it's on its way
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, it's on its way in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have made my decision to go with the V-8 1SF package STS, redline exteriror with cashmere interior. below are ...
    jsmoov24 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

it's on its way

I have made my decision to go with the V-8 1SF package STS, redline exteriror with cashmere interior. below are a list of accessories that I am having the dealer install:
    1. front mesh grill
    2. gold emblems from vogue tyre
    3. double-gold pin stripes on each side
    4. 39 Pc V8 Luxury Lt Eucalyptus wood trim kit from vogue tyre
    5. Stainless Steel Pillar Post Covers from vogue tyre
    I have already ordered a cadillac front plate, its a chrome plate with a gold caddy emblem and also 2 chrome plate frames with the word Cadillac in gold. I will get a smoke tint for the windows (35%) and a set of 21" Lowenhart LD1 wheels. the dealer told me yesterday that they found a couple of cars at a few local dealers and I should be able to take delivery by Wednesday of nest week, right before Thanksgiving (I can show off to family and friends )
    I have decided that the days of custom stereo systems and subwoofers have come to an end, the Bose surround system sounds great!! please share some of your experiences with those who have the car so far, I can't wait!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jworkmans is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: it's on its way

CONGRATS on your decision!

I love my 1SG/K59 - outside of a few rather irritating "peculiarities".

One word of advice, tho: Caddy specifically says NOT to tint the windows if you have the nav system cuz it can interfere with the GPS stuff. I'm not exactly sure why - it's just what I read. I talked to a motorhead friend of mine and he says that some tints have a metallic component and they interfere with lots of signals - cellphone, gps, XM, etc. If you get a tint that has no metallic particles in it you may be OK.

Sounds like you're gonna bling your ride pretty good. When you get it all spiffed up how bout posting a pic?

I, too, have the 15.1DD and it rox! The CenterPoint feature is really intriguing in how it "images" the sound - and it interfaces with XM beautifully. This is one area in which this car is truly outstanding - best in the marketplace, IMHO.

Best of luck with your new STS!

John

thanks jworkmans i will definitely post pics when I receive. I actually may add some red piping in the interior to give it a sporty look. it will be different. wow that sucks about the window tinting, has anyone else heard anything about tinting windows if you have the navigation system??

I was able to find the specific reference to the window tinting. The "2005 Cadillac STS Navigation Book", page 2-59, says:

"This system may not be available/or interference may occur of the following occurs:
    (Items deleted here for clarity)
    - After-market glass tinting has been applied to the vehicles windows"

This is exactly as Cadillac shows it (without the deletions) in the manual. Now, whether or not they're correct or blowing smoke is up to interpretation. And, like my gearhead friend said, the likely culprit here will be the presence of metallic particles in your tinting material.

Hope the reference is helpful!

John

Quote Originally Posted by jworkmans
    I was able to find the specific reference to the window tinting. The "2005 Cadillac STS Navigation Book", page 2-59, says:

"This system may not be available/or interference may occur of the following occurs:
    (Items deleted here for clarity)
    - After-market glass tinting has been applied to the vehicles windows"

This is exactly as Cadillac shows it (without the deletions) in the manual. Now, whether or not they're correct or blowing smoke is up to interpretation. And, like my gearhead friend said, the likely culprit here will be the presence of metallic particles in your tinting material.

Hope the reference is helpful!

John
    thanks John, this tells me not to even try... wow this car is so technically advanced you can't even tint the windows

eamc is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question Re: it's on its way

What are the irritating peculiarities??

Dressel is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have my windows tinted to 35% and have not had any problems with nav or cell operation, Luminar is the product that was used.

Quote Originally Posted by Dressel
    I have my windows tinted to 35% and have not had any problems with nav or cell operation, Luminar is the product that was used.
    hey thanks for the info, thats the exact tint I want and u definitely have no problems?? I will visit a couple of tint shops to see if they have that Luminar tint film available..

Quote Originally Posted by eamc
    What are the irritating peculiarities??
    Eamc,

While I do love the car overall, I am noticing a lot of electronic "glitches" that shouldn't really be happening. I'm a programmer by trade (equities and financial industries) so I tend to notice "anomalies" and immediately try all the root-cause-analysis stuff they teach at programmer school. Some of the oddities I've noticed:

- Rearview Mirror (driver-side) does a wild up/down-left/right dance when you put the car in reverse. It's almost like the down-to-curb feature all of a sudden got an x-axis component - or the mirror is possessed. I didn't even know the mirror was supposed to do anything in reverse....mine does The Mirror Dance.

- Voice Control is simply horrible. I have a very flat, midwestern speech pattern, speak very clearly (lots of public speaking will cause that) and have good tonal quality. In other words the car shouldn't have a lot of trouble understanding me. I am successful with commands only about 30% of the time - the rest of my requests usually involve stuff getting changed that doesn't even remotely resemble what I said. I recently said "RADIO SELECT 150 XM" (using the phraseology from the manual) and it set the temperature to 70.5 degrees. The list of screwups is lengthy.

- HUD. My HUD, when in nav mode, will display a distance-to-turn, say 2.0 miles, and a decreasing-size bar, indicating distance to event. The on-screen nav keeps dropping the miles (2.0, 1.9, 1.8, etc), yet the HUD still shows the original 2.0 and the bar is shrinking. So, it seems like I still have 2.0 miles to the event - even tho that's simply illogical. Furthermore, sometimes the HUD and nav screen display a different distance from the start. The HUD may say 1.0 miles and the nav will say 0.5 miles - at the same time (as opposed to different count-down miles). Confusing to say the least.

- Back-up sensors seem to work intermittently. My 04' SRX had the backup sensors down to an art - they worked flawlessly. The ones in the STS only work about 80% of the time - and then they're a bit unreliable. I've even asked my wife to get out (when we're in the parking garage at home) to help me manually figure out how reliable the sensors are. Pretty scary when you figure that our bumpers are painted and whacking a wall will cost some $eriou$ buxx to repaint.

- CD/DVD changer is excruciatingly slow. I made the mistake of popping an old CD which is scratched - it plays in some players but not others. It took the system almost 10 minutes of hunting before it decided to mark the disc as unreadable. When I tried to eject it the unit went kind of electronic bonkers and I had to turn the car OFF and restart it before it would work properly.

I have some overall gripes about some engineering short-sightedness, but those are really personal preferences. I've had to shut off the HUD until I get a better "feel" for the car because I've had too many near-misses in traffic by being distracted with the stuff in the display. Once I get a good feel for where the wheels are on the pavement and become more in-tune with the car, then I'll turn the HUD back on.

I hope this litany is a little bit helpful. In Cadillac's defense, there's an awful lot of new/enhanced technology in this beastie, and they've done a generally good job. However, it's painfully apparent that, in a number of cases, the programmers and engineers should have spent a little more time making the car "crashproof" (No, not sheetmetal crashproof, but digitally stable) and that some of the technology is a bit immature. That's the "early adopter" price we pay I guess.

Regards,

John

jsf
    jsf is offline Cadillac Owners Member

My STS 1SG is due to arrive next week and I was concerned about the window tinting issue. A company neamed " Formular One " has a new tinting film that should solve this problem; it's their Pinnacle Series and I think only available at Formular one. This film is made for just this problem.

eamc is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hi jworkmans,

Thanks for your detailed reply. I am not a programmer, but the symptoms you describe are pretty chilling. What does your dealer/repair department say when confronted with this list?

The voice recognition bothers me least of all (I have gotten Dragon Nat Speak'g, that went bellyup) to work flawlessly for me, but only with prolonged training. The other items, though, give one pause.

Edwin M.

Quote Originally Posted by eamc
    Hi jworkmans,

Thanks for your detailed reply. I am not a programmer, but the symptoms you describe are pretty chilling. What does your dealer/repair department say when confronted with this list?

The voice recognition bothers me least of all (I have gotten Dragon Nat Speak'g, that went bellyup) to work flawlessly for me, but only with prolonged training. The other items, though, give one pause.

Edwin M.
    Edwin,

So far I haven't addressed any of the electronic issues with the dealer. Primarily, I haven't had time because the car has already been in the shop once (It was flat-bedded because of a faulty power-steering pump - at 187 miles on the odo) and that took 4 days. During which I got the distinct pleasure of driving an Oldsmobile....Fun Fun Fun.

I'm also delaying a bit before I take these electronic issues to the dealer until I have more descriptive information. I've found (irrespective of which dealership I use) the technicians who work on the cars to be either bloody incompetent or arrogant to high hell.

The incompetent ones are pretty much a dime-a-dozen and are about what I expect in this industry. No surprises there.

The arrogant ones are the flame, about 3 feet high, which burns my butt.

When I tell them what's wrong, the situations under which it occurs, and how I either work around or with the problem - and they have the sheer audacity to say "No Problem Found" (or other such pablum), it just hacks me off. So, I now prepare a detailed, WRITTEN report, which I provide to the dealer and a copy for my files. Unfortunately, I've been bitten twice by lemons (and got them repurchased, both Fords) so I automatically assume that every car is a potential lemon and hafta act like a slimy attorney all the time.

Once I get my "Defect Report" completed - which will probably take a couple more weeks of observation - I'll take it in, demand the service staff use the document, and then wait for the fireworks to begin.

At this point, however, none of the issues I describe really affect usability, safety or resale, so I'm not getting too crazy about having them fixed. Sometimes all the techs do is make the problem worse, or introduce yet another issue I have to deal with.

FWIW, I still think this car is worth having. I suspect many of the issues I'm having are "First Year Blues" and will likely be addressed. I also realize that I'm picky to the point of being anal retentive - so take my comments with a grain of salt (OK, maybe the Bonneville Salt Flats). If I had it to do over I would still buy this car. Even with the problems I mentioned it's still one SCHWEET ride and well worth keeping in my driveway.

Regards,

John

it's finally here, I took delivery of my new 2005 STS last night. I will post pics later, its raining here in Jersey today and is supposed to until tomorrow morning. I will wax it up and then take pictures and then post. I decided not to let the dealer install all of those accessories as I was able to find an aftermarket shop that can do it a lot cheaper. I had them paint a double gold pinstripe on both sides of the car.. i'm getting a lot of looks..

msheri01 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by jworkmans
    Edwin,

So far I haven't addressed any of the electronic issues with the dealer. Primarily, I haven't had time because the car has already been in the shop once (It was flat-bedded because of a faulty power-steering pump - at 187 miles on the odo) and that took 4 days. During which I got the distinct pleasure of driving an Oldsmobile....Fun Fun Fun.

I'm also delaying a bit before I take these electronic issues to the dealer until I have more descriptive information. I've found (irrespective of which dealership I use) the technicians who work on the cars to be either bloody incompetent or arrogant to high hell.

The incompetent ones are pretty much a dime-a-dozen and are about what I expect in this industry. No surprises there.

The arrogant ones are the flame, about 3 feet high, which burns my butt.

When I tell them what's wrong, the situations under which it occurs, and how I either work around or with the problem - and they have the sheer audacity to say "No Problem Found" (or other such pablum), it just hacks me off. So, I now prepare a detailed, WRITTEN report, which I provide to the dealer and a copy for my files. Unfortunately, I've been bitten twice by lemons (and got them repurchased, both Fords) so I automatically assume that every car is a potential lemon and hafta act like a slimy attorney all the time.

Once I get my "Defect Report" completed - which will probably take a couple more weeks of observation - I'll take it in, demand the service staff use the document, and then wait for the fireworks to begin.

At this point, however, none of the issues I describe really affect usability, safety or resale, so I'm not getting too crazy about having them fixed. Sometimes all the techs do is make the problem worse, or introduce yet another issue I have to deal with.

FWIW, I still think this car is worth having. I suspect many of the issues I'm having are "First Year Blues" and will likely be addressed. I also realize that I'm picky to the point of being anal retentive - so take my comments with a grain of salt (OK, maybe the Bonneville Salt Flats). If I had it to do over I would still buy this car. Even with the problems I mentioned it's still one SCHWEET ride and well worth keeping in my driveway.

Regards,

John
    May I suggest you ask the dealer for a copy of the diagnostic worksheet? GM has developed a multi-page worksheet for the exact situation you describe. It is available to all GM dealers. They may have to print it out of the policy and procedure manual if they do not have a ready copy. Can be very useful especially with intermittent problems. Many customers do not like to be bothered with it, but for some customers it is the preferred way to track concerns. Just a suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by msheri01
    May I suggest you ask the dealer for a copy of the diagnostic worksheet? GM has developed a multi-page worksheet for the exact situation you describe. It is available to all GM dealers. They may have to print it out of the policy and procedure manual if they do not have a ready copy. Can be very useful especially with intermittent problems. Many customers do not like to be bothered with it, but for some customers it is the preferred way to track concerns. Just a suggestion.
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I didn't know such a form existed, but you can bet I'll be at the Caddy dealer this weekend asking for one. I'll make beaucoup copies and fill one out for every trip to the service department.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.