Broken Glovebox handle, need part #/advice
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Broken Glovebox handle, need part #/advice in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Good Morning, well last week I went to open my glovebox and the handle broke. I can't close my glovebox ...
    Relate27 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS4 1SB

Broken Glovebox handle, need part #/advice

Good Morning,

well last week I went to open my glovebox and the handle broke. I can't close my glovebox and my car is out of factory warranty. I have a 3rd party warranty but I have not called to see if they cover trim pieces. Anyway I took the glovebox apart and I would like to know how much it would cost to replace the glovebox handle. Also what do I do about the lock cylinder and the new matching my key ? Thanks for your help !

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

Re: Broken Glovebox handle, need part #/advice

Common in these cars - happened to me, however dealer replaced under warranty. Probably have to get part from GM but should be an easy replacement.

CTBB is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS N* 1SF

Not an expensive part. Try gmpartsdirect.com Enter catalog, then Model/yr/etc then Body Hardware then Instrument Panel then Glove Box then Handle. I would surmise the lock cylinder could be swapped into the new handle.

Glenn

willysmooo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS V-8 AWD ISG, Tuscany seats, per. cooling etc

Same on mine...part is cheap...Ive looked it up but just have it super glued for now...but gmpartsdepartment had it for like $36 or gmpartsdirect....I use gmparts department because #1 parts come within days, #2 when you calculate shipping at gmpartsdirect, gmpartsdepartment is ALWAYS less out the door.

Perfect thanks for replies, guys I appreciate it. The service advisor told me it would be like $200 bucks to fix. The part online is like $25 bucks.. The only other question I have is how in thw world do I get the lock cylinder out of the old one and into the new one ?

willysmooo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS V-8 AWD ISG, Tuscany seats, per. cooling etc

If you look at it(your broke the same as mine) you dont actually need a new lock cylinder....just the tab that holds it in...however you would have to get those pegs in the new hole from the cylinder....and im not sure if they sell them seperate....give your VIN and probably they have the lock that will fit the key....I never use my glovebox cause it sucks and shit comes sliding out. On mine I was actually thinking of cutting a zip tie (something to create the bottom of the loop) and supergluing and using eyeglass screws to secure it to the outside of the loop.....thats what I was thinking...cause it only needs to hold that tab and rotate when u pull the handle to open.

deucedude2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS

Replaced mine a little while back, the new latch does not come with key cyl. You take out your old one and re-use it. Don't remember exactly... but I think you put the key in turn it until a tab lines up in slot on side of plastic latch and put a small screwdriver in slot next to cyl and rotate it or push in or something. There was a little trick... but just took a minute to figure out. Not hard at all, and the whole thing comes out of lid with 2 maybe three screws, I forget. I don't get to check site much anymore but I'll look back to see if you need more help if I can. Get the latch you'll figure it out. 200.00 for a five minute job is crazy!
    Good Luck!

----------

Just to be clear, you take the whole latch out of the lid by removing screws and then remove the lock cyl from the latch while its in your hand in front of you. easy peasy.

Go to Cad vendors on this site Chris at Rippy's will hook you up w P# and good deal, have VIN handy

Oh BTW thanks again for everyone's help. Finally got the part from my dealership and it was $40 bucks total. I supposed I could have gotten it for $20 online but with shipping and delivery times, it was more cinvient for me to pick it up this weeekend. Anyway it's nice to have a glovebox again that closes even though I can fit anything into the damn glovebox lol..

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

I'm glad to see another owner that has pride in his STS and takes care of the little things. I know some people that would have just slapped a piece of duct tape on it to hold it up.

CTBB is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS N* 1SF

And we all know you meant you CAN'T fit anything in it too. Heck, Owner's Manual won't even fit!!

Glenn

Lol ya my bad, Nothing fits into that damn glovebox . Heck when I open it everything slides out onto the floor. But yes I had to fix the glovebox It looked super ghetto to have my glovebox just laying open. I took a co-worker to lunch on Friday and I was so embarrassed that my glovebox was just hanging open, It's nice to be able to close my glovebox again. I also tried Duct tape when the glovebox first broke but I have so much damn armor all on the glovebox there was no way the tape was sticking lol.. I do take pride in my cadillac and I am a very happy Cadillac owner, thanks again to everyone that replied and I hope you enjoy your caddies as much as I do mine !

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

My pencil-style tire gauge fits!

But seriously, there's a slot for the owners manual but adding the Nav manual is too much. It's a shame they didn't design a roomy glovebox. There is plenty of room behind the dash,

Dan Reilly is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by KRSTS View Post
    Common in these cars - happened to me, however dealer replaced under warranty. Probably have to get part from GM but should be an easy replacement.
    part is about 40.00 two screws to take out and cylinder. Remove both screws and when latch is in your hand insert key into cylinder..... There is a window on the side of cylinder housing ....turn key all the way until spring mechanism appears in window......I used a nail set to depress the spring and the continue to turn cylinder with the key......cylinder should just slide out......replace old cylinder in new latch and screw back in.....done and done !!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.