same and was considerably quicker and also roomier.

ghostdriver is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS

I have a 2007 STS V8 4.6L. It's rated about 27 Highway / 17 City. I have a long commute but it's through stop-and-go traffic more often than not. It's also our family car so we drive it around town as well. I'm averaging about 18MPG according to the readout on the display.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.