Sticking Shifter
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Sticking Shifter in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Frequently, I can't get the button to depress when I'm trying to shift out of park. Is there something I'm ...
    maiahsdad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 STS AWD 1SG

Sticking Shifter

Frequently, I can't get the button to depress when I'm trying to shift out of park. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

willysmooo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS V-8 AWD ISG, Tuscany seats, per. cooling etc

Re: Sticking Shifter

There may be an issue with your brake push and releasing the shifter.....If you pull the little chrome piece at the base of the shifter straight down...there is a little star key screw you can unscrew to get the shift knob off....you can look from there...its a plastic piece that looks like a straw and it functions to release the shift lock....I have taken my whole shift assembly apart just for laughs....and then just replaced the linkage which fixed it 100%, but your issue if prob different...might be a bad reaction from the brake to shiftlock.

cadillacmike68 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brg, 09 STS N* Platinum, 11 CTS Premium

Are you parking on any sort of incline? If so, use the parking brake to hold the car.

maiahsdad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 STS AWD 1SG
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillacmike68
    Are you parking on any sort of incline? If so, use the parking brake to hold the car.
    Same driveway all the time. This happens on level surface as well. If I continue to click the shifter button over and over, eventually it will depress and allow me to shift out of park.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

There is an ermergecy release but you need this fixed. I'd have the assembly replaced.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.