STS Shopping please give me your opinions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, STS Shopping please give me your opinions in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I own a 97 STS and I love the car but the transmission ate itself with just under 150K on ...
    zek4964 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 cts 68k, 07 STS-V 15K, 97 Sts 160k

STS Shopping please give me your opinions

I own a 97 STS and I love the car but the transmission ate itself with just under 150K on it. I am looking at 08 and newer STS's I am trying to get one for less than 25K with under 45k miles. I would prefer a V8 but would settle for a V6 with all the options. I have been pricing the V's but the ones in my price range have about 60K miles on them and Im not sure about how they were driven with that amount of miles on them but dam they are nice. I am wondering if the V6 is enough for the size car it is or if it suffers less MPG because of the power.

Things that I am aware of are the seat rails need to be replaced on some models but not sure what years they were. Also it seems to be hard to find a V8 AWD did they make them? There are a lot of v6 AWD out there. What are the different packages if someone has a list like 1sc ect. I want the Bose and nav, wondering what the sport package codes are as well.

I live in Northern Illinois and the rear wheel drive would be a concern during the winter months. I also plan on lock picking the Nav if anyone has done that please opine. Thanks for your help in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Greg00coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 STS

Re: STS Shopping please give me your opinions

You probably want the AWD unless you opt for snow tires w RWD. Power all depends how hard you drive. If you don't hammer it the engine is less important. Lots of deals out there, take your time.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Test drive some with different trim levels. They can vary a lot.

Then shop for one equipped as you want. I wanted ACC (radar cruise). Good snow tires (Blizzaks are popular with members) mitigate the need for AWD.

MacMuse is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS N* 1SE

Chicagoland here. V8, RWD. Blizzaks for 3 seasons/35K miles and still no issues with the tires and winter travel. Highly recommend them for a RWD car in urban (i.e., well-plowed) winters.

My seat rail issue was a recall item. In hard turns the driver seat would actually slide a bit in the turn. Wasn't a replace issue, they just added some shims to stabilize it.

It is my opinion that AWD is one more thing to break as the car gets older and the risk is not worth the reward when it breaks. I think the AWD's get worse gas milage too. I am much more likley to take members advice rather than asking the sales guy. You all know hoe that goes. Do the STS's have a 5 year 100K power train warrenty on them?

cadillacmike68 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brg, 09 STS N* Platinum, 11 CTS Premium

I have the exact same opinion on AWD - essentially a more costly repair eventually, nothing more. but i live in Florida, and have no need for AWD. (don't ask why my wife has an AWD CTS!!!).

You should be able to find a V6 AWD or a V8 RWD within that price range. 2010 was the last year for V8, and they are HARD to find. V8 AWD will be exrtremely hard to find. I used autotrader and searched for "within 300 miles" to find my 2009 Platinum ed V8, and its value seems to be continually dropping. no matter to me since this car is a keeper. If you are looking for a V8 AWD, you ight need to to an 'unlimited miles from' search.

The seat rails / tracks, in addition to sliding would just mess up the gears / motors requiring replacement. Both of mine needed replacing as soon as i bought it. the Adaptive cruise control was bad from the get go as well, but i finally got that fixed.

No other issues.

Try to find a 2008 with a little warranty left or better yet one that is CPO, because when something breaks in a late model STS - it can and will get Expensive fast.

Be advised that many STS were prior rentals, nothing really wrong with that, but the rentals are speed limited by the computer at order / build time.

These are more refined cars than CTS and are quieter even with a sunroof. With the V8 they are also quite powerful.

Yes, V8 AWD mileage sucks. I simply don't care. It's like a tank through the snow and never slips on wet roads. (I was disappointed in the lack of snow this winter.)

My wife's RWD V8 has gotten 25MPG when cruising I-65 at 80MPH. YMMV

Her car is quicker. I think a V6 AWD would be slow... about like a normal car.

That is my idea of an AWD v6 as well that it will get so so gas milage and not be enough power for the car. My wife has a rear wheel drive CTS 08 so I am skiddish about getting two rear wheel drive cars. I think Im going to try to find a v8 for sure but they are kind of hard to find. When did the seat rail issue start (model years) and are all model years a recall issue? This is somthing that needs to be done if I purchase due to the fact that a person with an 06 and as person with an 09 commented on the seat rail issue.
    I did not know the last year for a v8 was 2010 good info>>>> Thanks.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    05 is the most common year for v8s. Early production assumed a 75/25 split v8/v6. It ended up being the opposite.

The seat rail issue is a tsb not a recall. All years are effected.

malatu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 3.6 AWD

I drive the all wheel drive v-6. I'm very happy with it's power.

You really won't know for sure what suits you until you drive one for yourself.

cadillacmike68 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brg, 09 STS N* Platinum, 11 CTS Premium

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post
    05 is the most common year for v8s. Early production assumed a 75/25 split v8/v6. It ended up being the opposite.

The seat rail issue is a tsb not a recall. All years are effected.
    Well, GM priced the V8 STS into the stratosphere, that's why the split was reversed. what were they thinking of???

TSB means not a guaranteed warranty repair (unless you are in warranty, of course). If you but an out if warranty STS that hasn't been fixed, then you would have to get a dealer to agree to correct it for you.

While the v6 is no slouch, the V8 is preferred by many on this forum. I think there's too many lead foots here.

Not all seats wiggle. The procedure doesn't sound that bad. I think there's a link in the 'Stickey' thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.