it's on its way - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, it's on its way in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi jworkman - I was thinking about your dance of the rear view mirror. It seems to me that if ...
    eamc is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: it's on its way

Hi jworkman - I was thinking about your dance of the rear view mirror. It seems to me that if the mirror rotates back and forth in the x plane, as you describe, this would be a good way to see more of what is behind you. Lexus and BMW's have their outside mirrors flip down in the y plane, but I think a wider angle of view for the rear view mirror itself would be a good thing?

Edwin M.

jworkmans is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by eamc
    Hi jworkman - I was thinking about your dance of the rear view mirror. It seems to me that if the mirror rotates back and forth in the x plane, as you describe, this would be a good way to see more of what is behind you. Lexus and BMW's have their outside mirrors flip down in the y plane, but I think a wider angle of view for the rear view mirror itself would be a good thing?

Edwin M.
    Edwin,

With regard to the OSRV and the x-plane, I kinda thought the same thing: I could see more of what's behind me - or at least more than I would otherwise see if the mirror were stationary or only went up-n-down.

I've read the manuals (all jillion pages) and can't find any references to Caddy doing this on purpose. The other thought I had was to see if I could correlate the x-movements to how I'm turning the wheel when I back into a parking space. It would be exceptionally useful if the x-movements were reverse-coordinated to the wheel movements so that I could "look-into" the place where I'm gonna be putting the rear end of the car.

Of course, I could be WAY overanalyzing this whole thing and the mirror could be kaput....or possessed!

Either way, it's something I'm learning to live with and may prove to be useful.

Regards,

John

Crozier is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

John,

It's refreshing to come to a message board and read of glitches in somebody's car without all the emotion and pumped up flames that usually accompany such problems. Thanks for systematically addressing your issues while describing how you personally look at errors.
    I've been looking at this car for some time and plan on getting one sometime soon. After reading about the troubles you've had with this car, I now feel very safe about getting a first year vehicle. Those small issues seem very acceptable to me in a high gadget first attempt.
    I continue to be impressed with Cadillac's new product and their build quality. While both of my brothers continue to be die hard german car buyers, they end up looking pretty silly. One brother has a 04 BMW 745i. Every time I see him drive I figure that he must have traded his car in on a different bimmer because he CONSTANTLY has a loaner vehicle. In three months of ownership they've had FOUR computers in it replaced. The entire i-drive system has failed, and he's been in no stalled out/walk home situations twice.
    My other brother (in-law) has an E55 AMG. He had a transmission rebuild at 2000 miles and then his re differential completely locked up when he was driving it. Everyone is thankful that he was only going about 15 mph in a parking lot when it happened!
    In any event, difficult voice recognition seems like the error to have if you can pick and choose....
    Thanks again!

jworkmans is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Crozier
    John,

In any event, difficult voice recognition seems like the error to have if you can pick and choose....
    Thanks again!

Crozier,

Thanks muchly for your comments!!!

In general, the STS is way more car than I'm truly able to deal with. For the few minor gripes I have there are probably a dozen things that delight me all the time.

The kids at Cadillac have made this the most advanced car I've ever seen and they've incorporated some truly high-end technology into a production car - which is nothing short of amazing. Overall, as a driver, I sometimes feel that I'm in an "Information Overload" state - the car tells you so much all the time. It's an effort to concentrate on it all!

I currently have about 500 miles on the ODO, and short of a power steering pump failure, my only complaints have been minor in the extreme. Of course, the Voice Recognition is a huge disappointment, but everything I need to do can be accessed by buttons anyway, so it's no great loss.

I just spoke with my salesman this morning (he calls about every two-three weeks to see how I like my cars - I tend to buy from him frequently) and we talked about the failures/oddities I'm experienceing. He's gonna chat with the Caddy Regional rep. to see if the Voice stuff is normal or how Caddy will address it.

(BTW - His name is John Boyle @ Sewell Caddy, on Lemmon Ave, in Dallas, TX. They do a wonderful job IMHO).

I have gotten a lot of comments on the car and even had a cop stop me while I was gassing it up last night and ask for a demonstration. He was really intrigued by the HUD, asking me if it was possible for someone to NOT know how fast they were going......I told him that I keep mine off!

Anyway, if you do have the opportunity to get an STS I can honestly say that you're probably gonna be pleased. While no car is perfect, this one is very definately a home-run for Caddy - and competes extremely favorably in the luxocoupe marketspace.

Regards,

John

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.