07 STS worn brakes
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 07 STS worn brakes in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey guys! Looking for some advice. I've got an 07 STS v6 awd and the brake rotors and pads are ...
    ahamay115 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 97 Deville

07 STS worn brakes

Hey guys! Looking for some advice.

I've got an 07 STS v6 awd and the brake rotors and pads are all but worn out and I only have 25k miles on it. This seems a little premature, as I don't drive it very often or very hard when I do. The car is still under full factory warranty until August of this year, so do you think I have any ground to stand on for making a case to my local dealership? I know brakes are considered a wear item and are not usually covered under warranty, but are the stock rotors and pads really that terrible that they wear out this quickly and they squeal like mad!!

What are your guys' thoughts? Do I complain to my dealership and see if I can get anywhere? Are there better aftermarket packages suited for this car that will last longer than 25k miles?

Thanks in advance!!
    -Chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

malatu is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 3.6 AWD

Re: 07 STS worn brakes

Driving it "not very often" means nothing. That's sort of like asking, "What weighs more, a 10 lb bag of rocks or a 10 lb bag or cotton." 10 pounds is 10 pounds. Your car has 25,000 miles on it whether you drive it often or not. I don't know where you live, but brakes on a car driven in Pgh, PA (lots of hills) don't last nearly as long as a car driven in the flat lands of FL. If you live in Pgh., I'd say those brakes have served you very well.

ahamay115 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 97 Deville

I'm from Erie, PA... not very hilly (if thats a word...)

The reason it seems to be excessive wear is that I am comparing it to my 06 Jeep Grand Cherokee, that I would consider to be a much heavier vehicle, and I got over 60k miles on those stock brakes. I would consider my braking on the Jeep to be much more severe, as I have driven it on several road trips thru the mountains and tow with it often. By comparison, these brakes on my Cadillac are pathetic!

Cadjiek is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS 2009 CTS AWD

What really matters is how many times you hit the brake pedal in 25000 miles. Not how many miles you have. My 07 has 27000 miles and I stll have plenty of pad left.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Your brake wear isn't any worse than that reported by some other members. IMHO, the STS encourages a driver to drive more agressively (it's fun!) I suspect your driving style in the Jeep was more different than you realize.

I do think the JL9 brakes are a bit undersized but my wife (a left foot braker) got over 50,000 miles from hers. I got over 60,000 miles before I changed my JE5 brakes. I coast a lot, brake early, etc. But I also use my ACC a lot; it wears the brakes more than I would.

----------

Unless they find something wrong (sticky caliper, etc.) there's nothing to support a warranty claim. It wouldn't hurt to ask or negotiate but it would all be goodwill on their side.

malatu is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 3.6 AWD

Yes, in those parts of the woods, "hilly" is in fact a word. I suspect you know the meaning of "jagger bush".

Quote Originally Posted by ahamay115 View Post
    I'm from Erie, PA... not very hilly (if thats a word...)

The reason it seems to be excessive wear is that I am comparing it to my 06 Jeep Grand Cherokee, that I would consider to be a much heavier vehicle, and I got over 60k miles on those stock brakes. I would consider my braking on the Jeep to be much more severe, as I have driven it on several road trips thru the mountains and tow with it often. By comparison, these brakes on my Cadillac are pathetic!

willysmooo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS V-8 AWD ISG, Tuscany seats, per. cooling etc

100% they will replace...EVERYTHING on your car under wthe bumper to bumper is covered...everything including tires. Just FYI the brakes on my 07 wear very premature as well....I just did my 3rd set of full rotors and pads at 105k. They arent bad brakes and perform great, but compared to any other car I have had, these go bad far quicker than any other. But yes, bumper to bumper covers EVERYTHING....I had mine replaced at 45k from the dealer(fronts all new)....I went with Raybestos this time, saved a ton of money and the ceramic pads have no dust at all(GM OEM kicked dust ALL over everything).

caddyfat2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG w/ HUD-ACC

If I were you I would go with aftermarket products. Just last week I put drilled an slotted rotors on my car which I purchased off ebay with Autozone Gold brake pads. much better braking.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

I guess I wasn't thinking about the OEM warranty on a 2007. I know some members have had trouble getting the CPO honored for brake pads.

Let us know how you fare.

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

Quote Originally Posted by ahamay115 View Post
    Hey guys! Looking for some advice.

I've got an 07 STS v6 awd and the brake rotors and pads are all but worn out and I only have 25k miles on it. This seems a little premature, as I don't drive it very often or very hard when I do. The car is still under full factory warranty until August of this year, so do you think I have any ground to stand on for making a case to my local dealership? I know brakes are considered a wear item and are not usually covered under warranty, but are the stock rotors and pads really that terrible that they wear out this quickly and they squeal like mad!!

What are your guys' thoughts? Do I complain to my dealership and see if I can get anywhere? Are there better aftermarket packages suited for this car that will last longer than 25k miles?

Thanks in advance!!
    -Chris
    Don't understand how this vehicle can be under 4year/50K full factory warranty until Aug 2012 unless it wasn't put into service until Aug 2008. Unusual for a 2007. Must have sat on dealers lot for well over a year?

willysmooo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS V-8 AWD ISG, Tuscany seats, per. cooling etc

I put the Autozone pads on my car too....with raybestos rotors...excellent...and the ceramic pads are 60 bucks..and raybestos advance tech rotors are half the price of the OEM ones........shame to have a car and have the warranty expire and then something go wrong...I always use mine up and get as much free stuff as possible.....but your car is barely broken in...i would bet after almost 5 years those caliper pins are dried out no doubt. If your capable of jacking your car up and have a socket wrench and crescent wrench(just in case) it will take you an hour and cost you approx 180 bucks for 2 new rotors and pads....great equipment(not OEM, the rotors alone on mine were 170 a piece)....

bbjorklund99 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS

That does seem premature to burn the brakes in 25,000 miles. With that said I can say without a doubt that the brakes on my 06 STS are unbelievable at stopping the car. The OE brakes from what I understand are not as good as some of the aftermarket brake pads you get from the local parts store. I am just getting ready to replace my rears and I just turned 60,000 miles. I bought the car with 44,xxx miles so I am not sure if I am replacing the originals or the second set.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.