Help with 2005 STS misfire P0304
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Help with 2005 STS misfire P0304 in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I've got a reading on my CarMD of P0304, cylinder 4 misfire. I've searched through this forum and it appears ...
    CTS11723 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

Help with 2005 STS misfire P0304

I've got a reading on my CarMD of P0304, cylinder 4 misfire. I've searched through this forum and it appears the consensus is that the plugs should not go bad before 100,000 miles. I've got 76,000. I am assuming that the coil pack that connects to the plug may have a bad connection or gone bad.

Sometimes it is very obvious that there is a misfire. Shaking, bad acceleration. I can hear and feel it. Then other times I'll start it up and it is as smooth as can be. Today while coming home, it started out smooth and then started shaking again.

I'd like to take off the engine cover so that I can access the plugs and wires. If I read correctly, I just need to remove the caps and yank it off. Also, how do I know which cylinder is which?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Re: Help with 2005 STS misfire P0304

Does it vary with damp weather? Is there any pattern?

A set of OEM plugs wouldn't be a waste of money if you're planning to keep the car.

Pjazz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS 1SG V8 RWD

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    Does it vary with damp weather? Is there any pattern?

A set of OEM plugs wouldn't be a waste of money if you're planning to keep the car.
    Ditto

I think it does vary with the damp weather as I am in the Albany, NY area and we have had a bit of rain this week. It was worse in the morning and then after the engine was heated it would smooth out. The only exception to that theory is today. It was bad in the morning and very damp. The engine smoothed out and was fine when I drove at lunch. After work, it was very humid and started smooth then started shaking a few miles out.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Classic failing coil symptoms lead me to suggest you check with Chris at Rippy's for a coil. Keep track as others go.\

Consider stepping up to a garage. Exposing a valuable asset to the elements will increase maintenance requirements.

Update on misfire. I ran the diagnostics again and I've got P0304 and P0204. Someone else in the forum left a link to a site with great information http://www.aa1car.com/library/misfire.htm

It says that if both of these codes are returned, that I've probably got a bad injector. If it was the coil, the code would have been P0354 Ignition Coil 4 Control Circuit along with the P0304.

I think I am going to start with finding someone to do an off-car injector cleaning as recommended here: http://www.aa1car.com/library/2003/ic30336.htm

cdezey is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Before u go through that find someone with a pro scantool u will get a lot more info, the codes u have are just that u need voltage- resistance etc etc.

Here's the latest. Replaced plugs, ignition coil on both #3 and #4 and also injectors for #3 and #4 (All AC Delco OEM). Still getting the same codes. Noid test failed on these 2 connectors on the harness.

Should I look to replace the harnes or could this be a problem with the ECM?

Also, does anyone know the part number for the fuel injector wiring harness? I have searched everywhere and can't find it.

mdmings517 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V6

What was the finally result of this problem? I am having the same issue. I have replaced coil and plugs all 6.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.