STS Voice Commands Voice Recognition Issues
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, STS Voice Commands Voice Recognition Issues in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I just bought a 2009 STS and I haven't had any luck trying to get the voice commands to work. ...
    swangin50 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

STS Voice Commands Voice Recognition Issues

I just bought a 2009 STS and I haven't had any luck trying to get the voice commands to work. I have the button on the right side of the steering wheel. I press button, guy says speak after beep or whatever and after I speak, he says pardon? He does it a couple more times and then says command not reconized or something like that.

Is there a way to reset it or anything?

Or any other suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Re: STS Voice Commands Voice Recognition Issues

It takes some practice and isn't really ready for the real world.

1. Make sure the windows are up & the fan is low or off.
    2. Speak softer, not louder.
    3. Do not stretch out your words.
    4. Some members claim that people who speak in a higher register should set it to the female voice.
    5. 'Navi Help' will display the commands.
    6. The Nav firmware upgrade does help (but it's still this cars weakest feature).

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

It's generally terrible. In your case, there is no firmware upgrade (your STS is too new and will have the most recent version). It takes a lot of practice and most people find it just isn't worth the effort. Too bad, because it's a nice idea.

Voice commands are stored on the map DVD. I wish they would work a little bit on this because it should be possible to make improvements. Given that the car is now out of production, I wouldn't hold my breath that this will ever happen.

Male users should select the male voice option. Female users should select the female option. GM has issued an information bulletin suggesting this may improve performance. Don't get too excited though, it won't magically fix all the VR problems with this system.

malatu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 3.6 AWD

I figured out how to use mine .... and it works perfectly for me 100% or the time. I simply don't use it!

swangin50 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I will give it a shot. I already tried cussing it out and it didn't help lol.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

a member reported recently that if you speak at the window that it hears him perfectly
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

I also recall an early member post describing how he re-mounted the microphone to the headliner by his left ear. He claimed improvements to VR and a callers audio experience.

A Lockpick is a better investment.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.