2008 Cadillac STS / Northstar questions...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 2008 Cadillac STS / Northstar questions... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi Guys, I am usually checking stuff out in our EXT forums but am haveing thoughts of tradeing in my ...
    Darrens_LS-5 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade EXT

Talking 2008 Cadillac STS / Northstar questions...

Hi Guys, I am usually checking stuff out in our EXT forums but am haveing thoughts of tradeing in my 07 escalade EXT with all the bells and whistles for a 2008 Cadillac STS with the V8 Northstar engine in it. Can someone educate me or interject as to why I should or shouldnt seek this one out as I am not up to date on my STS's and if it's sort of a rare Caddy or not. Here is a rundown and what I am finding out but just need to know some more info as I want something different than the everyday 3.6 not that there is anything wrong with that model but just wanting something different.
    It is a 2008 4dr Red automatic with the V8 Northstar 4.6 in it, comes fully loaded with Nav and DVD and all the bells and whistles too inc Cadillac 18" wheels in chrome on the front and 19" chrome on the rear with emblem in the centercaps and is a Rear wheel drive.Not a mark on it and the original owner is selling it with only 60,000kms on it or 30,000miles, claims he paid 64,000 now wants 24,000. I have looked around on Edmonds.com and some other sites but cant help but see mostly all wheel drive 3.6 STS's out there and no others in a V8 rear wheel drive that is loaded.?? is this model a keeper or stay away from as there are not too many out there and parts are hard to come by.??? Thanks for any input. Darren.
    PS the reason to sell the EXT is Cadillac just finished putting in a Brand New engine in it NOT rebuilt but new due to the typical Deisel sound we get in that engine it was so frustraing for so long with neighbours thinking it was a deisel so finnallly Cadillac said its New Engine time as its still under warranty and I figured now would be the best time to sell it with a brand new engine in it...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Re: 2008 Cadillac STS / Northstar questions...

There are three V8 trim levels and even though the seller claims it's 'loaded' it may not have such treats as HUD, HID headlights, Automatic dimming brights, Adaptive Cruise, Magnetic Ride Conbtrol, etc.

Anybody can say anything. Get the VIN and have a dealer run a build sheet. There's a label on the spare tire cover with all the RPO codes. The VIN should match.

1SG is the top trim level and often has:
    FE3 - MAGNETIC RIDE CONTROL
    GU5 - AXLE REAR, 3.23 RATIO
    IL3 - PREMIUM TUSCANY LEATHER SEATS
    JE5 - 17" PERFORMANCE BRAKES
    K59 - ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL INCLUDES HEAD-UP DISPLAY
    KA6 - HEATED SEATS, REAR
    KB6 - HEATED/VENTILATED FRONT SEATS
    MV3 - ALL WHEEL DRIVE
    N31 - HEATED, WOOD STEERING WHEEL
    N87 - 18" POLISHED ALUMINUM WHEELS
    NV7 - PREMIUM ZF STEERING GEAR
    T43 - REAR SPOILER
    TQ5 - INTELLIBEAM AUTO HIGH BEAM CONTROL
    TT6 - HIGH INTENSITY DISCHARGE (HID) HEADLAMPS
    UV6 - RECONFIGURABLE HEAD UP DISPLAY
    UY5 - 15 SPEAKER SYSTEM
    V03 - PERFORMANCE COOLING PACKAGE
    YQ4 - BOSE 5.1 STUDIO SURROUND SOUND WITH IN-DASH 6 DISC DVD CHANGER AND ADVANCED DVD NAVIGATION

----------

PS: Test drive some different trim levels before buying!

Thank you Sir, that is the exact reply I am looking for I would also like to hear from anyone who has one of those 3 different models to hear their input on likes and dislikes on their car. Just trying to do as much homework as I can before jumping in.I will start with the VIN search and go from there and check back in... Darren.

1BadCadSTS is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    No way that car has staggered oems with 18/19 split. Only vs got that and clearly this isn't a v as it is red. Vs came in black silver and blueish silver.

willysmooo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS V-8 AWD ISG, Tuscany seats, per. cooling etc

You have 18" wheels....the back ones(just like mine) are a bit fatter and lower profile. I have an 07 fully loaded..with mag ride, tuscany seats, performance cooling, performance brakes(although the ceramic duralast are 60 bucks per set and far better than the $180.00 OEM pads cause they give no dust). Its a great car, I have had issue, but nothing out of ordinary. What I would say to you however is, dont buy it from him plain and simple..go to a caddy dealer and get it CPO'ed. Meaning pay the cretified warranty. It might cost you 2k or so..but WELL, WELL,WELL worth it. I used mine a TON. it covers basically everything(besides leather and trim). You are still under the 50k bumper to bumper as well and 100k powertrain, but the CPO covers, ball joints, suspension stuff...all electronics....on and on and on(besides your shocks)...WELL WELL worth it.

KRSTS is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

Find out the in-service date. Most 2008's are out of or getting very close to being out of factory warranty by age, and cannot get a CPO or GMPP if factory warranty has expired.

cadillacmike68 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brg, 09 STS N* Platinum, 11 CTS Premium

While 1SG might be the top of the three 1S-whatever option packages, the first two (1SB & 1SC) were V6 only option packages and the 1Sg for V8s did not include IL3 - tuscany Leather seats.

That was reserved for the Ultimate STS option package which is the W21 Platinum Edition. This brought the 18" chrome wheels, Alcantra sueded headliner, all leather interior (not just the seats), olive ash wood interior, etc.. It also REQURED the 1SG option, and was not allowed on any fleet or rental sales orders.

You also could not get the platinum package with the Summer tire & wheel performance package (which features the 6 lug wheels, brembo brakes & summer only tires) and a Platinum ed on the same car.

That said, a 1SG V8 STS will get you 95% of what you are looking for. It includes everyhing that Echas3 listed except the tuscany seats, and AWD. The Tuscany were part of W21 and the AWd option was a separately available option on any STS that didi'nt have the summer T&W performance package.

There was NO 19" wheel option in the STS for 2008, 2009, or 2010 (or 2011 for that matter but 2011s had no V8 either).

----------

Quote Originally Posted by willysmooo View Post
    You have 18" wheels....the back ones(just like mine) are a bit fatter and lower profile. I have an 07 fully loaded..with mag ride, tuscany seats, performance cooling, performance brakes(although the ceramic duralast are 60 bucks per set and far better than the $180.00 OEM pads cause they give no dust). Its a great car, I have had issue, but nothing out of ordinary. What I would say to you however is, dont buy it from him plain and simple..go to a caddy dealer and get it CPO'ed. Meaning pay the cretified warranty. It might cost you 2k or so..but WELL, WELL,WELL worth it. I used mine a TON. it covers basically everything(besides leather and trim). You are still under the 50k bumper to bumper as well and 100k powertrain, but the CPO covers, ball joints, suspension stuff...all electronics....on and on and on(besides your shocks)...WELL WELL worth it.
    Willy, He can ONLY do this if 1: it still has time left on the 48 months from the original in-service date, and 2: if he can get the seller and a local Cadillac dealer to do a 3 way trade-sell, that being the seller "trades" it to the dealer who "certifies" it and sells it to the Op. That would be an interesting negotiation, but there might be some room in it for the seller and the dealer. The Dealer would have to go through it and this wouls cost approx $2,000 as you said (plus any items that might need replacing like brakes or tires if they are abronmally worn) and they are going to want to make money, so someone will have to give.

The $24,000 being asked by the seller might have give a bit and Darren would definitely have to fork over some more $$$, but it would be worth it. I like my STS more every time i get in it.

Darren, look for this:

A W21 RPO code in the trunk, suede headlining, real leather door and center console trim, "platinum" on the door sill plates. If the car has these plus the 18" factory chrome wheels (not poished - you need to check closely) then you're looking at a Platinum ed V8 STS - a rare find and well worth the asking price.

Thanks for the posting reply Mike, I did as Echas3 suggested and I went by the STS and got the VIN number off of it and went to the Cadillac dealer thats putting in the new engine in the EXT but they were reluctant about giving out any info on it as they said thems the rules. So I have a guy on the hook for the EXT private sale when its done and then called Oshawa Ont on the STS and got a way better reception based on chating with them on the EXT work being done too. They claim that for $74.00cdn they can get me the history print out and a copy of the option list printed out that would match whats in the car. The girl only confirmed it was a Customer Ordered car and not a Dealer Order car for sale on the lot which means you can order whatever options almost that you want on it weather its a V car or not to some cost extent and weather its availible., the car was ordered with the 18" Chrome wheels not polished and the performance brake upgrade and the rear wheel drive. HID Headlamps concert sound system which makes sense as everywhere you look there are speakers even in the seat on either side of the head rests and the 6 disc DVD CD Nav system and the color combo and various other options which will be on the RPO print out if I bought it. on the steering wheel and around the console and Nav it has the same plastic woodgrain like in my EXT inc on the shifter handle too but on the doors it is not plastic woodgrain it is real wood with a different grain to it but definately real wood plus leather everywhere too that you look. The chrome wheels are Not a 6 bolt as you mention but are still a 5 bolt, the interior is a Light Slate grey color not charcoal or the dark grey and the red paint is a deep red not a garnet red but yet not a light red like other CTS's or STS's I have seen.???? to the left of the steering wheel on the dash next to the heater vent there appears to be a dimmer knob to adjust the dash lights and above it 2 verical switches that show AB and then a horizon Pic and 0.0 on the bottom and the other is a "I" in the middle lower buttons show a EM on one and a cant really make it out but looks like a pedal pic on it, nice to see heated front and rear seats too in it. Maybe I 'll see where he stands on the $$$$ value and take it from there before doing to much on the EXT.??? Thanks for all the help and more info is always cool. sorry to be brief or if I have left out any info but as mentioned I am not up to date on the STS's..... Darren.

KRSTS is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

If he is still within the 48 months from in-service date he can get a GMPP from just about any GM dealer and extend it out a lot further than a CPO. I have a 2008 CPO with 47K and was just quoted $2600. for a 48/48 GMPP extension with $100 deductible.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

There used to be some members on the CTS forum who would run a VIN. If you look around, you might find someone.

By the way, you don't need a Platinum to get:

IL3 - PREMIUM TUSCANY LEATHER SEATS

My 1SG's got 'em.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.